•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Leupold Yosemite Porro 8x30

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bill david

Bill david

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:45 PM

Was looking for a small pair of Porro binoculars (I'm small) that I could keep in my truck console and not worry if they were stolen.

A family member had a high value object in Phoenix stolen from his truck.

Found Leopold 8x30 Porro that are discontinued, but available. Looked at Kowa and several other brands.

Saw a you tube review, optics rated 5, but eyecups rated 2.

Thought, maybe they had a bad pair, but bought a number of Leopold products over the years and the thing that swayed me was their Gold Ring Warranty, which no one is better.

Used the warranty one time, no hassle.

So bought the subject Binoculars and am highly impressed for the money!!

Images and color are razor sharp, comfortable to use.

These are not astro's, but had transparent sky lately and the Pleiades were very impressive in this tiny binocular (took out bigger ones and due to the sky conditions, remembered why I love two eyes).

Well, my two cents, hope it helps someone!

BillDavid

• Mark9473 likes this

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:05 PM

They're a bit of a cult binocular, so I'm not surprised you're pleased.

Is there anything particular about the eyecups?

#3 MisterDan

MisterDan

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:08 PM

That's a very nice binocular, Bill.  Don't underestimate a fine pair of 30mm porros -- there are PLENTY of celestial goodies available at 30mm (and even smaller apertures).

Remember:  a handy pair of 8x30s is infinitely better than a pair of 15x70s that are unavailable, miles away at home.

One example of what 30mm can "see:"  under nice, clear, dark skies (away from city sky glow), my old 8x32 Canons (roof prisms) showed me the Eastern Veil Nebula with little problem. Another night (same location), I tried for the Eastern Veil with 8x25 Nikon (roofs).  Again, it was there (not bright and flashy, but still cool to see in such a small bincular).

See, now you've got me looking at those Yosemites...cool.gif

Best wishes.

Dan

Edited by MisterDan, 17 October 2020 - 06:08 PM.

• Bill david likes this

#4 Bill david

Bill david

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:18 PM

Received E-mails from Mark9473 and MisterDan.

Do not know how to contact them, but really appreciate your contact.

Not sure how this works?

Sometimes you post and you do not know if someone appreciates it or you will be ignored or worst!

Sometimes afraid to comment, then said, what the hell.

Just wanted to share how happy I am with this low cost binocular!

Hope it helps a viewer.

BillDavid

#5 MisterDan

MisterDan

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:45 PM

You are very welcome, Bill.

I think you simply received email notifications that we replied to your original post -- one email for each reply.  Each email is simply a "heads up" and contains the text of my (and Mark's) replies.

-And you're getting another email right after I click "Post" and submit this reply. smile.gif

Up in the right-hand corner of your Cloudy Nights screen (when you're logged in), you should see your member name (BillDavid), an open envelope icon, and a "talking bubble" square with a silhouette inside.  The open envelope icon is a click-able link to the Cloudy Nights Messenger tool, through which you can send personal messages to other Cloudy Nights members.  The talking bubble icon is another click-able link to the Cloudy Nights Notifications tool, in which you can find alerts to all sorts of things pertaining to you and your Cloudy Nights profile, such as:  "Woodstock liked a post your made in [Forum topic]..."  or  "Joe Cool quoted a post you made..."  and so on.

Take care.

Dan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics