•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I have a Sony RX10 IV camera, which mounts/telescopes should I consider?

astrophotography beginner CMOS equipment mount
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 math268

math268

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:29 PM

Hi,

After reading for a few weeks on astronomy and astrophography I need your help!
As the title says, I have a Sony RX10 IV camera (1 inch sensor, 24-600mm lens) and want to buy a telescope for observation with our children and ideally for some astrophotography with the RX camera. I have a budget around 800$ for the telescope, camera adapter, tripod and mount. We would like to take nice (not blurry dot) pictures of some deep space objects. Is it worth it or should we forget about astrophotography with this budget?

I think I need an Equatorial mount for long exposures, am I right?

Should I get a "kit" with a mount or a telescope with a separate mount? There is a finite number of "kits", so it is an attractive idea to prevent my brain from bursting from the number of choices and having to ensure compatibility.

As for the type of camera adapter, I searched a bit and found that I should not use an adapter that fixes on the filter thread in front of the camera because of its large weight. Is there a generic adapter that accepts large cameras? Most seem limited to small cameras... Any ideas?

Thank you!

#2 GR-Amateur

GR-Amateur

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 October 2020 - 04:12 PM

More experienced guys here for sure are goin to enlighten you with more trustworthy and detailed answers. Nevertheless, I think that you already got your scope here. 600mm is more than enough (I also believe that your camera cannot be fitted on a scope by the way, while body and lense are fixed). My opinion is to check Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer type of mounts, this is probably what you are looking for and probably the only way to go in order to take a step towards astrophotography.

#3 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 19 October 2020 - 10:41 PM

Your camera can't be attached to a telescope, it has a fixed lens. You need a dSLR to directly attach your camera to the telescope....

You could try afocal  photography, taking a photo through the eyepiecce, but it would be same as just using your cell phone...

You are are on a dead end mission trying to use the RX for AP....

$800 would buy you nice Dob for visual use, and you can still use your cell phone for photos of the moon.

#4 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 21 October 2020 - 03:05 PM

Your camera can't be attached to a telescope, it has a fixed lens. You need a dSLR to directly attach your camera to the telescope....

You could try afocal photography, taking a photo through the eyepiecce, but it would be same as just using your cell phone...

You are are on a dead end mission trying to use the RX for AP....

$800 would buy you nice Dob for visual use, and you can still use your cell phone for photos of the moon.

Normally I would agree but after using one of these cameras I will say that if you can turn off the image stabilizer and usb tether, this camera has potential to perform very well. On land this camera is easily a dslr killer. Thats a sony zeiss zoom f4 all the way through on a smaller than aps-c bsi sensor. I almost got one instead of my a7riii but wanted to be able to pair up to a refractor telescope.

Pick up a star tracker or eq mount and give it a shot, its enough to do wide field work with. The 600mm side of the lens is up in the air

Edited by calypsob, 21 October 2020 - 03:06 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, CMOS, equipment, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics