•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Class project

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bryce

Bryce

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kansas City

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:53 PM

Hello everyone,

I’m a university student working on a design project with a few other students. We are looking to design a product that can simplify astrophotography and telescope use in general. If anyone is willing to be interviewed over zoom about their equipment and experiences using that equipment, please message me.

I’d be happy to speak with experienced users and beginners like myself.

Thanks,
Bryce

#2 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:27 PM

PM sent.

#3 luxo II

luxo II

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:58 AM

The Synscan and Celestron handsets are dreadful hangovers from the 1980's... a very poor text-based user interface with commands requiring ENTER and ESCape ... real dinosaurs from the early 1980s microprocessor era which is when the people who designed these learnt their trade.

High-time that paradigm was ditched and replaced with a graphical user interface to modern standards, along the lines of what SkySafari does, but fixing the interface between SkySafari and Skywatcher/Celestron scopes which is overly complex, still requires the handset and additional apps running, and very few actually get it to work - and even then its flaky.

Make an equivalent that works easily and directly just using the necessary hardware - without the Synscan handset, and without other clunky unreliable apps - would be nice; and using the location/date/time automatically from iOS and a rough bearing to N or S pole. And do it all wirelessly - cables are last century.

IMHO the user should learn the rest, starting with a Planisphere in one hand and Norton's Star Atlas in the other.

Better yet - using 2-3 stars, solve the Surveyors Equation in reverse to determine the transformation between the mount coordinate system and the actual sky coordinates, allowing for offset from the pole (equatorial or in altaz mode), plus a pointing model.

Edited by luxo II, 18 October 2020 - 10:33 PM.

• BinoGuy and Bryce like this

#4 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:09 AM

A big time-saver would be a mount that could self-polar-align. Obviously it's not at all easy to do (I don't know any mounts, including the pricey AP's and SB's that do it) and yet it seems that all you need is to be able to rotate in two directions, thus two motors, and some software. It could then combine this with star alignment (a known and solved problem) and be ready for either astrophotography or visual observing. 

• Bryce likes this

#5 luxo II

luxo II

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:35 PM

A big time-saver would be a mount that could self-polar-align. Obviously it's not at all easy to do (I don't know any mounts, including the pricey AP's and SB's that do it) and yet it seems that all you need is to be able to rotate in two directions, thus two motors, and some software. It could then combine this with star alignment (a known and solved problem) and be ready for either astrophotography or visual observing. 

Using an altaz GOTO mount there is no need for this. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics