•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Most overpriced binoculars ever?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:09 AM

Check out this ad on Kingston, ON Kijiji: https://www.kijiji.c...sale/1530105630

They are asking $400.00 for a pair of "Carl Wetzlar" 10x50s, admittedly of the higher spec range from that brand. I quote: "RARE TO FIND. PRICE RIGHT FOR A PERSON WHO KNOWS THIS BRAND".

I am resisting the urge to reply to the ad, something like "Wow, yes, I do know that brand, and I own a pair of their 10x50s.  Carl Wetzlar was the house brand of optics sold by Eaton's through their catalogues, and were average anonymous Japanese-made binoculars and telescopes, branded to create a mental association with "Carl Zeiss" and "Wetzlar, Germany". The "right" price for someone who knows them would be 1/8 of what you are asking".

Must be something in the water down Kingston way. I had a series of messages earlier this year with a person in Gananoque, about 25 km wast of Kingston who was selling a similar pair, but 20x80. She insisted, despite all of the evidence I sent her that they were top quality German binoculars, and $200 was the selling price. Someone who didn't know better eventually bought them.

Someone being delusional about what they are selling doesn't constitute deliberate fraud, so I can't really report the seller in cases like this.

Edited by Senex Bibax, 17 October 2020 - 07:11 AM.

• Binojunky, Gumball, Pinac and 2 others like this

#2 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:20 AM

Typical CDN ad.  No surprises here.

I wouldn't bother replying as most either know the true value and are just trying for more or don't care.

This is why I only use that site for "entertainment" purposes, although I have got a few good deals (far/few between)

• jazzsalsadrummer likes this

#3 Simcal

Simcal

Viking 1

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:22 AM

You're going to tie yourself in knots if your mission in life is to correct all the errors in the market, or champion for the less informed.  As I get older I find myself shaking my head at what people are willing to pay.  House prices in Ontario for instance.  Teslas (LOL). You name it.. price does not equate to material/production costs. But as I get wiser I apply the brakes to that thinking asap before heading into the ditch and getting myself down.  

Thanks for the education though. Good to know.  

• peta62, Foss, ShaulaB and 4 others like this

#4 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Messenger

• Loc: Delaware beaches

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:38 AM

Are they being intentionally, or unintentionally, deceptive in their advertising?  Is it possible to be unintentionally deceptive?  There have been volumes written on the subject of advertising & sales.  Some attorneys' legal practices are based on advising you as to how close to the line you may approach and defending you if you get pinched.

"Only $19.95.  But wait, we'll double your offer, just pay a separate fee."

Edited by Sandy Swede, 17 October 2020 - 07:41 AM.

#5 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:54 AM

I once saw some Celestron Skymaster 15x70s advertised here in the UK for £125, and some 20-120x70 Sunagor Mezazooms for £250.

• doctordub likes this

#6 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:33 AM

As a CDN, I resent the implication that we are all either "loopy" or even worse, "con artists".

BTW, I have a great pair of binos for sale to the right person can appreciate a good deal. I can get you a pair of "10 metre" binos for a great price. Even better, they are located in Hawaii so you don't even have to pack them when you go on vacation. No more hoping that they will fit in the over-head compartment or worrying that the baggage handlers might drop them. Just a short hop to the Big Island, and a short drive up a 14,000 foot hill. 

Even though they have been used extensively, they have been cared for by members of CAL TECH and are in great condition. Call me for details.

Clear skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• doctordub likes this

#7 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:17 AM

I nominate the Nikon WX 50s.  $6500.

• pao and gunut like this

#8 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:52 AM

Check out this ad on Kingston, ON Kijiji: https://www.kijiji.c...sale/1530105630

They are asking $400.00 for a pair of "Carl Wetzlar" 10x50s, admittedly of the higher spec range from that brand. I quote: "RARE TO FIND. PRICE RIGHT FOR A PERSON WHO KNOWS THIS BRAND".

I am resisting the urge to reply to the ad, something like "Wow, yes, I do know that brand, and I own a pair of their 10x50s.  Carl Wetzlar was the house brand of optics sold by Eaton's through their catalogues, and were average anonymous Japanese-made binoculars and telescopes, branded to create a mental association with "Carl Zeiss" and "Wetzlar, Germany". The "right" price for someone who knows them would be 1/8 of what you are asking".

Must be something in the water down Kingston way. I had a series of messages earlier this year with a person in Gananoque, about 25 km wast of Kingston who was selling a similar pair, but 20x80. She insisted, despite all of the evidence I sent her that they were top quality German binoculars, and $200 was the selling price. Someone who didn't know better eventually bought them.

Someone being delusional about what they are selling doesn't constitute deliberate fraud, so I can't really report the seller in cases like this.

You could also buy these from K-Mart  here in Barrie Ontario, the ones I looked at were made in either Korea or Hong Kong, the only German sounding bino that I came across that were worth their  price and peformed very well were the Carton Alderblicks (spelling?), made in Japan and they came with a solid hard leather case, Dave

#9 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:19 AM

Would then have to protest Tac Glasses, Laser Energetics, Green Energy, Ageless Male, Ginseng, and every other scam out there. Righteous indignation just ain't worth the aggravation, especially when it's other people spending their money, as they please.

All my handheld binos are Zeiss, and people are constantly telling me that thousands per unit is too much to pay. Well... yeah, I guess it is... for them.

For the thrifty crowd, this nifty model is on sale now 10% off and free shipping. Now is the time to snap one up! >>>    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 73 Zeiss 20x60 on sale.jpg
  • 71 Tom's Zeiss 20x60 S scatter check flash picture.jpg

#10 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Davisville, MO

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:52 AM

Folks, I'm old and a wee bit slow on the uptake....

What does 'CDN' mean?

Edited by Bob Myler, 17 October 2020 - 11:01 AM.

• danmdak likes this

#11 ihf

ihf

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 17 October 2020 - 11:01 AM

What does 'CDN' mean?

I think it is short for "Canuck".

Edited by ihf, 17 October 2020 - 11:02 AM.

• Albie and Bob Myler like this

#12 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 17 October 2020 - 11:19 AM

You could also buy these from K-Mart  here in Barrie Ontario, the ones I looked at were made in either Korea or Hong Kong, the only German sounding bino that I came across that were worth their  price and peformed very well were the Carton Alderblicks (spelling?), made in Japan and they came with a solid hard leather case, Dave

Japanese-made "Carl Wetzlar" binoculars and telescopes aren't inherently "bad" (I have owned both) but they are nothing special.

I'm not interested in the ones for sale in Kingston, but I did try to convince the seller of the 20x80s that the $50 I was offering was a fair price, not the amount she was asking. No luck, no sale.

• jcj380 likes this

#13 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 17 October 2020 - 02:10 PM

I nominate the Nikon WX 50s.  $6500.

I do not know but that it was worth the price for what you got,

it is just that what you got met few specific needs that many other

cheaper binoculars could meet just as well.

These are probably the best 7x50s and 10x50 ever made,

like many other luxury items.

None of the reports by owners ever criticized the quality, and by 

far the complaints were by those who had never seen one-like me.

edj

Edited by edwincjones, 17 October 2020 - 02:12 PM.

• Jon Isaacs and Pinac like this

#14 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 17 October 2020 - 03:28 PM

As many have said in the past

"the value of an object is what someone is willing to pay";

"that last few degrees of quality is very expensive",

"almost as good is a lot cheaper".

the positive in this is we have a lot of choice in optics now-more than ever before

edj

• KennyJ, Jon Isaacs, Rich V. and 5 others like this

#15 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Messenger

• Loc: Delaware beaches

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:09 PM

As many have said in the past

"the value of an object is what someone is willing to pay";

"that last few degrees of quality is very expensive",

"almost as good is a lot cheaper".

the positive in this is we have a lot of choice in optics now-more than ever before

edj

Wise words.  Here is my candidate:   "Never own something that you are afraid to use."  (e.g., Oh gawd, someone just scratched my new masaydeez.)

• KennyJ and ShaulaB like this

#16 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:39 PM

The last two posts just about sum everything up.

These words of wisdom probably apply even more with the likes of cars, motorcycles and musical instruments (to name but three examples)

Kenny

#17 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:40 PM

edj

:waytogo:

The Nikon WX's are definitely high priced but that's very different than overpriced.

There's a lot of optics and mechanical components in a WX bino. When all is said and done, the R&D costs etc, Nikon probably lost money on them.

In our lab we had a camera that cost $400,000. High priced but it took photos no other camera could take.

The Vivitar 7x50s I bought at ACE hardware some years ago. $10.

Now those were dramatically overpriced. They must have had a plastic singlet for an objective. Everything was blue-green and while the eyepiece bridge did move, focus was a foreign concept.  Stirring the mush...

Jon

#18 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:28 PM

edj

All I need to know is that someone I highly respect, and who is a master optician, bought them and pretty quickly sold them.  Twice.

Edited by SandyHouTex, 17 October 2020 - 06:33 PM.

#19 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:32 PM

waytogo.gif

The Nikon WX's are definitely high priced but that's very different than overpriced.

There's a lot of optics and mechanical components in a WX bino. When all is said and done, the R&D costs etc, Nikon probably lost money on them.

In our lab we had a camera that cost $400,000. High priced but it took photos no other camera could take.

The Vivitar 7x50s I bought at ACE hardware some years ago. $10.

Now those were dramatically overpriced. They must have had a plastic singlet for an objective. Everything was blue-green and while the eyepiece bridge did move, focus was a foreign concept.  Stirring the mush...

Jon

There is a huge difference between a specialized camera at work and a consumer set of binoculars.  Where I work about 20 years ago someone needed a camera with a super high frame rate.  It was $100,000, but it was necessary to do the science we wanted to do.  The manufacturer didn’t try selling them on the consumer market.

#20 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:55 PM

All I need to know is that someone I highly respect, and who is a master optician, bought them and pretty quickly sold them.  Twice.

I think it also says something about the 1944 Bausch & Lomb Mark 41 that he was comparing it to. I have always thought it would be great to have a modern version of the Mark 41. Well, now we have one in the Nikon WX 7x50. Apparently it doesn't offer all that much more.

Still, I'd like to try that comparison for myself sometime... hmm.gif

• Pinewood, Rich V., EverlastingSky and 1 other like this

#21 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:58 PM

There is a huge difference between a specialized camera at work and a consumer set of binoculars.  Where I work about 20 years ago someone needed a camera with a super high frame rate.  It was $100,000, but it was necessary to do the science we wanted to do.  The manufacturer didn’t try selling them on the consumer market.

If it only $100k, it wasn't as fast as the one I had.. 

4579282-UCSD Schlieren cn .jpg

Nonetheless, overpriced means equal performance and quality can be purchased for significantly less.

That's not the case for the WXs. 

For a cheapskate like me, $6500 is a lot of money for a pair of binos. But I see lots of people blowing 10 times that much on a car that'll be in junkyard in 15 years.. 

Jon

• KennyJ, Pinewood, Rich V. and 2 others like this

#22 whosthebadman

whosthebadman

Vostok 1

• Loc: upper midwest? upper midbest.

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:56 PM

Relevant XKCD

• edwincjones, davidmcgo, Pinac and 1 other like this

#23 Foss

Foss

Viking 1

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:16 AM

I nominate "FM" binoculars (cheapos built for Fed Mart, a defunct discount store) being advertised as Fujinon, often for $200+

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#24 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:02 AM

And in second place behind the Nikon WXs, I suggest the Tak 20X60s:

https://astromart.co...rite-binoculars

$2400

Edited by SandyHouTex, 23 October 2020 - 10:05 AM.

#25 garret

garret

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Netherlands

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:41 AM

Newcon 28x100ED (APM 100 ED/ SD look-a-like) at $8908.= they are really overpriced.

https://www.bhphotov...d.html/overview

With BAK6 porro prism...

Edited by garret, 23 October 2020 - 10:43 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics