Sorry for the long delay in getting back to you. Thank you for your reply. Could you please explain a bit more on how I can adjust the RA Locking Lever? When it is locked should I be able to rotate the Mount by turning the RA control knob? Thanks again. I look forward to your answer. Dave
Do not use the RA knob to try and force the mount to rotate in RA, you can strip the teeth on the gear.
When you are tracking the lever should be turned to the left (locked). To turn to a different celestial object first release the lock, then rotate to the object and lock it again.
When the RA is locked: if you can put moderate pressure (not excessive, you're not trying to break it!) on the OTA and turn it either the RA lever is not locked or the lever needs to be adjusted. If the lever needs adjusting:
- unlock the RA lock, loosen the Allen set screw that is normally hidden (don't take the set screws out, just 1 or 2 turns)
- turn the lever to lock it
- loosen the second set screw (the one you can get to when it is locked) so the lever is free
- rotate the lever slightly to the unlocked position
- tighten the set screw
- test it again and repeat as necessary
- tighten the other set screw
When you hang cameras and 2" accessories on the back of the C8 the balance can be thrown off making the RA lock less effective, it will also make it more difficult slewing to an object. If it's out of balance, you may need balance weights, either Celestron's (sometimes available in the classifieds on CN), or some third party system.
Edited by ANM, 26 October 2020 - 09:01 AM.