•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

need advice on buying an 80mm APO for AP

astrophotography dso refractor
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BABOafrica

BABOafrica

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Nairobi (Kenya)

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:31 PM

BACKGROUND

I currently own two APO doublets: Williams Optics 66mm & Meade f/9 102mm.

I have used them strictly for DSO astrophotography and have little interest in anything else at this point. I have a C8 SCT that I use for visual and also some AP -- but truth be told, I do very little visual at this point in my life.

For AP, I currently use a DSLR and will probably be using a DSLR for several years to come -- mostly because of time constraints and budget constraints. I have two DSLRs for AP: one modded and the other not modded.

I have two mounts: one at home and one at my dark site (very far from home). When traveling to my dark site (usually by train), I just take my scope and camera gear.

PLAN

I would like to reduce these two APOs to one APO, because I now have much less space to keep my telescope gear.

So my thinking is that I will sell both of the APO refractors, keep the C8 SCT and get an 80mm APO.

(I have a focal reducer for the C8 SCT.)

I'm hoping to sell the two APOs for a total of about $600-700. So, by definition, that's my budget for buying an 80mm APO.

I will probably buy used when a good deal comes along. I'm not in a hurry.

As far as I can tell, the main choices for an 80mm APO are the following ten scopes.

Group One (probably within my budget if I buy used):

Orion 80mm ED f/7.5  

Explore Scientific ED80mm

EvoStar 80mm ED f/7.5

EvoView 80mm ED f/7.5

TS Optics 80mm ED f/7.0

Group TWO (probably beyond my budget):

Vixen ED80SF f/7.5

Celestron C80ED

Meade Series 6000 f/6 80mm APO

SW Esprit 80mm

iOptron 80mm ED f/6.0

Any advice would be helpful -- especially if there's some option out there that I'm missing in the above list.

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by BABOafrica, 19 October 2020 - 01:34 PM.

#2 rkinnett

rkinnett

Viking 1

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:18 PM

You should be able to find a C80ED for $300 or so, with patience.  They pop up every few months or so.  I picked one up in the CN classifieds for $225 a few months ago.  That's not representative of typical price though.. this one had pristine optics (love that FPL-53!) but the paint had been removed and the tube was buffed and shined.  It looks much better this way in my opinion but that rework seemed to have dissuaded other prospective bidders, so I got really lucky.  I have only imaged the moon and Andromeda with it so far but I can say the view through it is much cleaner and higher contrast than with my Orion 110ED with lower quality glass.

• BABOafrica likes this

#3 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:15 AM

I'm hoping to sell the two APOs for a total of about $600-700. So, by definition, that's my budget for buying an 80mm APO.

As far as I can tell, the main choices for an 80mm APO are the following ten scopes.

Joe

I think the best brands on your list are vixen, skywatcher, and TS in that order.

Occasionally life maneuvers us into a situation where we need to spend more money than we want to at a fancy restaurant. It hurts when the bill comes in but somehow we get over it. And no one to my knowledge ever regretted a great meal.

I have a credit card bill coming for an expensive meal rather than wait the event with dread I send one third or one half right away so that some of the sting is out of the final result.

So you might consider a CFF 80 mm. It's way beyond the price tier you're talking about But once it's done you'll have this beautiful scope forever.

Greg N
  • BABOafrica likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, dso, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics