•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M56 sketch

sketching observing report
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 starblue

starblue

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: St. George, Utah, USA

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:04 PM

Here is a sketch of M56 I drew last night. A woodcut in an 1800's observing manual shows an arc of stars around it, but I couldn't find it. Books that old are notoriously bad giving specifics about their drawings such as FOV or magnification or orientation, so modern observers are left scratching their heads about how to relate the illustration to what they see in the scope.

Basic stats: 10/18/2020, 9-10:30pm MDT, Washington, UT backyard. Celestron Comet Catcher, 5.5" Schmidt-Newtonian. iOptron GEM45G mount, sidereal tracking. Image circle is 100x at 0.45*. The observation took a hour and a half, the drawing itself half that.

Drawing materials: Computer paper on clipboard illuminated by a handheld red-light flashlight. Drawn using a Sanford Design 2B art pencil and Pentel Clic vinyl eraser (shown in the photo). Outlined a 2.5" jar lid to make the image circle.

I won't claim my drawing accuracy is any better than those old books, particularly once outside the image circle. In fact, in the image annotated with the stars' magnitudes (from SkySafari 6), the "?" stars says I didn't do a very good job since I couldn't locate them in SkySafari afterwards; they might even be duplicates.

Initially I drew just the stars inside the FOV and wrote some comments below. But when I expanded to drawing stars outside the image circle I had to erase the comments to make room, so the bottom of the sketch is a bit messy.

Attached Thumbnails

• draw_M56.JPG
  • draw_M56_mag.JPG

• Magellanico, frank5817, jim kuhns and 5 others like this

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 19 October 2020 - 10:52 PM

starblue,

Fine looking sketch of globular M56, In addition to the cluster you captures and indicated the magnitudes of the field stars. This is nice because it shows what a nice star field the cluster is located in.

Frank :)

#3 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 20 October 2020 - 03:15 PM

StarBlue,

Nice sketch of M-56 smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sketching, observing report

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics