•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Totally new member in need of help Nexstar 8se

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SouthCarolina

SouthCarolina

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:01 AM

I am NEW and just got the Nexstar 8se.

I do have astigmatism plus retinitis pigmentosa which includes night blindness and a loss of peripheral vision.

Did I make a major costly mistake?

I had cataract surgery on both eyes. My glasses are separated into distance, computer and reading.

I have no problem using binoculars when the right lens is adjustable without using glasses.

I tried using the included finder scope, however, it depends on how you look through it. Nothing is stated about how you actually look through it to get the star centered. You can look through it one way and get it centered and just move a slight distance in any direction up or down left or right and the center has been changed.

I decided to take the easier way out and get StarSense and the wi-fi adapter and the android app. I spent 2 hours trying to do the alignment and after the scope found 3 stars and the next step was for me to center the brightest star in my eye piece (32mm), I could not find it. At the time it seemed that Mars was the brightest. I used the app and searched in every direction to get it in the eyepiece and calibrated and failed.

I NEED HELP!

Edited by SouthCarolina, 18 October 2020 - 10:55 AM.

#2 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:07 AM

Astigmatism can be dealt with using long eye relief eyepieces to accommodate glasses. Loss of peripheral vision isn’t a deal breaker, just maybe don’t pay extra for eyepieces with 80-110 degrees AFOV if you don’t have the peripheral vision to take advantage of it. I have no idea what night blindness is.

I have a Mak that is the kids scope, and it has a Rigel (battery powered finderscope). Which means the battery is always dead because the kids always mess with it and forget to turn it off. So last time out, to find a bright target, I removed the eyepiece, found a bright spot of light in the diagonal mirror, centered it, and put the eyepiece back in. Another approach is to massively unfocus the scope so a bright star becomes a huge circle of light. Basically big things are easier to find. Once you find the huge circle of light, start shrinking it down by focusing the scope until it becomes a star or planet. Obviously these approaches only work for bright stars or planets, not dim galaxies, but should work for a GoTo alignment.

You might consider a Rigel Quikfindet to compliment the Starsense if it doesn’t seem like the Starsense is getting things precisely aligned.

Scott
  • SouthCarolina likes this

#3 SouthCarolina

SouthCarolina

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:53 AM

Astigmatism can be dealt with using long eye relief eyepieces to accommodate glasses. Loss of peripheral vision isn’t a deal breaker, just maybe don’t pay extra for eyepieces with 80-110 degrees AFOV if you don’t have the peripheral vision to take advantage of it. I have no idea what night blindness is.

I have a Mak that is the kids scope, and it has a Rigel (battery powered finderscope). Which means the battery is always dead because the kids always mess with it and forget to turn it off. So last time out, to find a bright target, I removed the eyepiece, found a bright spot of light in the diagonal mirror, centered it, and put the eyepiece back in. Another approach is to massively unfocus the scope so a bright star becomes a huge circle of light. Basically big things are easier to find. Once you find the huge circle of light, start shrinking it down by focusing the scope until it becomes a star or planet. Obviously these approaches only work for bright stars or planets, not dim galaxies, but should work for a GoTo alignment.

You might consider a Rigel Quikfindet to compliment the Starsense if it doesn’t seem like the Starsense is getting things precisely aligned.

Scott

Thank you for your reply! I will try your suggestions.

I did try using the focus knob and now it's probably wildly out of focus. During the day, what is the closest distance that can be used to focus on?

Night blindness means that I don't see as well as I used to in the dark. I was able to see a few very bright stars including Mars last night. Just could not get them centered in the eyepiece.

I was using SkyPortal with StarSense. I did notice that SkyPortal did say that it had a problem finding my gps, but it did show my coordinates. Maybe that was part of my problem.

Later on I tried SkyPortal again and the error did not happen, but I was tired and done for the night.

Thanks again!

#4 wmgeorge

wmgeorge

Explorer 1

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:11 PM

I had an 8se for a short time.  Should be able to focus in the daytime when its much easier down to 100-200 ft or so with the 25 mm EP.   You do need to align the finder red dot scope with what the scope has centered and it should hold.  I ended up sending mine back, between my trees and neighbors with lights on, and extremely finicky focus I decided to call it quits. 

Ended up with a non-computer Celestron Omni XLT 150 scope on a heavy tripod and mount.

#5 Ulmer Spatz

Ulmer Spatz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Croaker, Virginia

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:02 PM

I tried using the included finder scope, however, it depends on how you look through it.

I'm guessing you're talking about objects in the finder moving all over the place when you move your head. With some finders, it doesn't matter. If the red dot  and your target stay together when you move your eye around, your scope is pointing at your target. In other words, there's no need to center the red dot and the object behind it within the finder's circle.But as said, that's not true of all red dot finders. I think it's worth checking if your finder is one of those where centering is not needed. 

finder.jpg

...the next step was for me to center the brightest star in my eye piece (32mm), I could not find it. At the time it seemed that Mars was the brightest.

I have to take a wild guess on this one: It's possible that "bright star" in your manual excludes planets. If so, using the planet Mars as a "bright star" might have given your scope's computer a task it can't perform.

#6 wmgeorge

wmgeorge

Explorer 1

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:03 PM

Since you want to use in the daytime and I understand you removed the laser dot finder when Installing the Starsense.  You can reinstall anywhere on the tube using double faced TRIM tape, much stronger than just carpet tape!  Any good auto parts store will have in stock. In fact I use on my Laser projects when I want stuff to stick almost forever. Amazon sells in rolls and I think 3M makes it. 

Edited by wmgeorge, 18 October 2020 - 08:04 PM.

#7 SouthCarolina

SouthCarolina

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:54 PM

I'm guessing you're talking about objects in the finder moving all over the place when you move your head. With some finders, it doesn't matter. If the red dot  and your target stay together when you move your eye around, your scope is pointing at your target. In other words, there's no need to center the red dot and the object behind it within the finder's circle.But as said, that's not true of all red dot finders. I think it's worth checking if your finder is one of those where centering is not needed. 

attachicon.giffinder.jpg

I have to take a wild guess on this one: It's possible that "bright star" in your manual excludes planets. If so, using the planet Mars as a "bright star" might have given your scope's computer a task it can't perform.

That's exactly what I am talking about concerning the finder. It's the finder that came with the 8se.

You're probably right about Mars. The rest of the sky went blank and Mars was the only thing left. Major bummer. Not long after that Mars disappeared too.

#8 wolf454

wolf454

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southeastern United States

Posted 22 October 2020 - 10:21 AM

I have the 8se as well. The finder scope has been called insufficient or junk on this forum. Many recommend upgrading to a better one. I believe you would need to modify the mount holes or use double sided tape to replace it with a non own unit.

I am still using the oem finder, it seems to work-ok. My biggest complaint would be the alignment knobs. They seem to either be too tight or loose to set it and forget it. As long as the red dot is somewhat centered in the view, and your object is centered in the scopes eyepiece you should be good. I'd recommend using polaris to align finder scope if possible since it's fairly stationary.

As long as you look through the finder at approximately the same distance and angle each time you should be ok.

Patience is something we all learn the more we stargaze. Good luck.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics