•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SHO and reflection nebula

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:35 AM

I know this is kind of a basic question, but what consideration is there when imaging reflection nebula, like ngc 1333 and wanting to add some SHO data to LRGB?

I was under the impression and maybe I'm wrong that there less sho in reflection nebula. For example when I used my osc and a triband I steered clear of reflection data. 

Thanks 

#2 imtl

imtl

Apollo

• Moderators

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:08 AM

Reflection nebulae are broadband. A lot of them come with an emission nebula part as well so SHO will give better contrast and details on that part. But the reflection part is broadband.

• drd715, Peregrinatum and Kevin Thurman like this

#3 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:13 AM

S, H, and O are emission lines. Reflection nebula may have some small amount of light in those emission lines just because they are broadband, but the filters will do nothing to help bring out structure.

Now if there happens to be an emission component to the nebula, you can bring that out at the expense of the reflection part of the nebula.

#4 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:48 PM

Reflection nebula may have some small amount of light in those emission lines just because they are broadband, but the filters will do nothing to help bring out structure.

Now if there happens to be an emission component to the nebula, you can bring that out at the expense of the reflection part of the nebula.

Sort of like, a broken clock is correct twice per day?

#5 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:27 PM

Pretty much.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics