•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ready to Start Imaging!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 svsalako

svsalako

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Vermont

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:57 PM

Hi All --

After an agonizing period of weeks during which my brand new EQ6R-Pro didn't work, I have finally resolved the problem by replacing the motor board. Before, no communication with EQMOD, NINA or anything else. Now, it works perfectly. Today I was able to successfully connect NINA to my camera, my guide scope, and the mount.

So, as a total newbie, I'd love some suggestions for a first target to image, as well as any settings like ISO, length of exposure, and so on. Here are my particulars:

1) Location: Vermont, rural, bortle 3 on a good night

2) Telescope: AT72EDII w/ Televue .8 reducer flattener

3) Mount: EQ6R-Pro

4) Guide Can: ZWO ASI 120 mini

5) Camera: Canon DSLR 77D

6) Software: NINA and PHD II

Thanks for all the support, advice, and suggestions.

Cheers, and clear skies!

Grey

#2 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:02 PM

Here is a spreadsheet I created with targets ordered by RA, with best day of the year listed, and estimating best FL for particular sensor size.   Enter in your Lat and Long.

Attached File  Astro Targets.xlsx   24.5KB   23 downloads

• acommonsoul and rkinnett like this

#3 AhBok

AhBok

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:12 PM

Andromeda comes to mind immediately. It’s a great first target that is easy to find and not too difficult to process. Try ISO400 with your Canon. Use 120 sec exposures and try to get at least 30-40 of them. Yes, more is better, but an hours worth of exposure will be easy and produce an image you will remember for life. Get at least 20 darks, flats and bias frames, too.
  • drd715 likes this

#4 Kevin Thurman

Kevin Thurman

Mariner 2

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:35 PM

IMO, if your camera is modded, and it fits in your FOV, NGC7000 (north america nebula) is the easiest target to shoot period. It's big and bright and easy to find and not very HDR which makes processing easy. It's also a higher DEC than any of the milky way core objects so it will be in the sky really long.

If not, Maybe M31, another easy to find target. It can be more tough to process because of the core but still very bright and satisfying early target. M45 also comes to mind but isn't as high up yet. Also, you can still shoot M16 or M8 + M20 if you are going go to bed early anyways.

• rjhat3 likes this

#5 APshooter

APshooter

Skylab

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:09 PM

If you're up late, M42 in Orion is always a favorite.

Edited by APshooter, 17 October 2020 - 09:09 PM.

• drd715 likes this

#6 rjhat3

rjhat3

Mariner 2

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:33 PM

Congrats on getting your mount working! It’s a great mount. Just some advice I wanted to pass on to a new imager, because I was where you are just a few years ago. As far as a target, I really enjoy galaxies. Bodes galaxy is a good beginner galaxy. Andromeda is awesome, but as said before, the challenge with it is processing.
As for the advice, take the time to develop a setup routine that is solid. This should include making sure you have the software and hardware to make it as quick and accurate as possible. I personally do the mechanical setup and leveling with a digital level, then use sharpcap for a precise polar alignment. Afterwards, I platesolve andsync the mount with APT.
Getting a solid routine down will make things go much smoother, and you will likely know early on if something isn’t quite right.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics