•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Leopold Yosemite Porros 8x30mm

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Bill david

Bill david

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:53 PM

Had them about a week now, tested them constantly and am impressed, day and night!

Unable to believe this quality of optics at this price point, recommended without reservations!

Have a lot of woods here that you need a low power quality, small binoculars as the woods are very thick. Have seen so much, but must be low noise and patience!

But still take them out to check the transparent of the sky before bringing out the bigger stuff.

So Impressed, looking for a new pair of the same, but 6x30,s.

Found two sources and will likely purchase a pair shortly.

The eye relief on the 8x30's are good, but the rated eye relief of the 6x30's are better.

Since I have to wear eyeglasses, eye relief is important!

Thank all members for tolerating me.

BillDavid

• Jon Isaacs and Swedpat like this

#2 dusty99

dusty99

Viking 1

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:06 PM

The little porros are nice, aren't they?  The Kowa versions seem a bit sharper to me that the Leupolds, but not much, and I've bought both as gifts in addition to owning them myself.  One real difference is that, with the 6x30s at least, the diopter adjustment is a little greater with the Kowas (don't recall with the 8x30s).  With my glasses prescription (around -5.5) I can use the Kowas with or without glasses, but have to keep my glasses on for the Yosemites to reach distant focus.  Both are great for low-power stargazing and bird/animal viewing close in.

#3 Bill david

Bill david

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:52 PM

This why I appreciate this site.

Think I will look at the Kowa's more closely before making my next purchase.

Just not seen a review on these at this site.

Viking 1, appreciate you.

Know this is a site for Astros, but also think it's a site for two eyes people.

BillDavid

#4 Bill david

Bill david

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:49 PM

Viking 1:

You just cost me another $115 as I just ordered a pair of Kowa 6x30mm Binoculars based on your comments, instead of the 

Leopold's. 

They will be here shortly.

Sorry am old and ill, but still want to enjoy my time left to me!

Thank you friend!

BillDavid

• dusty99 likes this

#5 NDfarmer

NDfarmer

Messenger

• -----

Posted 19 October 2020 - 05:57 PM

I have had the 8x30 Yosemite but the 6x30 version is a better binocular.  I have reserved several for my grandkids.

And I will mention, they get a new binocular when they reach age 5.....

Edited by NDfarmer, 19 October 2020 - 06:06 PM.

• Jon Isaacs and SteveV like this

#6 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:16 PM

I gather that the original designer left Leupold and went to work for Kowa, Leupold then brought a slightly different version out as not to infringe on the designers patent, several companies sell this small binocular so I would think these various versions are coming out of the same China factory ?, Dave

• Jon Isaacs and SteveV like this

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:24 PM

I gather that the original designer left Leupold and went to work for Kowa, Leupold then brought a slightly different version out as not to infringe on the designers patent, several companies sell this small binocular so I would think these various versions are coming out of the same China factory ?, Dave

I think Foss might know something about this.

I bought a pair of 8x30 Yosemites and a par of 6x30 Yosemites from him. Both new.  The 8x30s went to a binoless friend. She loves them. I have the 6x30s.. I like them. 

But Foss told me a couple times the 8x30s were the older and better model.

Jon

#8 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:30 PM

I think Foss might know something about this.

I bought a pair of 8x30 Yosemites and a par of 6x30 Yosemites from him. Both new.  The 8x30s went to a binoless friend. She loves them. I have the 6x30s.. I like them. 

But Foss told me a couple times the 8x30s were the older and better model.

Jon

The newer version of the Yosemite has a rubber covering that looks like a Klingon,s fore head and attached objective covers, the older ones had push on covers and smooth rubber, Eagle Optics sold a version also called the Kingbird  6.5x32 if I remember correctly, Bushnell sell their own version  as well, Dave.

#9 NDfarmer

NDfarmer

Messenger

• -----

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:07 PM

The newer version of the Yosemite has a rubber covering that looks like a Klingon,s fore head and attached objective covers, the older ones had push on covers and smooth rubber, Eagle Optics sold a version also called the Kingbird  6.5x32 if I remember correctly, Bushnell sell their own version  as well, Dave.

I have examples of both the old and new Yosemites, I find the optics to be identical in both, just an armor change.

The EO Kingbird is not the same, I bought a couple on their closeout.  Not as good, it seems a cheap copy, and not even

close.

I also had a Kowa version, very similar to the Yosemite, I sold that one to my neighbor.

#10 SteveV

SteveV

Mariner 2

• Loc: Ore.

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:56 AM

Anyone try these from Oberwerk?  They look like the discontinued Vortex Raptor's in 6.5x32 with a different cover.

#11 Cestus

Cestus

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:33 AM

Anyone try these from Oberwerk?  They look like the discontinued Vortex Raptor's in 6.5x32 with a different cover.

Yes, I had one and gave it to the kids. It was a very nice binocular. Solid with an 8 degree fov.

• SteveV likes this

#12 SteveV

SteveV

Mariner 2

• Loc: Ore.

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:38 AM

Yes, I had one and gave it to the kids. It was a very nice binocular. Solid with an 8 degree fov.

Thanks, we have the Vortex model.  Thinking of the Oberwerks for Christmas gifts, can't beat the price.

Edited by SteveV, 23 October 2020 - 10:39 AM.

#13 Bill david

Bill david

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:38 PM

Got my Kowa 6x30's and only used them shortly and compared them to the Leopold 8x30's recently purchased.

Initial impressions: The Leopold were stiff, took some effort to get them untight, but the optics, color correction, comfort, were outstanding at this price.

The Kowa 6x30 had a better build quality (similar Optics), but thought the Leopold's were slightly easier to get the perfect focus point and the sharper view.

Have used the Leopold's at night and am impressed. Not had a chance with the Kowa's yet (clouds).

Someone commented, a small light weight Binocular is better than the big one you left at home.

I bought these to keep in my truck when traveling.  For that task both are perfect for the price.

Think both are a great value for the price, if you do not expect them to perform like bigger ones.

Size and price, portability - Great.

BillDavid

#14 Bill david

Bill david

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2020 - 01:38 PM

Would like to correct my earlier post.

Now have had time to use both the Kowa 6x30"s and the Leopold 8x30's.

Do not worry about the difference between 8 power and 6 when you are looking at vast distance object. 

It's the quality, not power!!

Earlier some post said the Kowa's were better, but I said thought the Leopold's were my choice.

Wish to correct that, Like them both, but if only one choice its Kowa!

I will keep them both for awhile, but think I may donate the Leopold's  to a young child organazation.

Also, used these small Kowa's at night in the fall sky here and was able to get the point of sharpness easier.

As everyone's eyes are different, this one works for me.

May start looking more closely at Kowa products as looking for a small spotting scope.

BillDavid

• Mark9473 likes this

#15 Knucklehead

Knucklehead

Explorer 1

Posted 26 October 2020 - 11:52 PM

Eagle Optics sold a version also called the Kingbird  6.5x32 if I remember correctly, Bushnell sell their own version  as well, Dave.

I bought a pair of the Kingbird bins when Eagle Optics was going out of business 2-3 years ago. I gave them to my younger sister a week or so ago. The Kingbird was nice for the price ($54 shipped), solid build, and the optics were quite good as long as you don't expect sharpness right up to the edges. I found them to be surprisingly heavy for their diminutive size, but not overly so. Eye relief was a bit short, IMO. I still have the Atlas Strike Eagle 6.5x32 I bought at the same time. Also a porro design.They are over all larger than the Kingbird, fit my hands well, and are slightly heavier with better eye relief than the Kingbird. I wear glasses. They go in the car for those 'gotta take a closer look' moment.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#16 dusty99

dusty99

Viking 1

Posted 27 October 2020 - 06:55 AM

The "Strike Eagle" 6.5s came from the same factory that made 32mm binoculars for Vixen.  I gave a pair to my wife and she likes them - easier to hold steady than a lighter/smaller pair of roof prism binoculars and optically very good.

I bought a pair of the Kingbird bins when Eagle Optics was going out of business 2-3 years ago. I gave them to my younger sister a week or so ago. The Kingbird was nice for the price ($54 shipped), solid build, and the optics were quite good as long as you don't expect sharpness right up to the edges. I found them to be surprisingly heavy for their diminutive size, but not overly so. Eye relief was a bit short, IMO. I still have the Atlas Strike Eagle 6.5x32 I bought at the same time. Also a porro design.They are over all larger than the Kingbird, fit my hands well, and are slightly heavier with better eye relief than the Kingbird. I wear glasses. They go in the car for those 'gotta take a closer look' moment.

#17 Bill david

Bill david

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:23 PM

Miss Eagle Optics! Passionate staff and customer service.

Have had the Kowa 6x30's and compared them to my Leopold 8x30's for a few weeks now.

At this price point, both are so amazing that 20 years ago, could not dream of this quality at this price point!

Both are very high Quilty optics, but now prefer the Kowa's slightly more. Easier and smother operation, slightly better on small objects at night and the Moon to bring the focus point, but the difference is slight!

A real test is the shadows on the partial Moon and Satellites of Jupiter. Neither got the Jupiter moons (too low power now days, light pollution), but shadows on the Moon were slight, but obvious in the Kowa.

Just thought the contrast was slightly better in the Kowa's.

Well my two cents and hope it helps someone.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#18 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:26 AM

Miss Eagle Optics! Passionate staff and customer service.

For what it's worth, I believe Eagle Optics didn't really disappear, they kind of morphed into Vortex Optics. 

Jon

#19 Swedpat

Swedpat

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Boden, Sweden, Scandinavia

Posted 03 November 2020 - 09:26 AM

I know Yosemites are great binoculars for the price. I have had the 6x30 and really liked it. Very nice in the hands, perfect with eyeglasses and super sharp.

I guess Kowa YF is the very same optics, just in another cover.

#20 dusty99

dusty99

Viking 1

Posted 03 November 2020 - 10:03 AM

I don’t think so, given the difference in diopter adjustment (longer in the Kowa), eye relief (greater in the Kowa) and color cast (warmer in the Leupold).  They are very similar, though.  It could also be that Leupold has changed production facilities over the past several years.  I bought a couple of pairs of each about ten years ago and gave all but one pair of Kowas as gifts but haven’t compared them recently.

I know Yosemites are great binoculars for the price. I have had the 6x30 and really liked it. Very nice in the hands, perfect with eyeglasses and super sharp.

I guess Kowa YF is the very same optics, just in another cover.

#21 Swedpat

Swedpat

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Boden, Sweden, Scandinavia

Posted 03 November 2020 - 03:53 PM

I don’t think so, given the difference in diopter adjustment (longer in the Kowa), eye relief (greater in the Kowa) and color cast (warmer in the Leupold).  They are very similar, though.  It could also be that Leupold has changed production facilities over the past several years.  I bought a couple of pairs of each about ten years ago and gave all but one pair of Kowas as gifts but haven’t compared them recently.

I based my presumtion on that they both have(at least have had) same stated eye relief(20mm) and very similar eyepieces and body size. Opticron Savanna is another clone to these. I have only tried Leupold, though.
Regarding the eye relief the stated value is not always to trust. It would be interesting to compare all these 6x30s side by side. 

Edited by Swedpat, 03 November 2020 - 03:55 PM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics