•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter double transit + a couple of Mars images

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 TerryWood

TerryWood

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: USA

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:48 AM

I got out just after sunset and caught the Jupiter double transit. I didn't realize it was happening until a few minutes beforehand. The scope really didn't have a chance to acclimate. The seeing was pretty bad anyway for the most part. 

I took over 30,000 frames and stacked a very small portion. Thankfully those decent frames worked out somewhat okay. At least I can tell there's a transit going on and it's not just a blob, which were most of the frames.

The first Mars image was from a couple of nights ago. The second one was from tonight. In both cases the seeing also was not good. Lots of frames to chose from helped out again, at least in the first image. Although tonight's image was better than nothing at all. 

I used a QHY462 color camera and mounted the Questar OTA on a Vixen GPDX mount due to the high winds tonight. Kept it more stable.

The seeing has been bad for a couple of weeks. Hopefully things will turn around before Mars gets too small.

After my initial post I noticed my images appeared to blow up in image scale for some reason, so I slightly downsized them. Another mystery...

Edit: The scale looks wrong again after posting. It still looked too big when viewing on my laptop. However, they seem ok on the Ipad (maybe smaller than normal). I can live with it for now.

V/R

Terry

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter png.png
  • Jupiter2 png.png
  • Mars png.png
  • Mars2 png.png

Edited by TerryWood, 18 October 2020 - 01:20 AM.

• Paul Schroeder, cbwerner, emastroianni and 18 others like this

#2 TerryWood

TerryWood

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:11 AM

The dual setup from the other night using the Questar Duplex OTA for planets and Tak-60 for widefield. Nice combo!

V/R

Terry

Attached Thumbnails

• image1.JPG
  • image1.JPG

Edited by TerryWood, 18 October 2020 - 01:13 AM.

• elwaine, Erik Bakker, R Botero and 8 others like this

#3 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:10 AM

Wonderful images and nice, versatile set-up Terry. Not to mention the gorgeous view bow.gif

• TerryWood likes this

#4 edhuff

edhuff

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: PA/AZ

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:48 AM

The dual setup from the other night using the Questar Duplex OTA for planets and Tak-60 for widefield. Nice combo!

V/R

Terry

Striking images Terry. I notice what I believe is the QHY462 on the tray of your tripod but what camera is attached to the Tak-60? Also, what does a QHY run these days cost-wise? Your photos inspire me to get out there!

Edited by edhuff, 18 October 2020 - 08:30 AM.

• TerryWood likes this

#5 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:16 AM

very nice capture , thanks .

• TerryWood likes this

#6 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:02 AM

Very nice results!!!!  Glad the skies have cleared up!    Todd

• TerryWood likes this

#7 TerryWood

TerryWood

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:06 AM

Wonderful images and nice, versatile set-up Terry. Not to mention the gorgeous view bow.gif

Thanks Erik! Yes, I kind of like the dual setup. It's not too heavy and gives you the best of both worlds in small packages. The Q on it's fork mount and lightweight tripod is more convenient, but if the weather is looking clear for the entire night I like to set up the EQ mount. And, yeah, I can't complain about the view! I can see the entire ecliptic from horizon to horizon (well, an apple tree does get a little in the way toward the west, but not enough to be a big deal). I feel very fortunate!

V/R

Terry

• Erik Bakker likes this

#8 TerryWood

TerryWood

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:17 AM

Striking images Terry. I notice what I believe is the QHY462 on the tray of your tripod but what camera is attached to the Tak-60? Also, what does a QHY run these days cost-wise? Your photos inspire me to get out there!

Thanks Ed! The camera attached to the Tak-60 is a Sony Nex-5N with and Astro-Tech .8x reducer/flattener. Seems to work pretty well. I know it's off-topic, but here's just a quick example of an image from the other night with this combo if you're interested. It came out a bit darker than I intended and looks a little better when you open up the picture versus the preview image. 30 one minute captures at ISO 1600.

Also, the QHY462 you see on the tray was plugged into a 1.25x Barlow to give me a smidge more image scale if the seeing allows. If the seeing isn't so good, I don't use the Barlow. The QHY462 costs $299 and has 2.9 micron pixels, which is a good match at f/15. The camera has a very fast frame rate and is said to be more sensitive than previous planetary cams. Hope to get more chances to find out when the seeing improves. Jupiter is a tough target right now because it's so low.

V/R

Terry

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4526.PNG

• cbwerner, emastroianni, Erik Bakker and 6 others like this

#9 TerryWood

TerryWood

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:22 AM

very nice capture , thanks .

Thanks! I've found it's enjoyable when the weather cooprates. However, it can also be frustrating when it doesn't. I get a little impatient, lol! It can be a clear night and then a single cloud pops up right where I want to image...Drives me nuts.

V/R

Terry

#10 TerryWood

TerryWood

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:24 AM

Very nice results!!!!  Glad the skies have cleared up!    Todd

Thanks Todd, I appreciate it! The weather has been clear, but the seeing bad. But, if it's clear I have to give it a shot! More clouds on the way for this entire week. Hope you have a chance to get out there. Your images are always great to see!

V/R

Terry

#11 TerryWood

TerryWood

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for all of the "likes" everybody! Inspires me!

V/R

Terry

• Lonnie Utah likes this

#12 tomix

tomix

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Prague, CZ

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:52 AM

Hi Terry,

very impressive images! I was surprised what's possible with 3.5" even without Barlow.

QHY462 seems to fit really well. I'm getting to "tune up" my gear with new planetary camera and based on your images I will add QHY462 into my focus too.

The question is how it will fit with 2x Barlow and/or seeing somewhere between 2" - 3".

Tomas

• TerryWood likes this

#13 KarlL

KarlL

Apollo

• Loc: Northeastern Illinois, in the Fox Valley

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:06 PM

Terry -

Excellent Mars captures.

• TerryWood likes this

#14 RobertPettengill

RobertPettengill

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:43 PM

That is a sweet combo.
  • TerryWood likes this

#15 TerryWood

TerryWood

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:37 PM

Hi Terry,

very impressive images! I was surprised what's possible with 3.5" even without Barlow.

QHY462 seems to fit really well. I'm getting to "tune up" my gear with new planetary camera and based on your images I will add QHY462 into my focus too.

The question is how it will fit with 2x Barlow and/or seeing somewhere between 2" - 3".

Tomas

Thanks Tomas! I haven't had the camera for very long, but I'm liking it so far. Due to it's pixel size (2.9 microns) it is best suited to image anywhere from f/9 (on the very low end) up to f/20 (upper end when there is very good to excellent seeing). The formula to know the best focal length for most situations is the camera's micron size x 5, which is approximately f/15 for this camera. Using a Barlow to go beyond that focal length will provide a larger image scale, but no additional resolution. I have a Vernonscope 1.25x Magic Dakins Barlow that I use sometimes to nudge it a little past f/15 if the seeing is decent. However, the one I bought will not screw into the camera's nosepiece, so I put the Barlow lens into a different holder (seen in my previous image) then insert the camera into that. I use a Questar Slip Fit Adapter in the axial port. That allows me to plug a diagonal in there for visual or a camera when imaging. I hope this helps!

V/R

Terry

#16 TerryWood

TerryWood

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:40 PM

Terry -

Excellent Mars captures.

Thanks Karl, I appreciate it! I always love it when Mars gets close! I still find it mysterious even though we have probes all over the planet. 

V/R

Terry

#17 TerryWood

TerryWood

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:54 PM

That is a sweet combo.

Thank you Rob! They're not very heavy together either. My only concern was making sure they were definitely secure on the mounting shoe. It made me a little nervous at first, but they were definitely in there securely and didn't budge. It's nice to have the widefield imaging flexibility alongside the Q. I did try with the dedicated Questar focal reducer, but I was getting much better and quicker results with the Tak-60. That is one fun, sharp scope and I think it compliments the Questar well!

V/R

Terry

#18 tomix

tomix

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:14 PM

Thanks Tomas! I haven't had the camera for very long, but I'm liking it so far. Due to it's pixel size (2.9 microns) it is best suited to image anywhere from f/9 (on the very low end) up to f/20 (upper end when there is very good to excellent seeing). The formula to know the best focal length for most situations is the camera's micron size x 5, which is approximately f/15 for this camera. Using a Barlow to go beyond that focal length will provide a larger image scale, but no additional resolution. I have a Vernonscope 1.25x Magic Dakins Barlow that I use sometimes to nudge it a little past f/15 if the seeing is decent. However, the one I bought will not screw into the camera's nosepiece, so I put the Barlow lens into a different holder (seen in my previous image) then insert the camera into that. I use a Questar Slip Fit Adapter in the axial port. That allows me to plug a diagonal in there for visual or a camera when imaging. I hope this helps!

V/R

Terry

Hi Terry,

Thank you for your experiencd comment. It seems it's what I'm looking for. Looks flexible to be used even with other scopes from my fleet. Sensitivity is promissing too.

So 50% of issues seems to be solved. The rest of other 50% called "permanently cloudy sky" is another topic :)

Wishing you clear skies to get more stunning images, Tomas

• TerryWood likes this

#19 TerryWood

TerryWood

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:36 AM

Thank you Tomas, glad to help! Another alternative (for the same price) is the ZWO 178MC. It has 2.4 micron pixels. Oddly enough, the inexpensive NexImage 5 (2.2 micron pixels) seems to do even better on planets with the Questar than the ZWO. It's frame rate is much slower, so you need better seeing to get the most out of it. On paper it should be the worst of the three cameras due to it's supposedly lower sensitvity and higher noise. But if you look at Toddeo's images you'll see it performs very well! I'm not sure why, but the images show an improvement using the NexImage. The QHY camera (as far as I can tell so far) seems to have very good sensitivity and a really fast frame rate that helps during not so great seeing. It may allow you to capture just enough decent frames to stack. For instance, with Mars I've been able to capture upwards of 60,000 frames during very turbulent seeing, and discover a small fraction of those that I can actually stack. So in those type of situations having a lot of frames to choose from is an advantage. When the seeing is good, I slow down the frame rate drastically to around 24 fps and gather less frames. Some times I lower it further to 12 fps in excellent seeing. The lower frame rate during good seeing seems to provide a lot less noise and more detail. Plus the file size is smaller and processing is much, much faster. That's my experience anyway. You may want to speak with Toddeo and get his views on it as well. Good luck!

V/R

Terry

Edited by TerryWood, 20 October 2020 - 09:57 AM.

#20 tomix

tomix

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 October 2020 - 04:16 PM

Thank you Tomas, glad to help! Another alternative (for the same price) is the ZWO 178MC. It has 2.4 micron pixels. Oddly enough, the inexpensive NexImage 5 (2.2 micron pixels) seems to do even better on planets with the Questar than the ZWO. It's frame rate is much slower, so you need better seeing to get the most out of it. On paper it should be the worst of the three cameras due to it's supposedly lower sensitvity and higher noise. But if you look at Toddeo's images you'll see it performs very well! I'm not sure why, but the images show an improvement using the NexImage. The QHY camera (as far as I can tell so far) seems to have very good sensitivity and a really fast frame rate that helps during not so great seeing. It may allow you to capture just enough decent frames to stack. For instance, with Mars I've been able to capture upwards of 60,000 frames during very turbulent seeing, and discover a small fraction of those that I can actually stack. So in those type of situations having a lot of frames to choose from is an advantage. When the seeing is good, I slow down the frame rate drastically to around 24 fps and gather less frames. Some times I lower it further to 12 fps in excellent seeing. The lower frame rate during good seeing seems to provide a lot less noise and more detail. Plus the file size is smaller and processing is much, much faster. That's my experience anyway. You may want to speak with Toddeo and get his views on it as well. Good luck!

V/R

Terry

Thank you Terry. It seems I have to take into consideration more factors including average local seeing conditions (or to accept that to successfully use a particular camera means to reduce number of siutable nights). Anyway, your comments plus results provided me a direction.

Bright skies!

Tomas

#21 TerryWood

TerryWood

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:34 PM

I think you'll be happy with the QHY462. It's a really nice camera. The ZWO will give you a slightly larger image scale due to it's smaller pixels, but both do well at f/15. You can always increase the final image size a little bit in Registax. Sometimes I do that to make it easier to see. Good luck! V/R Terry

#22 emastroianni

emastroianni

Lift Off

• Loc: Milwaukee

Posted Yesterday, 11:25 AM

Beautiful planet images, and great processing as well. 

Ernie

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics