•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone Know What Became of the 10" APO's that John Gregory had a group project do?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2020 - 02:05 PM

Back in 1988, optician John Gregory recruited about 8-pairs of amateur Astronomers for this unique project. They all purchased 10" (at least I think it was 10") pairs of exotic lens blanks. From what I remember, John and the group would meet at a convient location for all of them and under the guidance of John, would grind and polish these blanks to become (F/10 I think) semi-apo lenses which they would also mount in a cell, build a tube assembly and a mount of their choice.

The whole idea was to get amateurs who normally not take on such a daunting task, and complete a great refractor in time for the great opposition of Mars in October 1988. Because they bought so many blanks, John was able to get a lower price than if you would only purchase 1 set.

I would to know if anyone remembers this or better yet was involved in the project?

Clear skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#2 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:19 PM

John Gregory had a folded 8-inch apochromat mounted on a Springfield type mount at Texas Star Party one year, perhaps in the early 1990s. It gave fine views of Saturn, and was very comfortable to use. 

Clear skies, Alan

#3 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:38 PM

"A Quest for the Perfect Refractor" in Gleanings for ATM's, June, 1987, Sky & Telescope, pages 662 - 667, describes John Gregory's 8-inh f/15 SK-15/FK-52 doublet.

In the article he says he plans to display it at Texas Star Party, so it was likely before 1990 that I saw it there.

But I don't recall reading or hearing about John Gregory trying to recruit ATMs to make his design. If I heard about the project it is gone from memory now. Let's hope someone else has details.

Clear skies, Alan 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics