•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mounting AWB Onesky to Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 robcurtis2

robcurtis2

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2020 - 04:58 PM

So I have a Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod that I would like to mount myu AWB Onesky to.  Ideas? Has anyone done this?  Let me know when you can.

Thanks in advance

RC

#2 Lazaroff

Lazaroff

Messenger

Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:00 PM

I've done something similar.

You could attach a Stellarvue M001V altaz mount directly to the tripod. The OneSky would attach directly to the mount. You'd need to raise the center column for the scope to clear the tripod when pointed near the zenith.

I'd have a couple of concerns, though. First, vibrations might take a while to settle down--but this is probably tolerable. Second, and perhaps more important, the weight of the OneSky would be offset to one side quite a bit, and it might make the whole setup a bit unstable.

I used a similar altaz mount on a different Bogen/Monfrotto tripod, weighing about three times at much, and stability wasn't a problem. Unfortunately,  the setup was a bit vibration prone. Curiously, though, and contrary to common sense, when I put the mount on a lighter Bogen/Manfrotto, more similar to yours, the vibrations damped more quickly. Go figure. But I was concerned it might tip over.

Edited by Lazaroff, 19 October 2020 - 06:01 PM.

#3 robcurtis2

robcurtis2

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:55 PM

and the Altaz mount will go with a motorized tracker ect? Forgive me with my newbieness.

Edited by robcurtis2, 19 October 2020 - 06:56 PM.

#4 Lazaroff

Lazaroff

Messenger

Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:59 PM

No, it's entirely low-tech, all manual, no tracking. Afraid I can't help you with the motorized stuff.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics