•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Please Help No Respnse 17 and 16

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Gamewarden

Gamewarden

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Centreville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:51 AM

I have a 2020 Celestron 6SE telescope. Was working fine but now displays the dreaded NO RESPONSE 17 AND THEN 16. The scrolling on the display states that this is the Invalid model and when you hit enter the display reads Nexstar GPS not Nexstar SE. 

Is this the GPS bug??

Version menu states   NXS 5.31 .9200         MC ?. ??. ??? IT shows question marks as written.

I have a friends Nexstar + handset and when I use this everything works as normal. So something in the handset is not right.

I have updated with CFM as you can see by the latest HC version.

Any suggestions

Edited by Gamewarden, 20 October 2020 - 08:28 AM.

#2 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Soyuz

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:00 AM

Here's what Celestron says about the Error 16/17 codes with some suggestions for a fix:

https://www.celestro...esponse-17-mean

Good Luck Troubleshooting

• Gamewarden likes this

#3 Gamewarden

Gamewarden

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:19 AM

Thank you I read the article. When I go to Utilities I still get all question marks after the MC version strange and it still states Nexstar GPS not Nexstar SE as it should. It is like the HC on the telescope has been told it is a GPS not a SE.

When I press back a number of times it does go into the alignment menus as stated in the article but then reverts back to the No response errors.

Edited by Gamewarden, 20 October 2020 - 08:30 AM.

#4 Avgvstvs

Avgvstvs

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:46 AM

Contact Celestron

#5 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:48 AM

Thank you I read the article. When I go to Utilities I still get all question marks after the MC version strange and it still states Nexstar GPS not Nexstar SE as it should. It is like the HC on the telescope has been told it is a GPS not a SE.

When I press back a number of times it does go into the alignment menus as stated in the article but then reverts back to the No response errors.

Error 16  and 17 mean the hand controller can't talk to the mount motor controllers. This means the handset doesn't know what mount it is connected to. So it just defaults to one, normally the first mount on the list.

This is often caused by the cord not making contact. Is the cord plug or connector damaged?

• Gamewarden likes this

#6 3snows

3snows

Mariner 2

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:50 AM

Try plugging the HC into the aux port.  Sometimes those ports go bad (bent pins, etc.).

You can read more about it at this site: https://www.nexstars.../NoResponse.htm

• Gamewarden likes this

#7 Gamewarden

Gamewarden

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:02 AM

I have the HC plugged into the aux port. When I go to version info in the menu I get all question marks after the MC version.

When I replace this handset with one I know works correctly I get Verison  MC 5.14   5.14 and HC 5.31.9200.

So the non working HC cannot communicate with the 2 MC boards in the mount and that is the reason I get the ????????.

The second HC everything works great.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

Anyway to force the HC to recognize the 2 motor control boards???????

Edited by Gamewarden, 20 October 2020 - 09:07 AM.

#8 3snows

3snows

Mariner 2

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:05 AM

It is possible that the HC is broken but I would try a firmware upgrade first.  Perhaps it has become corrupted somehow.

#9 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:22 AM

Anyway to force the HC to recognize the 2 motor control boards???????

No. If your mount works with another HC, the mount is fine. Since your HC also starts up, that is probably fine. I think your cord is damaged somewhere, possibly inside the handset. If the HC cannot physically talk to the MC, you can't force it.

• Gamewarden likes this

#10 Gamewarden

Gamewarden

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:55 AM

NON working HC.jpg

NON working HC

working HC.jpg

Working HC

Edited by Gamewarden, 20 October 2020 - 09:56 AM.

#11 donel

donel

Vostok 1

• Loc: RB Community in San Diego

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:57 AM

Sounds like you have the wrong hand controller...

#12 Gamewarden

Gamewarden

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:38 AM

Sounds like you have the wrong hand controller...

Both of these hand controllers are from new Celestron 6SE telescopes. With the borrowed second HC the mount works fine. The one with the MC ???????? is the one I am trying to fix. It is the one for this scope and gives the dreaded No response 17 and 16. I am trying to fix this HC. I have updated with CFM numerous times. Obviously there is something wrong with this controller and failing any suggestions on how to force it to recognize the MC boards it looks like contacting Celestron is the last resort.

Mark

#13 Maritime

Maritime

Mariner 2

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:38 PM

I suggest you buy starsense auto align on Amazon (quick delivery).  Included is a dedicated starsense hand control, and you will enjoy auto align. Be warned NOT to follow the manual, and come here, first. You’ll be back in business and you can send the old hc to Celestron at your leisure. Trust me, you will enjoy starsense. 

#14 Maritime

Maritime

Mariner 2

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:41 PM

Oh, sorry, I see you already have it....blush.gif

#15 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:32 PM

As JIm has mentioned a couple of times, the original hand controller has failed. 

I agree that it is most likely a connector/cable problem, but it would be interesting see what happens with just a firmware reload (CFM). If it is failed hand controller hardware new ones are available for around $100. Alternatively any used + model could also be used as long as it gets loaded with the NXS (alt az) firmware.

#16 Gamewarden

Gamewarden

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:40 PM

As JIm has mentioned a couple of times, the original hand controller has failed. 

I agree that it is most likely a connector/cable problem, but it would be interesting see what happens with just a firmware reload (CFM). If it is failed hand controller hardware new ones are available for around $100. Alternatively any used + model could also be used as long as it gets loaded with the NXS (alt az) firmware.

I have tried to reload the firmware ( CFM ) a few times but it does not fix the problem. As stated earlier a second HC works perfectly so the problem lies in the HC. Still under warranty so I may ask Celestron for a new HC. Running out of ideas to try.

Does Mike Swanson have any ideas?????

I have his book and did check out his nexstar site.

Edited by Gamewarden, 20 October 2020 - 02:42 PM.

#17 Maritime

Maritime

Mariner 2

Posted 20 October 2020 - 04:59 PM

Put the t..d in Celestron’s pocket. 

Edited by Maritime, 20 October 2020 - 05:02 PM.

#18 markf

markf

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, TX

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:58 PM

I think you pretty much have the issue isolated. So it's in the hands of Celestron....

But If you still want to tinker, I would take a close look at the connector on the HC cord.  These telephone style plugs are fairly reliable, but it's easy to miss any damage.  I just grabbed a random image of network style connector off the 'net, so this isn't exactly the same one, but shows how the channels should appear. 

Make sure none of the sides of the little channels (circled) aren't bent over and there's no debris in the channels.  Both of which will prevent a good connection.  If the plastic is bent, assuming it's not too bad, you can try to straighten with a small jeweler's screw driver or paper clip.  If it's badly smooshed, it's probably a lost cause unless have the tools and connector to change it yourself.  If there's debris, blow it out with some canned air, or use paper clip to "brush" it out.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Edited by markf, 21 October 2020 - 12:42 PM.

#19 whizbang

whizbang

Viking 1

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:28 PM

I agree with the other posts. 

You need to return the hand control for a replacement.

That's what warranties are for.

#20 Maritime

Maritime

Mariner 2

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:06 PM

Where is Northeast of Seattle?  I’m in Denny Blaine, a few hundred yards from the lake, with a streetlight about 40 feet away,  at the level of my roof deck. Since we have no police, I guess I could use self help.  smile.gif

#21 giganova

giganova

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Washington, DC

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:11 PM

I returned my Nexstar Evolution 6 today for the same reason. Celestron tech support said its a fault in the mount's electronics.

#22 windowpane

windowpane

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:31 PM

I have exactly the same problem.  My gut feeling, after trying every permutation of HCNestar+/HCStarsense/cableA-on-HCA-on HCB, cableB-on-HCA-HCB, is that this is a problem in the Nexstar+ HC software.  My gut feeling is often indigestion however, and thus not a reliable indicator of anything.  Please keep posting as you search for/find a solution!

#23 MJB87

MJB87

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:02 PM

Note from moderator -- please stay on topic. If you want to discuss planetary imaging, please post that in the appropriate forum.

#24 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 27 October 2020 - 12:18 AM

I have tried to reload the firmware ( CFM ) a few times but it does not fix the problem. As stated earlier a second HC works perfectly so the problem lies in the HC. Still under warranty so I may ask Celestron for a new HC. Running out of ideas to try.

Does Mike Swanson have any ideas?????

I have his book and did check out his nexstar site.

Sorry, been really busy lately and haven't had time to read all the posts.

As noted by others and yourself, since a second HC works fine, the problem is in the HC.  If you contact Celestron I'm fairly certain they will send you a new HC.  As far as what might have gone wrong, since the hand control powers up and basically functions normally, that means it is getting power from the mount.  Thus, the +12V and ground pin in the RJ-12 plug are fine.  But, the transmit and receive pins are having issues.  There are just a few possible failure points.

First, the clear plastic RJ-12 plug may have issues.  The only sensible way to fix that is to cut it off and crimp on a new one.  You would need the appropriate crimping tool, a new RJ-12 plug and you must be certain you insert the coiled cable in the same orientation (notice the wire colors) as the original plug.

Second, the connector where the coiled cable plugs into the circuit board inside the HC might need to be cleaned and/or reseated.  You would need to remove the back cover to get to that.

Third, the coiled cable may be damaged.  This is least likely unless you see obvious physical damage.

And finally, the electronics in the communication buffer for either transmit or receive have failed.  No easy fix there as that involves replacing tiny surface mounted electronic components.  The buffer circuits can simply fail due to faulty components but everyone should be aware you can also damage them by plugging or unplugging the hand control while the mount is powered on.  What happens is the ground pin is disconnected momentarily while the +12V pin is still connected and the 12V power finds its way to ground via the transmit or receive pin, damaging the buffer (those circuits are designed for 5V).  This is rare, but it does happen.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

https://www.NexStarSite.com 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics