•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M33 Tiff stack from DSS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sabersix

sabersix

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Midway GA

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:13 PM

I have a tiff stack from deep sky stacker that I THINK I have good data (I know the amp glow is present, I had trouble with the dark files, long story).

I have processed this several different times, can any one offer some help on this?

Here is a link to download it      https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

This is about 120 total exposures, 3 min light frames using my Skywatcher ED 80mm, with a 0.85 flattener, and a ASI 183MC pro.

Anyway, if someone would like to show me how to process this in PS I would appreciate it.

Attached is a small JPG of my hack at processing.

Sean

Attached Thumbnails

• m33 final JPG smal 2.jpg

• chrysalis likes this

#2 joeytroy

joeytroy

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Belen, NM, USA

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:24 PM

Here is a great video to get you started

https://www.youtube....h?v=5GgruZ-1zQ0

• sabersix likes this

#3 Gipht

Gipht

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:50 PM

Here is a quick  run through using Star Tools. The color balance I got was different, but just what Star Tools suggested.  Color is by a persons preference, and many people prefer more blue.   Seems to me you did an excellent job in processing.  The data looked very good to me.  Nice round stars.  As always, more integration time would bring out more detail.

Very good effort!

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

• sabersix likes this

#4 Ethanwyh

Ethanwyh

Vostok 1

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:52 AM

m33-stack.jpg

Processed in PI

Dynamic Crop

DBE (ABE will give weird artifacts)
Auto colour or Background neutralisation + Colour calibration
SCNR

MLT Denoise 
Extract L

Do masked stretch/soft stretch on both

Range mask on RGB image, boost saturation and contrast/brightness to your taste

Invert the same range mask t bring down background levels

On Luminance channel, deconvolute and do a soft MMT denoise

LRGB combine (i did this in photoshop)

Bring back to PI, do HDR transformation + dark structure enhance

End

This isn't a good edit  as I do mainly narrowband imaging (I have limited hands-on + practice with OSC data so thanks for the opportunity!)

I noticed that there are amp glows on both sides of your master, did you check that your darks are taken properly?

Edited by Ethanwyh, 18 October 2020 - 10:55 AM.

• sabersix likes this

#5 joeytroy

joeytroy

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:53 AM

I wanted to take a stab at it as I think it helps us all grow in learning to edit more. This one is with Affinity Photo and using the Soft Star Glow macro from James Ritson https://www.dropbox....sxyTYeJBNa?dl=0 & his Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBV6p5T_Xkk&t

Attached Thumbnails

• m33 stack.jpg

• sabersix likes this

#6 sabersix

sabersix

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Midway GA

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:32 PM

Wow!!  you guys are awesome.  Thank you.  Ok, More integration time is called for.

The issue with the darks is that I did not use any darks!!  Every time I used them, there was NO DATA at all.  I either have something set wrong in DSS or I didn't really have true dark frames.    This is something to work on.

Thank you all.  I love this community.

Sean

#7 joeytroy

joeytroy

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:48 PM

Wow!!  you guys are awesome.  Thank you.  Ok, More integration time is called for.

The issue with the darks is that I did not use any darks!!  Every time I used them, there was NO DATA at all.  I either have something set wrong in DSS or I didn't really have true dark frames.    This is something to work on.

Thank you all.  I love this community.

Sean

Agreed! I have only been here for a while but love this place! I have been using Backyard Nikon which labels all the images based on what I am doing, lights, darks, bias, flat and then I slap them into sub folders when I work on them in DSS. Helps keep track of all the files cause it can be a pain for sure if all the subs are in one folder. This guy has a good tutorial that I followed even though I am not using Photoshop

https://www.youtube....h?v=pXcRKoxTPVg

If you look in the description he has links for different parts of the video. He starts using DSS at 19:16 to explain his process.

Edited by joeytroy, 18 October 2020 - 03:51 PM.

• sabersix likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics