•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI1600MM - Banding on Narrowband Filters Only?

astrophotography CMOS filters
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OtisJackson

OtisJackson

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:43 AM

I am getting very bad regular banding on my new ASI1600MM -- but only when using narrowband filters. (I am using Chroma 3nm filters in Ha, Oiii and Sii). LRGB filters show no similar banding. (See attached single frame stretched examples from back to back Ha and Blue filters).

Anyone familiar with this problem? Suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 9.33.39 AM.jpg
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 9.33.53 AM.jpg

#2 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:15 AM

Not sure really, sounds either the cooling problem or the exposure settings, i can't mention another issues, because this kind of banding i got it exactly the same with flat frames only for LRGB as i was using very fast exposures, but i assume those aren't calibrated by any means?

• OtisJackson likes this

#3 OtisJackson

OtisJackson

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:23 AM

Thanks, yes that’s correct these are uncalibrated single exposures. I dithered, stacked, and calibrated with darks, flats and dark flats but still wasn’t able to remove the banding.

#4 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:34 AM

Well, there is no solution i can think about rather than trying again and again, and try without cooling, change settings of gain and offset, if you get that banding just shut down the camera and turn on again and try again, i keep having issues with my QHY163M, sometimes banding, sometimes half frame is gone, sometimes no frame at all, but always i fix it by turning it off and on again.

• OtisJackson likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, CMOS, filters

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics