•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NEQ5 gone mad

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Miquelet24

Miquelet24

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:11 PM

I have a Skywatcher NEQ5 motorized mount. It has been working quite good for the past year, but last night it started going mad. I aligned it but by error I clicked to finish the alignment and had to repeat it. I sent the telescope to Vega and it definetley didn't go to Vega and nowhere near. The RA looked good but the Declination hadn't moved and it was pointing to the ground. I thought that some bearing had gone loose and that the Dec motor wasn't working, but the motor was working and I could move it with the hand control. I reiniciated the telescope and the same. I left it for a bit and reinitiated another time, the same.

I think it might be something about the software or about some option accidentaly I have triggered, but I don't know.

Has any of you experienced the same?

Miquel

#2 jdupton

jdupton

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:35 PM

Miquel,

It is possible that something about the sequence you used scrambled the CE/NPE stored parameters. I have had that happen and saw similar behavior until I figured it out. Next time out, try going into the menus and either clearing the CE/NPE (Setup | Alignment | Cone Error = 0 and then Setup | Alignment | NP Error = 0 ) values or else just do a factory reset of the Hand Control (Setup | Factory Setting). Sometimes, you can do a careful complete three star alignment and it will store new CE/NPE values and that should also fix the issue (assuming that is what happened). One Star and Two Star alignments use the existing stored values for CE/NPE (which can be wrong / corrupted) while a Three Star alignment sets accurate newly calculated values.

John

Edited by jdupton, 18 October 2020 - 02:29 PM.

#3 DRK73

DRK73

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, United States

Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:43 PM

Similar thing happened with me and my mount - check your time zone setting in your hand controller. When setting up I'd thoughtlessly selected "universal time" but what I should've selected was -5 hours, so the mount was pointing to where the star would be - in five hours. 

#4 jdupton

jdupton

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:41 PM

Dan,

Incorrect data entry is often the cause of a bad first star slew but in this case, I think it may be something else.

Miquel said he made an error in the first alignment and then redid the alignment. I took that to mean that the first stars of that initial alignment were within tolerance as normal and that he did not power down but just back out of the menus and then go back into the alignment routine to redo it. That was the main clue that I used to suggest the corrupted CE/NPE values.

I encountered exactly that scenario when I had a similar problem years ago. I was doing a three star alignment on a partly cloudy night and just as I finished the third star, I realized I had centered the wrong star. (The correct one peaked out from behind a cloud as I finished.) So, I simply went back to the Star Alignment menu and began a new alignment. I did not power down between alignment attempts. The first slew for the realignment ended up pointing at the ground. I powered down and reset the mount to the Home Position. After entering all the initialization data again, the first slew went crazy once again. I tried a few more times of powering down and starting over with similar results. Finally, in frustration, I did a Factory Reset and everything was back to normal. Only later did I figure out that the bad three-star alignment had corrupted the CE/NPE calculations and stored some silly values. The same thing happened about six moths later under similar conditions. That time, I used the menus to manually reset just the CE and NPE stored values and all was well once again.

Miquel,

If you powered down between your alignment attempts, then what Dan suggested could have been the cause. But if you can no longer use any first star and get close during alignment after rechecking data entry, then try resetting the Hand Control or zeroing out any values in the CE and NPE stored in the HC.

John

#5 PKDfan

PKDfan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:33 PM

Hi all! I think it bears repeating as I don't think alot of people are aware that a THREE star alignment is best as it takes any unorthagonality out of the alignment:-there is also a -PAE -pointing accuracy enhancement-mode for more accurate gotos for that unique area its already pointing at. There are 88unique areas-not sure if this is both hemispheres or not.

CS & GS

Edited by PKDfan, 18 October 2020 - 10:34 PM.

#6 Miquelet24

Miquelet24

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for all the responses, I restored the CE/NPE parameters and it has been working perfectly.

• jdupton and bignerdguy like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics