•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AVX and NextStar+ | Error 16 and 17 - cost to repair?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jordan-Wade

Jordan-Wade

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:10 AM

Just my luck, that after 7 yrs of happy ownership and a clear moonless night, my hand controller can't communicate with my AVX. I searched and saw that several people have had this issue. Can y'all please share the total repair cost that Celestron charged to fix this?

So far I have power cycled as the NexStar+ suggested, factory reset the controller, switched power supplies from the Starizona Li-Ion battery (which I have always use) to my car directly through 12v socket to Celestron PowerTank, etc.

I bought this for $800 in 2013 from Land, Sea, and Sky in Houston, Texas. I am willing to buy a new GoTo GEM if necessary.

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:12 PM

The answer will entirely be dependant on what's wrong. 

corrupted firmware (unlikely) - free if you have the hand controller USB cable

bad connector - few dollars (maybe 20+ if you want to crimp on your own and need to buy the tool)

bad hand controller - under $100

bad connectivity board - less than $100

bad motor controller board - lot more than $100 

a) follow the troubleshooting guidelines on www.nexstarsite.com ... and remember that your AVX uses the same internal architecture as other Celestron goto scopes (alt az or gem) so most of the troubleshooting ideas are common.

b) when does it throw up the errors? On power up, when you slew to an alignment star, randomly? Is it always both 16 and 17? Can you ever clear the errors and continue or is it solid?

c) With your switching power sources are you using one 12v cable between them?

d) have you tried the hand controller plugged into the AUX port? The HC and AUX ports are wired in parallel so any devices can be swapped ... but be careful it's only the AUX port, don't use the AutoGuide port.

Edited by mclewis1, 18 October 2020 - 12:13 PM.

• Jordan-Wade likes this

#3 JGlover

JGlover

Messenger

• Loc: Naperville, IL

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:06 PM

Hopefully it’s just the controller. I had a motor control board die on my old ASGT and could not find a replacement board anywhere I looked. I ended up ordering a new AVX and immediately on set up got the Error 16/17 messages. I swapped out the controller with my old ASGT and it worked just fine. Celestron quickly replaced the controller under warranty since it was a new mount. So first thing, like suggested on the previous, check the controller if you can. That’s a simple and easy fix.

Edit: Careful using your phone to quickly reply as autocorrect thinks Celestron is Celeste on...🙄

Edited by JGlover, 18 October 2020 - 03:21 PM.

• Jordan-Wade likes this

#4 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:37 PM

The first thing to so is check the power cable and power source (always). Next, the HC cable and connector. Clean the connections with a good agent like Deoxit.

Bad HC? Certainly an easy thing to do is reset the NexStar hand control.  No joy? Next step would be a firmware reload. One way you can determine the status of the HC is with NexRemote or CPWI. If you can operate the mount without a problem using one of the programs, your hand control is probably bad. 

Edited by rmollise, 18 October 2020 - 02:39 PM.

• Stelios likes this

#5 JGlover

JGlover

Messenger

• Loc: Naperville, IL

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:23 PM

That’s an excellent point by Rod, the AVX is very sensitive (at least mine is) to having a good, solid power connection and a stable power supply.

#6 Jordan-Wade

Jordan-Wade

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:09 PM

@McLewis1

A) Thank you. Yes I followed their troubleshooting steps, as well as the common ones I found online for people who posted about this issue.

B) It throws the error up on power on. I switch the mount power to on, the LED turns red, and the NextStar+ hand controller shows 'verifying database's or something similar, and then it lights up. Shows Error 17 which I try to clear by going BACK, then Error 16 (BACK again), and then it goes to 2-star align.

No matter what I enter for date and time and location, I cannot get the mount to move using the HC despite clearing the errors, since they return eventually.

C) I used the Starizona Li-Ion battery cable which plugs in directly to the AVX power outlet. Then I used the long extension cable which came with the mount to connect to the car outlet. No luck with either cable.

D) I plugged the HC into all the ports except Auto Guide. No response from them either except the font on the HC changed.

Edited by Jordan-Wade, 18 October 2020 - 05:10 PM.

#7 Jordan-Wade

Jordan-Wade

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:11 PM

@JGlover

Okay, I'll definitely try the replacement hand controller route since that shouldn't cost too much. I can always re-sell it in case my AVX is toast.

#8 Jordan-Wade

Jordan-Wade

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:14 PM

@rmollise

I appreciate the insight, and I just cleaned everything with isopropyl alcohol. I will order a new power source and new power cable to eliminate those variables. I really hope the AVX power port is not the issue because I don't have any experience with soldering and related skills.

#9 dfisherows

dfisherows

Ranger 4

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:30 PM

Buy a new HC

#10 SonnyE

SonnyE

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:11 AM

7 years was a good run.

My AVX lasted 4, and twice had to be repaired under warranty.

I cut my losses and got a GM811GHD Losmandy. Love It!

I consider my AVX a good learning curve.

One of the most important things I learned was to stay away from Asian equipment.

BeatingADeadHorse.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics