•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky-Watcher ST120, 6.5 lbs.? Orion ST120, 8.6 lbs.?

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 starstruck85

starstruck85

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:28 PM

I think I'm pretty much sold on a 120mm F5 refractor. The Sky-Watcher and the Orion are the same scope, right? Both Synta products?

I just find it curious that the Sky-Watcher USA lists the scope as weighing 6.5 lbs. (second paragraph in the description): https://www.skywatch...rtravel-120-az3

I've seen it mentioned or listed elsewhere as 6.5 lbs., too.

While the Orion site lists theirs at 8.6 lbs (Specs tab): https://www.telescop...2160/p/9836.uts

What can account for the over 2 lbs. discrepancy? The wording of both sites indicate it is the weight of the OTA, not OTA + accessories. If I buy from FLO in the UK... even with the shipping to the US... it seems that the price of the Sky-Watcher OTA is about the same as the Orion when you factor in needing to buy rings + dovetail for the Orion. You could potentially come out ahead if you sold off all the other accessories that come with the Sky-Watcher. I also noticed that the Sky-Watcher appears to have slightly nicer metal focusing knobs as opposed to the plastic ones on the Orion. If it is truly 2 lbs. lighter somehow, why not buy the Sky-Watcher from FLO? https://www.firstlig...l-120t-ota.html

In Ed Ting's recent review of the Orion ST120, he weighed the OTA at around 8 lbs. Is anyone willing to weigh their Sky-Watcher ST120 OTA?

PS: This would mostly be mounted on a Vixen Porta II with a Berlebach Report 472 wooden tripod. I think either way it "should" be fine, but 6.5 lbs. sounds a lot better than 8.6 lbs. when talking about lightweight mounts.

Thanks ahead for any information you guys and gals have. The CN community is truly remarkable!

Edited by starstruck85, 19 October 2020 - 03:32 PM.

#2 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:43 PM

The 8.6lbs is correct.

Looks like SW copied/pasted the info from the StarTravel 102mm (as I suspected).

• Jon Isaacs, Terra Nova and starstruck85 like this

#3 starstruck85

starstruck85

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2020 - 04:03 PM

The 8.6lbs is correct.

Looks like SW copied/pasted the info from the StarTravel 102mm (as I suspected).

So, when do our checks arrive from Sky-Watcher for QA'ing their website? lol.gif

Any thoughts on how well the ST120 will handle on a Vixen Porta II with Berlebach tripod? Nothing to worry about, or is it pushing the limits?

#4 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 19 October 2020 - 04:36 PM

Common error in Astronomy where there's various sizes of the same instrument.

You'll should be fine with that mount/tripod. 

#5 starstruck85

starstruck85

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2020 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for confirming! I really think this could be my "Goldilocks" set up. Not so big that it is a drag to take out, but still has got some oomph for nice views.

Clear skies!

#6 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 19 October 2020 - 07:55 PM

It looks like FLO is out of stock 

#7 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:08 AM

That mount would handle that short scope ! Why would you want to buy from the UK when you could buy the same scope in Canada with a 35 cent on the $ exchange rate bonus ? And no duties to be paid probably just US sales tax based on the US $ value of the scope, its the same as us buying south of the border back to Canada ! And it is a great, capable wide field scope !

Edited by LDW47, 20 October 2020 - 11:09 AM.

#8 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:12 AM

I use my ST120 on a Porta, used to have it on the Versago which is similar when fitted with the stock extruded aluminium legs, both handled it ok but not perfect, adding a bit of weight on the tray helps, Dave.

• starstruck85 likes this

#9 starstruck85

starstruck85

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:47 AM

That mount would handle that short scope ! Why would you want to buy from the UK when you could buy the same scope in Canada with a 35 cent on the $ exchange rate bonus ? And no duties to be paid probably just US sales tax based on the US $ value of the scope, its the same as us buying south of the border back to Canada ! And it is a great, capable wide field scope !

It's not that I really want to buy from the UK, it was more for example's sake (near the top of the google results). Are you able to buy it as OTA only, or only as a package? The Porta II that I have should definitely be better than the mount that comes packaged with the StarTravel 120.

My grandparents had a cottage on a lake outside of North Bay, Ontario off highway 522. Had some amazing summer nights with absolutely star filled skies as a kid... but sadly, no telescope to be had! Wahhhh!!!

#10 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:10 PM

It's not that I really want to buy from the UK, it was more for example's sake (near the top of the google results). Are you able to buy it as OTA only, or only as a package? The Porta II that I have should definitely be better than the mount that comes packaged with the StarTravel 120.

My grandparents had a cottage on a lake outside of North Bay, Ontario off highway 522. Had some amazing summer nights with absolutely star filled skies as a kid... but sadly, no telescope to be had! Wahhhh!!!

Commanda Lake, Pickerel Lake or ...... ? No scope you missed out for sure ! Beautiful country ! Black skize ! I have 3 Porta II’s, they handle that size of scope well, got rid of my 3 VersaGo’s and 1 TW I for reasons of ......... !

#11 starstruck85

starstruck85

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:42 PM

Commanda Lake, Pickerel Lake or ...... ? No scope you missed out for sure ! Beautiful country ! Black skize ! I have 3 Porta II’s, they handle that size of scope well, got rid of my 3 VersaGo’s and 1 TW I for reasons of ......... !

It was near Wauquimakog Lake, but well outside the "light pollution" from the town of Port Loring. Just boulders, lakes, trees, and dark skies out there. Very beautiful. Someday I'll be back to the area... and the ST120 will be coming along! lol

#12 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 October 2020 - 05:21 PM

It was near Wauquimakog Lake, but well outside the "light pollution" from the town of Port Loring. Just boulders, lakes, trees, and dark skies out there. Very beautiful. Someday I'll be back to the area... and the ST120 will be coming along! lol

I think Wikwemikong Lake is on Manitoulin Island, on the First Nations lands, thats a long way from Port Loring. I have been to both places hundreds of times in my career and my pleasure, Manitoulin Island as a whole is a dark sky island, it may be the largest fresh water island in the world, all the land is private farm land, with friendly farmers and lots of open fields an astronomer paradise, if you will over 90% of its area.  PS:  Unless of course the lake you mention is a lot smaller, lesser known lake in the Loring area, there are literally hundreds and hundreds of barely inhabited lakes, ponds and streams !

#13 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 October 2020 - 05:28 PM

You are right I see your lake is a part of the Pickerel River system ! Nice wilderness, black sky country ! Try and get there, it hasn’t changed very much, the skize are still dark and the few people are still friendly. Ever remember eating at Jake’s Place in Loring ? Quite a character, lol !

#14 starstruck85

starstruck85

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:53 PM

You are right I see your lake is a part of the Pickerel River system ! Nice wilderness, black sky country ! Try and get there, it hasn’t changed very much, the skize are still dark and the few people are still friendly. Ever remember eating at Jake’s Place in Loring ? Quite a character, lol !

I don't recall ever eating out while there, but I do recall a hardware store called Buchanan's I think where we always stopped in for our Ontario fishing licenses. Everyone was extremely nice, always waving and saying hello. No one even locked their doors.

The skies were incredible to my suburban Baltimore eyes. Stars filling the sky, meteors shooting all the time, even the Northern Lights on occasion.

If only I had an ST120 then! Heck even a pair of binoculars! Someday...

• LDW47 likes this

#15 Simoes Pedro

Simoes Pedro

Viking 1

Posted 21 October 2020 - 04:36 AM

Where they weighed on the same planet?

#16 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:13 AM

The 8.6lbs is correct.

I used to own an Orion ST120 and can confirm Mike's weight for it.

#17 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:00 AM

If the Porta II can’t handle that lite weight even after adding a 2” diagonal and ep, I’ll eat my hat, as my old grandma used to say, lol !

#18 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:02 AM

I’ve had two. I’ll go with the 8+ lbs bare tube and 10+ once you add in rings, a rail, 2” diagonal, 2” eyepiece, and a finder. I am a big fan of my Vixen Porta II’s capability’s but it was definitely on the cusp with my ST120. It was a lot happier on my Celestron Omni CG-4 mount.

Attached Thumbnails

• 15984A0C-6507-44D0-B1AD-644750777B7A.jpeg

• BFaucett likes this

#19 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:09 PM

I had my ST120 on a Super Polaris mount on the standard wooden tripod, with no problems for visual or EAA use.

#20 starstruck85

starstruck85

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:17 PM

I’ve had two. I’ll go with the 8+ lbs bare tube and 10+ once you add in rings, a rail, 2” diagonal, 2” eyepiece, and a finder. I am a big fan of my Vixen Porta II’s capability’s but it was definitely on the cusp with my ST120. It was a lot happier on my Celestron Omni CG-4 mount.

That's what I was a bit worried about. Even contemplated a ST102 instead, but I think that would lead to a serious case of the "what ifs..." always thinking about how the view could have been better with the ST120. I'm hoping the wooden Berlebach tripod puts it over the cusp of "somewhat wobbly" to "solid," compared to the stock tripod.

Edited by starstruck85, 22 October 2020 - 07:16 AM.

• Terra Nova likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics