•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

programing the audiostar

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johnt9432

johnt9432

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tulsa area

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:26 PM

I am trying to update my audiostar. I have all the cables for it but its not connecting to my PC. So anyone out there who can walk me through this? I think drivers are properly installed but not completely sure about that. Do I have to have it hooked up to the telescope and powered on? Not finding any info in the instruction manual about this.  Any help is appreciated.

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:34 PM

I just tried that on Friday, helping a friend. I couldn't get the USB to serial cable he bought from Meade to work, so I used my own, which did. Autostar updater didn't have a firmware update for the Audiostar and would fail when I tried to update.

Finally used the Starpatch updater and roms: https://www.stargps.ca/downloads.htm

That worked (with my USB to serial cable), so it fixed the GPS bug he has been dealing with since Apr 2019. He's going to let me know if he runs into issues.

#3 michael8554

michael8554

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:30 PM

I have only used the Meade ASU updater once, it terrified me how easy it is to get wrong.

Went to the StarPatch updater, no problems at all.

#4 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:34 PM

The Autostar Updater is only handy to check if your USB to serial to #505 is working and connecting to the Auto/Audiostar. The USB to serial converters have problems with Windows drivers, I have one I got from Amazon that goes strait from USB to #505, it works on windows 7 but I don't have drivers for Windows 10. 

#5 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:01 AM

PS If you want to update user data like satellites, comets and asteroids on your Audiostar you will need Andrew Johansen's MyScope software, it is the only way to do it. Never attempt to load this data to a Audiostar with the Autostar Updater software!

http://members.optus...MyScope4960.zip

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics