•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Canon APS-C Filter Mod Question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:20 PM

I am considering modding my APS-C Camera on my own, but I cannot find the dimensions and thickness of a full spectrum filter to replace the removed filters.

Can someone point me in the right direction, I would be grateful. 

Thank you.

#2 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:24 AM

Your don't really need to put in clear glass; just remove all LPFs and you'll have a full-spectrum mod. Best would be 'Removed LPF-2'. More here.... Regards

Edited by mmalik, 18 October 2020 - 01:34 AM.

• galacticinsomnia likes this

#3 awong101

awong101

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:30 AM

Or you can do what I did and HA modify your camera.

https://www.cloudyni...e#entry10488584

https://alpineastro....stro-conversion

Easily one of the most value for the buck upgrade in this crazy hobby.

#4 m1618

m1618

Viking 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: CA

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:49 AM

Which camera? DSLR or Mirrorless? Dedicated for astro?
I agree with mmalik. No glass needed. You might have heard it affects focus but that's not the case if you'll be focussing via the LCD on a mirrorless camera not the viewfinder. In fact, you'll read more about unwanted reflections occurring using certain types of glass. 

#5 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:42 AM

Or you can do what I did and HA modify your camera.

To clarify, 'Removed LPF-2' is same as what's generally referred to as h-alpha mod. But not all (modern) cameras allow such a mod since LPFs may be bonded together. Regards

• awong101 likes this

#6 awong101

awong101

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:06 AM

To clarify, 'Removed LPF-2' is same as what's generally referred to as h-alpha mod. But not all (modern) cameras allow such a mod since LPFs may be bonded together. Regards

Oh I didn't know that... thanks!

#7 SteveInNZ

SteveInNZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:31 AM

The answer to your original question is here at Astronomik.com.

Steve.

• mmalik and galacticinsomnia like this

#8 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:03 PM

Thank you all, it is a canon T6s, it is basically new, maybe a thousand shutter clicks if that.  I wanted to do the full spectrum mod, but retain a barrier in front of the sensor for dust, and hoping I can keep the cleaning function as well as give me a surface to clean if I get dust. 

How much of a clean room does this really require.  I'm pretty geeky, but hands getting older, is it really that hard, is it worth the 300.00 plus shipping to send it out ?  Seems a bit steep to me.

#9 awong101

awong101

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:07 PM

Thank you all, it is a canon T6s, it is basically new, maybe a thousand shutter clicks if that.  I wanted to do the full spectrum mod, but retain a barrier in front of the sensor for dust, and hoping I can keep the cleaning function as well as give me a surface to clean if I get dust. 

How much of a clean room does this really require.  I'm pretty geeky, but hands getting older, is it really that hard, is it worth the 300.00 plus shipping to send it out ?  Seems a bit steep to me.

I took apart my camera in my living room, on a coffee table, and I left everything out in the open so the silicone can dry over night. Of course, I bagged the sensor inside a ziplock back, but everything else was just out in the open overnight.

Having said all that, I would definitely opt for a clean room if I can. I like DIY stuff if it's within my capabilities, so paying few hundreds more in labor didn't sit well with me.

• galacticinsomnia likes this

#10 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:08 PM

The answer to your original question is here at Astronomik.com.

Steve.

I didn't see any dimensions of the filters, just that they sell them.  I have high grade glass in various thickness .7mm to 2.mm that I can easily cut/shape/polish myself, so I was trying to get glass so I wasn't paying 100.00 for a piece of glass. 

#11 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for the help.  Decided to just send it in. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics