•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Visual Filter Use in Astrophotography

astrophotography ccd dso equipment filters imaging LP
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ICit2

ICit2

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:14 PM

Over the course of just a few nights I was able to capture the Helix Nebula under starry skies in western South Dakota.  But I was mostly curious to see how the Starwave 152mm achromatic f/5.9, purchased for visual work only, would perform on DSO imaging. And even more in doubt was whether or not the Orion Atlas Pro AZ/Eq-G, at a 900mm fl, could even handle an imaging platform weighing 30 pounds! 

Another "wonder" was, for the OIII channel I was going to use a Thousand Oaks LP-2 (blue cell) 2" filter.  Knowing that this filter is designed for visual work, I stacked a Baader  UV/IR cut on top of a Baader Contrast Boast filter and screwed them in to the end of a 2" nose adapter.  In the filter tray was the Thousand Oaks LP-2.

I was able to run 10 minute subs, which far exceeded my expectations.  I believe some of this was due to the great PA a guy can get with QHY's PoleMaster.  I really like the speed of the scope and focal length for imaging. Great focuser too.  And the Thousand Oaks LP-2 filter didn't produce any halos in this configuration. The Baader Contrast Boast filter also seemed to do a nice job on suppressing a Waning Gibbous Illumination: 74% Moon. Another plus and surprise. 

My efforts to determine the bandwidth of the LP-2 filter came up about 16nm.  If anyone can verify or dispute this, please enlighten us. Thousands Oaks doesn't provided this measurement for this filter.

This is the heaviest platform I've successfully used.  What is the heaviest one you guys had and how long were the subs? 

Helix Nebula / NGC7293   2.5hrs OIII, 2hrs Ha 7nm (Image cropped), SBIG STF8300 Mono.

NGC7293 4hrs 30min W

Edited by ICit2, 17 October 2020 - 04:18 PM.

• Jim Waters and Elaine Stachowiak like this

#2 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:30 AM

Neat! Glad you’re enjoying the setup 🤗

Edited by Raginar, 18 October 2020 - 11:30 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, ccd, dso, equipment, filters, imaging, LP

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics