•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best Android cell phone for Astrophotography ?

NV
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 elrod

elrod

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Florida west coast

Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:09 PM

Hey guys,
I've been reading manuals and posts in forums till my eyes have crossed and it's all starting to look like Chinese.
I'm looking for an Android phone which I can do astrophotography. LOng exposure night shots through the eyepiece.
My current phone is a Moto Z and it will not allow anything other than a 1/4s shutter speed,
what's out there on the market now.... but has decent camera and it's not just a brick when it comes to making phone calls?

Thanks for looking
Elrod

Edited by elrod, 19 October 2020 - 06:36 PM.

#2 DanDK

DanDK

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:15 AM

I have a second-hand Google Pixel 3 Android  (my first smartphone) that my daughter-in-law passed along to me last Christmas.  The camera's "Night Sight" astrophotography option takes 65-second exposures, or less if you choose. So very simple, nothing fancy, but it picks up faint detail.  I use it regularly with my night vision device and 10" dob.  Here's an example (Veil nebula):

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC 6960 etc. Veil Nebula.jpg

• dswtan, Joko and elrod like this

#3 wxcloud

wxcloud

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:26 AM

I'd go with a pixel, even one of the A models. Cameras are pretty good for a phone and I'm glad I have a pixel one when I don't have an actual camera on hand because I can get some decent images. However I'm speaking daylight terms as I haven't gotten the phone lines up with an eyepiece correctly yet to get a great nighttime image. But that's on me. I did buy a cheap adapter to hold the phone to the eyepiece off Amazon... It's still in the box :/

#4 Deesk06

Deesk06

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:34 AM

If it is a phone you are looking for then I would have to agree the pixel series. I own the new Pixel 4a(owned a 2xl before) and it is amazing. I am done purchasing "high end" phones. The Pixel 4a comes in at $349 which is awesome. Really a superb phone. It has the ability to do the "astro" mode which can take long exposures over a certain amount of time. As far as imaging go, as long as your okay with phone quality and nothing more than a snapshot then it is fine. Do not expect top quality. If you are actually looking to image, and your sole purpose is to produce results then I would steer you away from phones. 

So is it a phone your looking for with the ability to just help you "see" DSO, or are you looking for a start to deep sky imaging? 

I gave the pixel a try at a Bortle 4, it was okay. however, probably the best phone you could do this with. 

This is the best I could do, a botched job. Probably does not show the full extent of the phone. However, you can get an idea. 

Pixel Milkyway

Edited by Deesk06, 20 October 2020 - 11:56 AM.

• dswtan likes this

#5 elrod

elrod

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2020 - 01:57 AM

If it is a phone you are looking for then I would have to agree the pixel series. I own the new Pixel 4a(owned a 2xl before) and it is amazing. I am done purchasing "high end" phones. The Pixel 4a comes in at $349 which is awesome. Really a superb phone. It has the ability to do the "astro" mode which can take long exposures over a certain amount of time. As far as imaging go, as long as your okay with phone quality and nothing more than a snapshot then it is fine. Do not expect top quality. If you are actually looking to image, and your sole purpose is to produce results then I would steer you away from phones. 

So is it a phone your looking for with the ability to just help you "see" DSO, or are you looking for a start to deep sky imaging? 

I gave the pixel a try at a Bortle 4, it was okay. however, probably the best phone you could do this with. 

This is the best I could do, a botched job. Probably does not show the full extent of the phone. However, you can get an idea.

I'm looking for a smartphone to use in conjunction with a NVD for long exposures photo.
I wish to do photos using manual exsposure/shutter speed and delivers a raw data file, has adjusable shutter speed and ISO in manual or Pro mode.
Prefer getting the raw image as opposed to processed image from the camera. My main objective for this is just to record a diary of sorts,I am basically visual and have no intention of going Beyond cell phone snapshots but would like to be able to take good quality raw images that I can process
That also gives a good representation of the object being viewed.

Thanks
elrod
  • Deesk06 likes this

#6 Deesk06

Deesk06

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:20 AM

I'm looking for a smartphone to use in conjunction with a NVD for long exposures photo.
I wish to do photos using manual exsposure/shutter speed and delivers a raw data file, has adjusable shutter speed and ISO in manual or Pro mode.
Prefer getting the raw image as opposed to processed image from the camera. My main objective for this is just to record a diary of sorts,I am basically visual and have no intention of going Beyond cell phone snapshots but would like to be able to take good quality raw images that I can process
That also gives a good representation of the object being viewed.

Thanks
elrod

Got it, 

You cannot change the shutters peed on a pixel. It is calculated by its algorithm I guess. 

• elrod likes this

#7 elrod

elrod

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2020 - 01:51 PM

Got it, 

You cannot change the shutters peed on a pixel. It is calculated by its algorithm I guess.
[/quote]

I know they are out there. I would like to do function comparisons of afew. Just to know whats available.
When I read the owners manuals full of specs, functions. When they discribe manual shutter control.
That is the complete description. Yes it has a manual shutter function.

Anyone have some options for me?

elrod

#8 MellonLake

MellonLake

Viking 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 21 October 2020 - 02:02 PM

The Pixel 4 allows you through various aftermarket Aps (AstroCam) to set the shutter speed and ISO (up to 6400) and lock the focus at infinity.   It allows exposures up to 10s.  It is also intervalometer but alas, no exposures longer than 10s that I have found (probably about right for unguided subs anyways).  

However, the Pixel 4 also has a built in Astrophotography mode that stacks images (I have yet to try it afocally through the telescope).  However it takes some really great astrophotographs when simply mounted to my non-goto EQ6.  The image below was stacked and processed by the phone and was about a 5 minute exposure.

sagittarius small.jpg

• mccambjd likes this

#9 wxcloud

wxcloud

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:50 PM

I believe you can have the g camera shoot in raw+jpg. At least at one time on the pixels you could. Not sure on what modes, guessing just regular since I'm sure google applies some filtering on various modes

#10 MellonLake

MellonLake

Viking 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:00 PM

The Pixel 4 will shoot images in raw.  

#11 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:22 PM

Samsung Galaxy S10.

Raw, full manual control with only the main lens.

Focus, ISO, shutter speeds up to 30 seconds.

Jerry

PSX_20201021_232152.jpg

• elrod likes this

#12 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:33 PM

PSX_20201021_233157.jpg

Here is another with the S10.

Full manual 15 seconds iso 800.

Edited by Jerry Lodriguss, 21 October 2020 - 10:35 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NV

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics