•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Most overpriced binoculars ever?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 23 October 2020 - 11:06 AM

Newcon 28x100ED (APM 100 ED/ SD look-a-like) at $8908.= they are really overpriced.

https://www.bhphotov...d.html/overview

With BAK6 porro prism...

Well, then, that explains the difference in price; upgraded with super duper BaK6 45° Porro prisms.  Whew, I was suspecting there was some kind of misinformation here.   undecided.gif

The APMs use those nasty roof prisms that are known to be problematic.  APM won't even tell us what prism glass it uses so it is likely to be of inferior glass as well.  I'm holding out for the fluorite version that will certainly have magical properties.  It's bound to come out soon due to the high demand for absolute perfection.  popcorn.gif

Rich

• SandyHouTex likes this

#27 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 23 October 2020 - 11:07 AM

Newcon 28x100ED (APM 100 ED/ SD look-a-like) at $8908.= they are really overpriced.

https://www.bhphotov...d.html/overview

With BAK6 porro prism...

I think that the instrument is for people who need this feature.  It isn't for typical hobbyist like I am smile.gif

The optical tubes are nitrogen-filled and IP67-rated to provide fogproof, dustproof and weatherproof performance in extreme conditions and drastic changes in temperature.

Tammy

Edited by Tamiji Homma, 23 October 2020 - 11:09 AM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#28 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Viking 1

Posted 23 October 2020 - 11:47 AM

according to this list, there are a couple of bak6  glasses.

https://www.uni-opti...-glass_p45.html

Dunno if that's relevant or not though .  Regards, Pat

#29 gwlee

gwlee

Vanguard

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 23 October 2020 - 11:54 AM

I nominate the Nikon WX 50s.  $6500.

Well, I would like to get a look through them. For $6,500 they would have to be pretty amazing 10x50 binoculars when a Fujinon FMT-SX goes for  about $700, leaving $5,800 on the table to buy the mother of all small refractors. 

• SandyHouTex likes this

#30 brentwood

brentwood

Skylab

• Loc: SW BC Canada

Posted 23 October 2020 - 05:06 PM

You could also buy these from K-Mart  here in Barrie Ontario, the ones I looked at were made in either Korea or Hong Kong, the only German sounding bino that I came across that were worth their  price and peformed very well were the Carton Alderblicks (spelling?), made in Japan and they came with a solid hard leather case, Dave

Funny you mention this as I came across some Adlerblicks a few years ago, the 10x50, and just love them.

Also , I'll always remember Barrie ON as one of my best Binocular buys. In a pawn shop, they had a display case with high intensity lights shining on some jewellery , watches, Kurt Muller, Tasco binoculars, etc.  Down on the floor below, with some hammers and drills , was a set of Bushnell Rangemasters. I picked them up, pristine, though a bit dusty, and in perfect alignment, no price marked. 

I went up to the shady looking guy behind the counter who had a huge Moustache and I think a black eyepatch, but I could be imagining that, and said in my roughest voice, "How much for these old binocs I found on the floor?"  Notice how I didn't say 'Bushnell' as for some reason, many Pawn Shop people seem to put 'Bush-Nell' up there with Zeiss!  In an even rougher voice he said , "Ten Bucks" . I slapped a tenner on the counter, and off I went, yelling "Start the Car" as soon as I got outside. Us rough guys don't bother with this sales tax thing! 

• EverlastingSky and Foss like this

#31 Charleybird

Charleybird

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: London, England

Posted 26 October 2020 - 02:02 AM

I'd happily buy a WX or a Fujinon 25x150 EM, if I had the views to use them and could afford them.

But these Swarovski Nomad 8x30:

https://www.swarovsk...-nomad-p5497475

shocked.gif

I'd rather get a mint pair of CZJ

lol.gif

#32 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 26 October 2020 - 04:26 AM

I'd happily buy a WX or a Fujinon 25x150 EM, if I had the views to use them and could afford them.

says a lot re LP and current status of astronomy, and economy  frown.gif

#33 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 26 October 2020 - 09:01 AM

Well, I would like to get a look through them. For $6,500 they would have to be pretty amazing 10x50 binoculars when a Fujinon FMT-SX goes for  about $700, leaving $5,800 on the table to buy the mother of all small refractors. 

I've not had a look but from what I understand, they do it right from the eyepieces to the prisms to the field flatteners to the objectives.

You can buy a 4 inch achromat F/5 and a 2 inch 30 mm Wide Field eyepiece and a diagonal for $400-$500.

A TeleVue NP-101 with a 31 mm Nagler and a 2 inch Everbrite diagonal is right at $5000. That's as perfect a low power wide field view as there is. From what I've read, the WXs seem comparable to twin 10x50 NP-101s.  

Certainly I'm not buying a pair but optical perfection is expensive and just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's overpriced. 

It just means I'm not willing to pay the price. 

Jon

• mkothe, ianatcn and Andrea_b like this

#34 ihf

ihf

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 26 October 2020 - 10:25 AM

Are the Nikon WX still made or were they a one time run only? They are still in stock in Japan, in Switzerland and maybe the 7x50 is available at Nikon US. If they were a one time production run celebrating 100 years that after several years still has not sold, then they are overpriced. Maybe not by much, hard to tell as we don't know Nikon's expectations, sales numbers, profit, halo effect etc. They are quite an oddball. But if they keep making and selling them at a profit, then at least in Japan and Switzerland they are not overpriced.

As for Swarovski, from all I know the company is very profit oriented and knows how to keep their customers happy. It is clear that at the moment they are not overpriced. Then again Swarovski started as a trinket maker, so they know their ways around fashion.

#35 chris charen

chris charen

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Auckland. New Zealand

Posted 26 October 2020 - 04:46 PM

On my local on line trading site in New Zealand there many examples of over priced binoculars.

I have given the companies feedback many times and tell them they are selling overpriced rubbish but unfortunately I tend to get blacklisted.

''These Sunagor ultimate binoculars are have an impressive mega zoom and are believed to be the world's most powerful. This model zooms from a minimum power of 30x all the way up to 160x magnification. Also, it's front objective lens size is 70mm. The binoculars are rubber armoured, have a 70mm lens size and are of BCF (one piece) construction. They come complete with a tripod adapter, a case, dust-caps, polishing cloth, neck or wrist strap and an instruction manual.''

The price is 784 NZD which is 402 UKP and 523 USD.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1268992171.jpg

Edited by chris charen, 26 October 2020 - 07:32 PM.

• SandyHouTex likes this

#36 jazzsalsadrummer

jazzsalsadrummer

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 26 October 2020 - 04:56 PM

You're going to tie yourself in knots if your mission in life is to correct all the errors in the market, or champion for the less informed.  As I get older I find myself shaking my head at what people are willing to pay.  House prices in Ontario for instance.  Teslas (LOL). You name it.. price does not equate to material/production costs. But as I get wiser I apply the brakes to that thinking asap before heading into the ditch and getting myself down.  

Thanks for the education though. Good to know.  

Simcal, you forgot Starbucks LOL

#37 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:25 PM

Great call, Chris!

Had I known 18 years ago that the 70mm Sunagor Megazooms priced at £250 in the UK at the time would have turned out to be such a "profitable investment", I should have held on the specimen I "bought". lol.gif

For the benefit of the vast majority who weren't members here until long after the "purchase", and who may be wondering why on earth I "bought" one in the first place, the reason all along was simply to see first hand if they were as terrible as I was already 99% sure they would be -- and they were!

The mail order / click and collect company Argos, from where I purchased them had a "no reason necessary" 28 day returns policy at the time, but they were so painful to look through that I simply couldn't bear to hold on to them any longer than the 24 hours necessary to "accomplish the mission".

Kenny

Edited by KennyJ, 26 October 2020 - 05:45 PM.

• Jon Isaacs and WALL.E like this

#38 NDfarmer

NDfarmer

Messenger

• -----

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:41 PM

I suppose those wondering about Carl Wetzlar optics should know that the name came from 2 things.

Carl Zeiss and Wetzlar, the home of Leitz, and made in Japan.  A good combination for a name.

As far as quality of the optics, I have no experience.

• WALL.E likes this

#39 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:14 PM

Are the Nikon WX still made or were they a one time run only? They are still in stock in Japan, in Switzerland and maybe the 7x50 is available at Nikon US. If they were a one time production run celebrating 100 years that after several years still has not sold, then they are overpriced. Maybe not by much, hard to tell as we don't know Nikon's expectations, sales numbers, profit, halo effect etc. They are quite an oddball. But if they keep making and selling them at a profit, then at least in Japan and Switzerland they are not overpriced.

As for Swarovski, from all I know the company is very profit oriented and knows how to keep their customers happy. It is clear that at the moment they are not overpriced. Then again Swarovski started as a trinket maker, so they know their ways around fashion.

Yes, it was a one-time run.

There’s basically no market for $6500 50mm binoculars.

Edited by SandyHouTex, 26 October 2020 - 07:15 PM.

#40 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:10 PM

Yes, it was a one-time run.

There’s basically no market for $6500 50mm binoculars.

There's a market but it's a small one. And it's even smaller for 50 mm binos that weigh 5.5 pounds. 

I'm ok with my 10x50 Orion Ultraviews.  

I'd probably never use the WX's even if someone gave them to me.. to costly to use the way I abuse binos.

Jon

• SandyHouTex and ihf like this

#41 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:54 AM

I suppose those wondering about Carl Wetzlar optics should know that the name came from 2 things.

Carl Zeiss and Wetzlar, the home of Leitz, and made in Japan.  A good combination for a name.

As far as quality of the optics, I have no experience.

Variable. Not junk by any means, just average anonymous Japanese optics from the 1960s - 1970s. Also mostly sold as the house brand of certain Canadian department stores.

• WALL.E likes this

#42 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Viking 1

• Loc: Jackson Heights, NY ... for now

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:06 PM

If you in the market for binoculars new or old (same stories with telescopes) and search Craigslist, Marketplace amd Ebay on the regular basis you will find hundreds if not thousands of those ads with unclear descriptions, blurry pictures but ridiculous if not outlandish prices. People are absolutely clueless about what they sell and completely delusional about value of their items. Always wondered if its laziness, greed or just lack of the common sense. Marketplace is a beehive of that activity.

• SandyHouTex likes this

#43 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:18 AM

In fairness to the seller of the "Carl Wetzlar" binoculars that I started this thread about, one of the photos in the ad is marked "Police Auction". It's possible the binoculars were misrepresented at the auction, where the seller presumably acquired them for a "flip".

But that would double down on the theme of this post..

Edited by Senex Bibax, 28 October 2020 - 08:18 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics