•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does anyone know where to get a adapter to fit standard .9" microscope EPs to 1.25"?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 iseegeorgesstar

iseegeorgesstar

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:42 AM

Hey,

I'm curious about trying out my microscope EPs with my telescope and vice versa. 

I found a 23mm to 32mm adapter on Ebay. So hopefully I'll be able to use my 1.25" telescope EPs on my microscope. 

But what about using my microscope EPs with my telescope?

I have a Swift SW380T microscope with the stock EPs which I believe are .9"

https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B07N7TPSP7

10x and 25x sets. I understand the microscope EPs might not translate well to telescope optics but I'm still curious to try it. 

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. 

CS

P.S. I apologize if this is in the wrong subforum.

#2 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:48 AM

I'm fairly sure the adapters exist, though I don't know the particulars.  Optically, microscope eyepieces often work very well with telescopes, provided they are not the "compensating" (C or K) kind.  Those have chromatic aberration of their own in order to make up for that of the objective.  Even those often work surprisingly well with low-end refractors.

• iseegeorgesstar likes this

#3 jwisn2

jwisn2

Lift Off

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:52 AM

Agena Astro has such adapters.

Cheers,

Jan

#4 Couder

Couder

Viking 1

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:11 AM

You may find there is not enough "in focus" travel to get the telescope eyepieces to come to focus, depending on your microscope. Before buying an adapter, you can try by simply holding a scope eyepiece close to the barrel on the microscope and see if you can focus. (be careful not to touch the metal barrel rim on the glass of your eyepiece).

#5 iseegeorgesstar

iseegeorgesstar

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:13 PM

@Michael Thank you. I was wondering about their usability as I had read some microscope EPs are for imaging or a projective image or something like that. Hence my confusion.

@jwisn I've searched several times at agena and don't see anything. I emailed them now since you mention it's there.

@Couder that's really good to know. Thank you. I already ordered the 23mm to 32mm adapter so I guess I'm out $10 bucks if it doesn't work. 

Thanks for all the replies.

#6 jwisn2

jwisn2

Lift Off

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:35 PM

Generally, microscope eyepieces will work on telescope as long as you have some in-travel. Their focal plane is ahead of flange and the adapter will shioft the out a little bit.

Telescope objectives working on the microscope is a different story - depends on the design...

Good luck,

Jan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics