•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

6x30 vs an upgrade to 9x50

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alfiesauce

Alfiesauce

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:11 PM

Hi all

I’m dipping my toe into the world of viewing with the kids. Between looking and star charts and looking up into the sky and even having them becoming more aware of the weather, cloud cover, and moon phases it’s been already pretty rewarding. They’ve been pointing out Jupiter and Mars to anyone who will listen to them all summer, and now mars too.

Sooo i picked up a 6” dob mounted on an equatorial mount off Craigslist. 
I realize the equatorial mount is a bit more challenging, but I’m never one to shy away from that and I wanted the motors so I could line stuff up and then be able to let the kids look in for longer times without me having to keep realigning it between each of them. It was also in my budget- a big plus when dealing with new hobbies and my better 3/4ers here in the home front.

ive got a 26mm pollosi lens and a really (really) cheap 8mm that was able to draw out a bit of detail on Mars last weekend, no ice cap but definitely the shading across the main areas.

no barllows yet.

I need to get a Collimation tool and was looking at getting the Orion Cheshire and steer clear of a lazer for now.
Ive got a bit more money I could spend. 

I was thinking about getting the Orion 9x50 lighted right angle view finder to upgrade from the narrow field 6x30 that I’m assuming is the standard finder that came with it.

does that seem like a good place to invest a bit of cash or should I be holding out for eye pieces and filters? 

thank you for the advice in advance

#2 vtornado

vtornado

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:36 PM

Hello and welcome to CN!

A 9x50 will have a narrower field than a 6x30.  If you are concentrated on bright objects the 6x30 is fine.  When you are going for faint stuff, the

extra light gathering of the 50mm helps.  I have both.  If I'm doing planets, the 6x30 goes out.  If searching for a faint fuzzy the 9x50.

You did not state what mount  you have.  A 9x50 finder is much larger than a 6x30.  If you are having shakiness issues, the

9x50 could push you over the edge. 

I don't use filter for planets.  In small scopes most filters are just too dark and hold back too much precious light.  I have had some success with

an 82A light blue on Mars and Jupiter, but the enhancement is subtle.  The filter I do use a lot is a narrow band light pollution filter.

For light polluted skies, this helps pull faint nebula out of the background.

With that EQ mount motors are not necessary, If you can polar align the mount, a simple twist of the RA slow motion control is

enough to keep the planet in the scope for about 20 mintues.   There is a drive called the celestron logic drive, and it fits on some

EQ mounts.  It is cheap at $35.00 and is good enough to keep objects centered for a long time.  A dec motor is not necessary.

I use a barlowed laser to adjust my primary mirror.  It is fast, accurate, and can be done in the dark.  You may still need to adjust your

secondary, and that is best done with the site tube you mentioned.  Once the secondary is adjusted it rarely needs readjustment.

My primary seems to need just a little tweak each night I am out.

There are two dobs in general popularity, one is the classic 6 inch f/8, the other is a table top dob which is 6 inch f/5.

Let us know what have.   Also what kind of eq mount is the scope on?  That might be hard to figure out as many

are unlabeled, a pic would help us on this site.

Good budget eyepieces are the gold line eyepieces sold on ebay, or Paradigm dual ED eyepieces sold by our sponsor.

They each will have more eye relief and a wider field of view than your plossl's that came with the scope.  Some of the

shorter fl's  like the gold line 6 have black out issues if you don't hold your eye in the right place.  That might be difficult for kids.

The longer fl gold lines work great.  The pardigm's dont have the blackout issue. 

Don't belittle plossl's they are sharp, they fall down when the focal length is small due to the very short eye relief, and the field

of view is limited to around 50 degrees.

VT

Edited by vtornado, 17 October 2020 - 09:36 PM.

#3 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Viking 1

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:37 PM

My recommendation would be get the 9X50 RACI.  Align it with the scope in the daytime with the farthest thing you can see.  I also recommend you get Astro-Tech Paradigm ED eyepieces from our sponsor, Astronomics.  About $60.  You can also find them used in the Classified here on CN.  They have a better field of view than plossels.  Very decent inexpensive eyepieces.  Collimation tools are worth the investment to get the most out of your scope.  I hate equatorial mounts.  A Dobsonian is so much easier to use, IMO.  Yes, at high magnification the target moves quickly across the eyepiece but it doesn't take long to be able to keep up with it with a Dobsonian mount.  This is the place to learn.  You can spend forever reading the various Forums and learn all about eyepieces, etc.  My grandkids love looking through my scopes and binoculars.  You might want to invest in a pair of binos.  Inexpensive ones are great for kids.  Have fun!

#4 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:59 PM

A 9x right angle finder is extremely difficult to point at an object.  You will need a supplementary red dot or similar finder to complement it.  I will advise a beginner to stick with a straight through finder.  They are much much easier to point at a celestial object.

#5 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:58 AM

I recommend getting both a RACI and a red dot finder.

Buy an extra finderscope shoe and either screw in or use heavy duty double sided tape to mount a red dot finder which is very light

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,231&sr=8-3

#6 Alfiesauce

Alfiesauce

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the ideas.
the scope is a Celestron c6-n : the 750mm f/5
The mount is a CG-4 I think. It’s the black one not the white one, it has the polar scope installed in it.
It came with the dual axis motors kit.

I like the idea of removing  the declination motor and just keeping the right ascension motor, the declination motor and gearing has a fair amount of slop in it which I’m sure I could clean up but manual control seems easy enough.

Would something like this work for mounting both a red dot finder and the scope? - 

https://www.amazon.c...aps,184&sr=8-13

#7 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for the ideas.
the scope is a Celestron c6-n : the 750mm f/5
The mount is a CG-4 I think. It’s the black one not the white one, it has the polar scope installed in it.
It came with the dual axis motors kit.

I like the idea of removing  the declination motor and just keeping the right ascension motor, the declination motor and gearing has a fair amount of slop in it which I’m sure I could clean up but manual control seems easy enough.

Would something like this work for mounting both a red dot finder and the scope? - 

https://www.amazon.c...aps,184&sr=8-13

Yes it will work however I'm not a fan of the dual bracket.   I had one and sold it.  It's heavy, and awkward in use and in balance.  Having a second shoe is cheaper,  lighter, better positioned because you can put it where its best for you

• Alfiesauce likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics