•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ6 Pro mount not tracking

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bernard Murdoch

Bernard Murdoch

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Montreal

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:42 PM

Last night I set up my gear to auto-guide and take test shots with my new...ahem, ASI294 camera. I made it to the part in PHD where I'm looping images from the guide camera and noticed the stars would jump considerably in one direction from frame to frame on the computer. I made sure clutches were tight, unplugged the GPUSB from the mount  leaving only the power cable and handset connected to the mount. No change in the tracking. I checked my alignment, turned the mount off and on again, went through the initialization process anew. Oh, did I mention that the mount would slew beautifully on both axes !

That's pretty much it. Slews nicely but does not track. I typed a few keywords on Google hoping someone had encountered the same problem but nothing helpful came up. I'm hopeful someone here can give me a few clues as to what's going on. Sure would be appreciated ! flowerred.gif

Edited by Bernard Murdoch, 18 October 2020 - 11:27 AM.

#2 otocycle

otocycle

Apollo

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:47 PM

Not sure I understand your full description and have to ask an obvious question...did you complete a GoTo star alignment or manually start sidereal tracking using the handset menu ?

#3 Bernard Murdoch

Bernard Murdoch

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:58 PM

Not sure I understand your full description and have to ask an obvious question...did you complete a GoTo star alignment or manually start sidereal tracking using the handset menu ?

Thanks for your quick reply ! The question is: why is my mount slewing OK but not tracking ?

...I manually started sideral tracking using the handset menu.

Edited by Bernard Murdoch, 17 October 2020 - 11:08 PM.

#4 azastronomer

azastronomer

Sputnik

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:14 AM

As far as I know, it doesn't track without an alignment. 

#5 azastronomer

azastronomer

Sputnik

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:16 AM

But I'd love to be wrong about this and just be able to track an object.

Since I just got an old EQ6R myself (waiting to try it) and polaris (and other north objects) are blocked by buildings and my low floor height...

#6 Kevin Thurman

Kevin Thurman

Mariner 2

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:45 AM

Did you polar align? (dumb question but you never know)

#7 Bernard Murdoch

Bernard Murdoch

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:45 PM

Got things figured out this morning... you do have to align on at least one star before it will track. Thanks for the cues. 

But I'd love to be wrong about this and just be able to track an object.

Since I just got an old EQ6R myself (waiting to try it) and polaris (and other north objects) are blocked by buildings and my low floor height...

I think you can do a rough polar align by using an iphone's compass set to true north as a guide and your location's latitude for altitude.  After star aligning ( you have a choice of many stars in the handset  menu ), tracking should be suitable.

#8 azastronomer

azastronomer

Sputnik

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:35 PM

Got things figured out this morning... you do have to align on at least one star before it will track. Thanks for the cues. 

I think you can do a rough polar align by using an iphone's compass set to true north as a guide and your location's latitude for altitude.  After star aligning ( you have a choice of many stars in the handset  menu ), tracking should be suitable.

I will try that out. Thanks.

#9 nikivan

nikivan

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:15 AM

My EQ6-R Pro recently developed a similar problem. It would stop tracking intermittently, then after a month it got worse and the RA axis stopped moving at all, followed by the DEC shorter after that. The controller would show 'slewing to target ...' but there would be no movement at all. Skywatcher support suggested it is a faulty control board and asked me to send the entire head back to them to be serviced. I've shipped the mount more than 10 days ago and I am yet to hear anything back. My request for ETA is still without a reply. Hopefully your issue is not as serious. 

#10 Bernard Murdoch

Bernard Murdoch

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:55 AM

My EQ6-R Pro recently developed a similar problem. It would stop tracking intermittently, then after a month it got worse and the RA axis stopped moving at all, followed by the DEC shorter after that. The controller would show 'slewing to target ...' but there would be no movement at all. Skywatcher support suggested it is a faulty control board and asked me to send the entire head back to them to be serviced. I've shipped the mount more than 10 days ago and I am yet to hear anything back. My request for ETA is still without a reply. Hopefully your issue is not as serious. 

Sorry to hear abour your problems. Hope they are resolved soon. I've yet to make another attempt at photography with the mount. (The problem was with the operator, I think ) Slewing was never a problem though.

#11 JamesTX

JamesTX

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:00 PM

I sent mine back a couple of weeks ago for a different issue. I asked what the turn around time was before i sent it in and was told 4 weeks from the time they received it. Hopefully thats accurate.

#12 JamesTX

JamesTX

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:00 PM

I sent mine back a couple of weeks ago for a different issue. I asked what the turn around time was before i sent it in and was told 4 weeks from the time they received it. Hopefully thats accurate.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics