•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Filter Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mstrieber

mstrieber

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Las Vegas, NV

Posted 19 October 2020 - 04:36 PM

I have a few bucks to spend on a new filter and would like some recommendations.   I'm using an unmodded Canon 600D, William Optics ZenithStar 80mm, and I live in horrible Bortle 8 Las Vegas skies.  I have an Optolong UHC filter (clip in).  Would I be better off getting an IDAS v4, OIII, or some other variety of filter?   What would serve me best for shooting nebulas under my conditions?   Thanks.

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 19 October 2020 - 04:44 PM

Have you read the Prairie Astronomy Club article, "Useful Filters For Viewing Deep-Sky Objects"?  

#3 mstrieber

mstrieber

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Las Vegas, NV

Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:16 PM

I've read a lot material but not that one.  I will, thanks.

#4 the Elf

the Elf

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Germany

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:33 PM

On the long term a mono camera and a set of Ha, O3 and S2 filters. Easier to use but less versatile an OSC astro camera and the Optolong L-extreme. If you want to continue using a DSLR I'd try to get a modded one with a more recent less noisy sensor like the 800D. If you want to keep the cost low modify your 600D first and try the filter you have. From measurement I made in an optics lab I'd say modding a 600D doubles the Ha sensitivity. That is not really a lot, just one f-stop. Given the low QE really think about a mono camera with a Sony backside illuminated sensor.

May I ask how much "a few bucks" is? Enough for a mono camera or enough for a mod?

Edited by the Elf, 20 October 2020 - 02:34 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics