•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

MB II and Naglers ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Barrington, Illinois (60010)

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:46 AM

I have only had one BV (Celestron) an found it very disappointing. So I am thinking of trying the MB II to go with my C-8/E and Esprit 120. I already have 2, T-2 prism diagonals. As I have some Naglers (7,9,16, 22) I was wondering if one of use had any experience with this combination.

I was thinking of getting another 16mm to use/start with.

#2 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • Loc: Umag, Croatia, Europe

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:12 AM

Naglers 16mm T5 are my favorite Naglers, and I love them a lot.
I only wish they have bit more eye releaf, but contrast and sharpness are excellent, and very compact size!

I like all other Naglers T6 in binoviewers as well.

Kind regards
Denis

#3 Kutno

Kutno

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:17 AM

Have had wonderful experience with 16mm Type 5 Naglers in a Tele Vue Bino Vue, with a 10" f/5 Teeter Dob.

#4 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:59 PM

I have a pair of 16T5's and some T6's. They're great in my Mk V's. Back focus requirements are no different from the 24Pan or many Plossls.

Since the MB2 uses the same (or very similar) ClickLock collet as the Mk V, their undercuts won't matter.

All that said, do you really want  / need 82o? (My) Binocular vision seems to max out around 65o.

#5 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Barrington, Illinois (60010)

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:12 PM

I really haven't decided on the plan for ep's yet. It was only that I already have the Naglers and therefore only need to buy the one. I have considered a pair of Panoptics (19mm?). $ is not the concern here.

#6 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:34 PM

I have only had one BV (Celestron) an found it very disappointing. So I am thinking of trying the MB II to go with my C-8/E and Esprit 120. I already have 2, T-2 prism diagonals. As I have some Naglers (7,9,16, 22) I was wondering if one of use had any experience with this combination.

I was thinking of getting another 16mm to use/start with.

First of all, if the first experience was disappointing, it might be better to kind of explain what was disappointing about it.

But that is neither here nor there to your question.

Nalgers can work well, but if it is an eyepiece that requires you to tilt your head to take in the whole field, it will probably not prove satisfactory for binoviewing.  When you turn your head to one side of the other to see the edge of the field in an eyepiece you IPD changes and this will usually cause you to loose the exit pupil in the other eyepiece.

If on the other hand you can take in the entire field without having to move your head from side to side, this it should work Ok.  Since this is a function of both the observer and the each specific eyepiece it would be hard to tell you that it is going to work great. 

• noisejammer likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics