•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cannot figure out Remote desktop app

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 birddog99

birddog99

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:57 AM

I have just purchased a mini computer to handle capture, phd2, mount control, etc. I want to remote to my laptop and control everything from the laptop. The laptop is Windows 10 Home, and the mini pc is Windows 10 Pro. As I understand it, in order to utilize the remote desktop feature, both computers have to be Windows 10 Pro. However I saw where you can download an App called Remote desktop from the Microsoft store to the Windows Home computer, which will allow you to connect to the mini pc. I did that. No joy. The app asks me for a username and password, which I would assume is my Microsoft account username and password. No joy. I am at a loss as to how to make this work. Another thing I don't understand, is setting up the mini computer to be ready for my laptop to connect in. I am completely familiar with Teamviewer, but since I wont have a monitor and mouse out in the field to load Teamviewer so that my laptop can connect, how do I set up the mini computer to automatically have Teamveiwer loaded and ready for my laptop to connect. I thought this would be easy, but I guess I was wrong. Hopefully someone out there can set me straight. Thanks for the replies in advance. Links to some video tutorials on how to do this would be great. 

#2 Joshm1084

Joshm1084

Explorer 1

• Loc: Aiken, South Carolina

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:02 AM

Teamviewer loads automatically with Windows at startup. I would setup the mini computer first indoors with a monitor and keyboard/mouse attached, download and install teamviewer and register a free account with them and make sure the mini computer's teamviewer is logged into that account you register. Then so long as your mini computer is internet connected, you will always have access to it via teamviewer when it runs without a monitor/keyboard/mouse.

Your indoors computer will need to be logged into the same teamviewer account as well. 

#3 DMRandall

DMRandall

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:03 AM

Here's a quick guide on TeamViewer service mode and how to enable it if you didn't do it during installation. 

https://documentatio..._tv_service.htm

Dave

#4 Couder

Couder

Viking 1

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:45 AM

It is asking for your username and password for the remote computer. IF you are logged on with your Microsoft username on the remote computer, that will work. I do that all the time. However, if you are using a different account on the remote computer your Microsoft password will not work. I find remote desktop easier to use. Click the start button bottom left. If your user name is not displayed, click the 3 bars top left on the start menu and the user will be shown.

#5 AstroPotamus

AstroPotamus

Mariner 2

• Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:34 AM

Chicken.  Egg.  Chicken.  Egg.

Somehow, you have to be able to first log in to your (soon-to-be) remote computer so you can set it up to use it.  If you're going to sue Teamviewer, then you'll need to have a keyboard and monitor (and probably mouse) plugged in at least once to get it going.  Once it's going, you can disconnect all that stuff and only ever need Teamview remote client to connect to it.

You can do the same thing with VNC (another remote desktop tool).  There are others, as well.  But somewhere, sometime, somehow, you have to be able to log into the thing once to be able to install and configure that software.

#6 Omeganon

Omeganon

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:12 AM

Another option is RealVNC Home. It's free, starts on startup, you don't need to know the IP that the system has and works across different networks (wireless or otherwise). I haven't gotten my full kit yet, but my setup of my miniPC and testing have been fine using it so far.

#7 starbug

starbug

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Germany

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:28 AM

You can connect from any windows version to Pro using remote desktop. And if I understand you right, you want to control from laptop devices attached to the mini computer running Win Pro. So you'll have to enable the RD connectivity on the mini PC and you're fine to go. 

#8 Pauls72

Pauls72

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:36 AM

To setup Microsoft RDP on the Mini-PC:

On the Mini-PC, bring up Control Panel, then select System, then select Remote Settings.

Select the Allow remote connections to this computer.

When you connect to the Mini-PC, it is asking for the user name and password that you normally login to the Mini-PC with.

RDP-Allow.jpg

#9 AstroPotamus

AstroPotamus

Mariner 2

• Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:39 AM

No matter what software you use, you'll need to have keyboard, mouse, and monitor plugged in to the remote computer to set it all up first.

#10 Endymion

Endymion

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:40 PM

If you want to use Microsoft Remote Desktop you will need Windows 10 Pro on the mini computer (there is a workaround available for Windows 10 Home on the web but is hard to get working and get's broken by Windows updates all the time).  I recommend Windows 10 Pro.   Now you don't need Windows 10 Pro on the computer that you are using to remote in to the mini computer.  The app that you can download (which is the part that talks to a Windows 10 Pro computer that has Remote Desktop enabled) will run on Windows Home just fine.  It is also available for iPhone, Android phones, Mac as well.

John

#11 birddog99

birddog99

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 04:49 PM

To setup Microsoft RDP on the Mini-PC:

On the Mini-PC, bring up Control Panel, then select System, then select Remote Settings.

Select the Allow remote connections to this computer.

When you connect to the Mini-PC, it is asking for the user name and password that you normally login to the Mini-PC with.

attachicon.gifRDP-Allow.jpg

Did that. However this mini pc came loaded with a licenced Windows 10 Pro(probably the sellers licence). No user ID or password is required. I just turn it on and the desktop loads.

#12 birddog99

birddog99

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 04:51 PM

No matter what software you use, you'll need to have keyboard, mouse, and monitor plugged in to the remote computer to set it all up first.

Understood. They are hooked up as we speak. Just cant figure out what the ID and password is. All I have to do is turn the mini pc on and the desktop loads. No user ID or password needed

#13 johnpd

johnpd

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Green Valley, AZ

Posted 21 October 2020 - 04:40 AM

The controlling computer must be Windows Pro. The remote computer can be Home or Pro.

JohnD

#14 selfo

selfo

Mariner 2

• Loc: Boulder CO

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:18 AM

Understood. They are hooked up as we speak. Just cant figure out what the ID and password is. All I have to do is turn the mini pc on and the desktop loads. No user ID or password needed

I recently setup RDP on my new Beelink Mini as well and had the same issue.  What you must do is go Settings then Accounts and then Sign in options on your new Mini PC.  From there select Password which will allow you to create your own user name and password.  You will then use that user name and password when you are ready to remote into your Mini PC from your Host PC.

Edited by selfo, 21 October 2020 - 09:21 AM.

#15 birddog99

birddog99

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2020 - 11:20 AM

I recently setup RDP on my new Beelink Mini as well and had the same issue.  What you must do is go Settings then Accounts and then Sign in options on your new Mini PC.  From there select Password which will allow you to create your own user name and password.  You will then use that user name and password when you are ready to remote into your Mini PC from your Host PC.

Ok, that did the trick. Got it working! Thank you very much!!!

#16 selfo

selfo

Mariner 2

• Loc: Boulder CO

Posted 21 October 2020 - 01:12 PM

waytogo.gif

#17 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Viking 1

• Loc: Lewisville, TX

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:08 PM

FYi, as some have said here, you need to enable the remote access function in system properties on the pc you are logging into remotely.  also need to add an exception in the windows firewall for RDP access on that machine if it isn't already.  Once you have done this you would connect to it via the Ip address however it WILL ask you for a user ID and password.  There is once caveat here when logging in most don't know about this: you have to supply a domain or machine name in front of the user ID when logging in.  For example, if your machine is part of a network domain XYZ123 and you log into the machine with the user ID: SOMEUSER then the user ID field will look like this:  XYZ123\SOMEUSER  The password will be the same password you use for SOMEUSER on that machine.  IF everything is setup right, you will then be presented with the desktop from that machine.

If you are remoting into a machine that is NOT part of a windows domain, but a standalone machine, then you use the machines name in place of the Domain.  For example, the screenshot below shows where you find the PC name.  if there is a long one, like MYPCNAME.EXTRACHAR.EXTRACHAR then you use the first part which in this example is MYPCNAME.  (note following screenshot has had identifying info removed for security reasons):

example.jpg

So for this you would enter the user ID like this: MYPCNAME\SOMEUSER

That should be all you nee to do other than make sure both PC's are on the same subnet.  If they are on different subnets they may not connect when used on a home network.

#18 archer1960

archer1960

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern New England

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:13 PM

I have just purchased a mini computer to handle capture, phd2, mount control, etc. I want to remote to my laptop and control everything from the laptop. The laptop is Windows 10 Home, and the mini pc is Windows 10 Pro. As I understand it, in order to utilize the remote desktop feature, both computers have to be Windows 10 Pro. However I saw where you can download an App called Remote desktop from the Microsoft store to the Windows Home computer, which will allow you to connect to the mini pc. I did that. No joy. The app asks me for a username and password, which I would assume is my Microsoft account username and password. No joy. I am at a loss as to how to make this work. Another thing I don't understand, is setting up the mini computer to be ready for my laptop to connect in. I am completely familiar with Teamviewer, but since I wont have a monitor and mouse out in the field to load Teamviewer so that my laptop can connect, how do I set up the mini computer to automatically have Teamveiwer loaded and ready for my laptop to connect. I thought this would be easy, but I guess I was wrong. Hopefully someone out there can set me straight. Thanks for the replies in advance. Links to some video tutorials on how to do this would be great. 

the user name and password it's looking for are the ones for the machine you're connecting to, which may or may not be your MS account, depending on how you have it set up. You also need to be sure you have the permissions set up properly on the one you're remoting into.

#19 nebulasaurus

nebulasaurus

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Mostly Cloudy New Hampshire

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:55 PM

Did that. However this mini pc came loaded with a licenced Windows 10 Pro(probably the sellers licence). No user ID or password is required. I just turn it on and the desktop loads.

Errrm,

That's a huge red flag.  Windows should shipped by retailers in a licensed but not activated state.  I very recently sent a mini PC back to Amazon that had activated software, and much worse, A master key had been loaded into the BIOS that I could not remove, because I didn't have the master key (like you can't change a lock without having a key to open the door first). 

Basically, I bought a machine pre-armed to join a botnet.

You need to get malware bytes onto that machine and have a look for malware. 

J.

Edited by nebulasaurus, 23 October 2020 - 02:56 PM.

#20 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 24 October 2020 - 01:16 PM

I used Teamviewer long enough to get fed up with its nag screen.

Then I found Tight Vnc, a free, open sourced software program that has worked for me every since.

#21 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 24 October 2020 - 01:24 PM

These days I've been using Anydesk if I'm going over the internet and Remote Desktop if local. Both work just fine and Anydesk is very easy to install. As a backup I have my imaging computers set up to use google chrome remote desktop just in case. 

I'm not sure why a preinstalled key is a problem. I always set up a local admin account on my imaging computers and do not have any MS accounts on the machines, FWIW. I'd be interested in hearing more about that but it would hijack the thread. 

#22 nebulasaurus

nebulasaurus

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Mostly Cloudy New Hampshire

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:56 PM

I'm not sure why a preinstalled key is a problem. I always set up a local admin account on my imaging computers and do not have any MS accounts on the machines, FWIW. I'd be interested in hearing more about that but it would hijack the thread. 

Preinstalled OS keys on a machine that it not activated is not an issue.  But OS activation must be left to the end user.  This is how Windows OS licenses should be distributed.  Pre-installed and pre-activated is, as far as I am aware, a violation of the MS license policy, and indicates that the windows copy is pirated. lilly by misues of a volume license for bulk activation key, Failure to supply a windows key on delivery indicates the same. 

This is less of an issue because I can just reinstall windows.

The key that I had issues with were crypto keys installed into the bios (likely managed by the TPM chip) that locked down certain settings within the BIOS.  With no master key, I could not change those settings. including boot settings regarding UEFI.  That set the alarm bells ringing as this should NEVER be the case on a newly delivered machine.  Once I saw that, the machine was boxed up and sent back to Amazon. 

Either one of these things is an immediate cyber security flag.  Both together is a slam dunk that the machine has been tampered with. 

#23 starbug

starbug

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Germany

Posted 27 October 2020 - 12:34 AM

Check this registry key (use regedit) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon if there is a DefaultUserName and DefaultPassword configured

#24 birddog99

birddog99

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 06:37 PM

Errrm,

That's a huge red flag.  Windows should shipped by retailers in a licensed but not activated state.  I very recently sent a mini PC back to Amazon that had activated software, and much worse, A master key had been loaded into the BIOS that I could not remove, because I didn't have the master key (like you can't change a lock without having a key to open the door first). 

Basically, I bought a machine pre-armed to join a botnet.

You need to get malware bytes onto that machine and have a look for malware. 

J.

In this case the vender sent me a product key. So hopefully I wont have issues

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics