•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

1st post 1st bino purchase

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Autodex

Autodex

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:28 PM

Hello All,

i took the plunge and decided to go with a lower end “Alpha.”...a Swarovski SLC 10x42.  I  new to using bins for the great outdoors mainly birding or general wildlife viewing. I was wondering if anyone could give some insight into how much “snake oil” nonsense is built into the marketing of binoculars in general?

I am an experienced  audiophile and when it comes to critical listening I personally know even slight changes in listening position when comparing equipment , my mood on a given day, how much I paid for the item, or bias can influence our opinions.

I even A B the same  SLC model  and I could swear one was sharper then the other but then again perhaps it was just a slight adjustment in the way the bins were configured.

Best,

Steven

Edited by Autodex, 18 October 2020 - 08:33 PM.

• Albie likes this

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:37 PM

congratulations, and welcome to CN.

#3 Autodex

Autodex

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:44 PM

Thanks Sunny day

Edited by Autodex, 18 October 2020 - 08:44 PM.

#4 Kistrel

Kistrel

Lift Off

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:51 PM

"Sunny day" if you are into solar, better, clear & dark skies

#5 ihf

ihf

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:51 PM

I think here you will find peoples attention captivated by

1) how wide the (apparent) field of view is

2) how generous eye relief is

3) how sharp the image is on the border of the view (flatness)

4) artifacts (ED glass, prism kind/size)

5) how big the aperture is (bigger is better)

6) how heavy a bino is

7) if there is electronics stabilizing the view

8) mounts if not handheld

The eyepiece forum might be the right place for an audiophile? They care about some subtle effects there.

#6 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:40 PM

"Sunny day" if you are into solar, better, clear & dark skies

not sure to understand .

#7 DeanD

DeanD

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:51 PM

Hi Steven, and welcome. I am sure you will love your new Swaro's, and make sure you put up a report on your viewing experience with them!

As for "snake oil": I guess that depends on the price. There are some pretty outrageous claims out there, but mainly for cheaper/no-name binos, but I think generally the name brands, and particularly the "alphas" have build a reputation based on people's experience with them over the years. You basically get what you pay for (as with audio!), and with the "alphas" you get consistency, good optics and good build. 

Enjoy!

- Dean

#8 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 19 October 2020 - 04:21 AM

Steven,

Welcome to CNs and Congratulations on getting a very good pair of binoculars.

Please keep us informed on your binocular paths.

edj

#9 Albie

Albie

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Alberta,Canada

Posted 19 October 2020 - 05:56 AM

Hello All,

i took the plunge and decided to go with a lower end “Alpha.”...a Swarovski SLC 10x42.  I  new to using bins for the great outdoors mainly birding or general wildlife viewing. I was wondering if anyone could give some insight into how much “snake oil” nonsense is built into the marketing of binoculars in general?

I am an experienced  audiophile and when it comes to critical listening I personally know even slight changes in listening position when comparing equipment , my mood on a given day, how much I paid for the item, or bias can influence our opinions.

I even A B the same  SLC model  and I could swear one was sharper then the other but then again perhaps it was just a slight adjustment in the way the bins were configured.

Best,

Steven

I consider myself to be a bit of an audiophile as well . I found air pressure could effect my listening sessions although doubtful it can effect viewing as well . I find, like most things , stereos, binoculars ,eyepieces , cars,etc., there is a point of diminishing returns .  "Snake Oil" can be found anywhere easily if you look for it , the trick is not to buy it .

#10 Albie

Albie

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 October 2020 - 05:58 AM

Oh I forgot. Welcome to CN and enjoy your Swarovski binocular , you started with a better binocular than most of us can afford , congrats .

#11 Albie

Albie

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:02 AM

The eyepiece forum might be the right place for an audiophile? They care about some subtle effects there.

A lot of us binocular enthusiasts care about subtle effects too although they can get pretty nitpicky over in the ep forum .

#12 Autodex

Autodex

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:35 AM

Thank you all

#13 MrZoomZoom2017

MrZoomZoom2017

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Cerritos, CA

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:43 PM

Well - I will jump in as well on the audiophile bandwagon!  Add that to my collections of binoculars, books, pens and mechanical pencils, flashlights, pocket knives, hand tools, oh darn - I am starting to sense a theme here...  Guess I should not say anything to my wife about purses, shoes, sewing machines, seasonal decorations, eyeglasses, etc.

Anyways, if you want to learn a bit more about binocular marketing - pick up Mr. Cook's book that covers that subject and much more:  https://www.amazon.c...s=books&sr=1-19

I finished reading it a few weeks back and have to say I enjoyed and learned in the process.

Cheers,

Tim

• Albie likes this

#14 Autodex

Autodex

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2020 - 07:36 PM

Thank Tim will check it out

Edited by Autodex, 19 October 2020 - 07:36 PM.

#15 Knucklehead

Knucklehead

Explorer 1

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:13 AM

Welcome to CN, Steven. I'm somewhat of an audiophile too. Can't wait for the cold winter nights when I can turn on my space-heater/tube integrated amp. I love dual purpose stuff and what's better than warmth and sound together? I play it 2-3 evenings per week for a couple of hours. HT is nice (separate 5.2) but there is something about a tube amp... Anyway, it keeps the living room warm while I'm out taking a peek at the evening sky.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics