•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

is this scope worth it?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 humma kavula

humma kavula

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: cape coral florida

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:51 AM

i found a meade telescope i believe its a 4" to 4.5" ota (maybe a 4504?) the tripod is worn so no adjustments can be made. also im not seeing any ep's in the photos. im gonna post a pic. ive been trying to upload pics here but it doesnt seem to work maybe because im new. 

im asking if its worth 20 bucks or if the scope isnt really worth it since its pretty outdated. i own a 130 slt and im happy but im also becoming addicted. laugh.gif

Edited by humma kavula, 20 October 2020 - 08:53 AM.

#2 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:56 AM

Heya,

If you have a 130mm SLT and you're happy with it, don't waste your money on some nasty condition smaller aperture scope, it's a Meade, it's mass-manufactured, nothing special, not a premium version. Put $20 towards a dark sky and see a real improvement.

What do you like to observe most from your location? Save pennies towards something that will support what you like best. Don't just look for spider-web covered deals on the web unless you enjoy rescue jobs for the fun of it.

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 20 October 2020 - 09:09 AM.

• jim kuhns, ShaulaB and havasman like this

#3 humma kavula

humma kavula

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:11 AM

meadescope1.jpg meadescope1.jpg hello, well its in like new condition as far as the everything except the tripod. the knobs to sinch it keeps spinning. but everything else looks like it was pulled out of the box. I would show pics but for some reason my pics dont come up when i upload here. ill try again. 

i guess, even if its in like new (ota) condition, should i still pass up on it? i believe i should but 20 bucks its tempting lol

Attached Thumbnails

• meade3.jpg
  • meadeeq2.jpg

• Bomber Bob likes this

#4 j-d-b

j-d-b

Lift Off

• Loc: Portland, ME

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:26 AM

Hi,

I have nearly the same scope that I got used for cheap years ago as my first scope. I believe it's a 4.5" f/8. I since built a dobsonian mount for it (just for the fun of the project) and replaced the useless finder with a red dot. I found it to have sharp optics but I do not use it over my other scopes (10" dob, C6) and left it with my father so that I can use it with him when I go to visit. However as you have a 130mm reflector I don't see any benefit to owning this scope as well. I'd put that money towards eyepieces. Or you could buy it and give it to a friend...

Here's mine

rZQnOHh.jpg

Jacob

Edited by j-d-b, 20 October 2020 - 09:27 AM.

• Bill Jensen, icomet, planet earth and 4 others like this

#5 AstroPotamus

AstroPotamus

Mariner 2

• Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:31 AM

I think $20 is always worth it for any scope that doesn't have busted mirrors/broken glass/etc.  If nothing else, donate it to a library or a school or a youth group or whatever.  Spread the love.

• Jon Isaacs, ShaulaB, stargazer193857 and 1 other like this

#6 humma kavula

humma kavula

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:31 AM

Thank you. I’ll definitely save that towards better stuff for my 130 🙂 I like what you did there.

#7 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:50 AM

I have that Meade, 114mm F8. It's a real scope. The mount is trash, literally, that scope is too much for that mount even on a good day. You'd have to re-mount it. That would require new rings to accomodate a new dovetail that will work with a standard vixen dovetail based saddle on a new mount. And of course, a new mount. Or, best way, is to customize a dobsonian base for it with some plywood. It would be a rescue job. That assumes the mirror's coatings are still any good. Optically as its a long F8 mirror, it will be fine and easy to collimate. If you wanted to build a fleet of cheap small scopes for outreach, then sure, go for it, for $20. Just know you have to re-mount it to be truly usable.

Very best,

#8 humma kavula

humma kavula

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:58 AM

i was thinking... can i mount this ota on my 130 slt mount?

#9 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:07 AM

i was thinking... can i mount this ota on my 130 slt mount?

It will struggle with the moment arm of the physically long tube and its heavier on one side than the other so it will not be center balanced so it will also have limited range up/down.

Unless you want to build a dob mount and/or spend significant money to alt/az mount it on something significantly better, you'd be better off passing on it. It's $20 for a reason. Not because it's a great deal.

Very best,

#10 humma kavula

humma kavula

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:38 PM

well, ill leave it for someone else to purchase and make real good use of it. thanks a lot!

#11 RobertMaples

RobertMaples

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 20 October 2020 - 01:49 PM

I have that Meade, 114mm F8. It's a real scope. The mount is trash, literally, that scope is too much for that mount even on a good day. You'd have to re-mount it. That would require new rings to accomodate a new dovetail that will work with a standard vixen dovetail based saddle on a new mount. And of course, a new mount. Or, best way, is to customize a dobsonian base for it with some plywood. It would be a rescue job. That assumes the mirror's coatings are still any good. Optically as its a long F8 mirror, it will be fine and easy to collimate. If you wanted to build a fleet of cheap small scopes for outreach, then sure, go for it, for $20. Just know you have to re-mount it to be truly usable.

Very best,

I've also got that combination and as long as everything is tight on the mount I find it quite adequate.

i found a meade telescope i believe its a 4" to 4.5" ota (maybe a 4504?) the tripod is worn so no adjustments can be made. also im not seeing any ep's in the photos. im gonna post a pic. ive been trying to upload pics here but it doesnt seem to work maybe because im new. 

im asking if its worth 20 bucks or if the scope isnt really worth it since its pretty outdated. i own a 130 slt and im happy but im also becoming addicted. laugh.gif

$20?  As long as the mirrors are in good shape I'd buy it in a heartbeat. 

Do you know if the mirror in your 130 slt is parabolic or spherical?  I have seen reports that it may be spherical but have not seen anyone confirm it.  If it is, that Meade may actually perform better at high magnification than the 130 slt.  The Meade is definitely spherical, but it has a long enough focal length for it's aperture that it doesn't matter.

If the problem with the mount is the slow-motion controls don't work, it's likely an easy fix (the mesh between the worm gears and spur gears is adjustable and they may have just been knocked out of adjustment).

If you decide you really have no use for it you can easily get your money back, shoot, the mirror set alone is worth more than $20: https://www.ebay.com...QwAAOSwAbBe6-fw

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#12 humma kavula

humma kavula

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:29 PM

i went to go look at it. holy moly its like brand new. its as if the mount isnt original with the ota. i told him i will think about it. smile.gif

#13 AstroPotamus

AstroPotamus

Mariner 2

Posted 20 October 2020 - 03:33 PM

As I said before:

I think $20 is always worth it for any scope that doesn't have busted mirrors/broken glass/etc. If nothing else, donate it to a library or a school or a youth group or whatever. Spread the love.
  • j-d-b likes this

#14 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 20 October 2020 - 03:43 PM

i went to go look at it. holy moly its like brand new. its as if the mount isnt original with the ota. i told him i will think about it. smile.gif

At $20, if you like tinkering with things, it’s a pretty good buy. Agena has replacement slow-motion knobs. I believe you can set that mount up in Alt/Az mode.

• Jon Isaacs and Pinbout like this

#15 sunrag

sunrag

Messenger

• Loc: Carmel, Indiana

Posted 20 October 2020 - 03:49 PM

If you are into ATM this is a good buy. I have paid more than that just for parts to fix/make other telescopes. For instance i have bought two 4.5” reflectors with plans to combine into one binoscope!

#16 RobertMaples

RobertMaples

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 20 October 2020 - 03:57 PM

Well, from the pictures above the mount looks almost like brand new as well.  I doubt that it's worn out, as I said before, it probably just needs adjusting.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#17 Martin

Martin

Viking 1

• Loc: South Dakota

Posted 20 October 2020 - 04:15 PM

I had one of these back in the day and i really liked mine. Gave good images of the planets and deep space under dark skies. For 20.00 you cannot go wrong. Yes, mount was the weak part of the system but was still very usable. Mount can be tweaked a bit and regreased and it will work even better. I would buy one for 20.00, no problem. 

Martin 

#18 humma kavula

humma kavula

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 05:03 PM

i ended up passing on it. hopefully someone will pick it up and become involved. who knows we might see him/her heregrin.gif

thanks for all the opinions expressed here. 

#19 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:06 PM

i ended up passing on it. hopefully someone will pick it up and become involved. who knows we might see him/her heregrin.gif

thanks for all the opinions expressed here. 

I'd buy it just for the experience.  The mount is adequate though not optimal.  A 4.5 inch F/8 has a large coma free region and is quite sharp across the field even with basic eyepieces.

I've had a few of these. 

Jon

• planet earth and stargazer193857 like this

#20 planet earth

planet earth

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Ontario Canada

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:03 AM

Picked up two a few years ago like new $25.00 and $30.00.

One is a Tasco the other a Bushnell, both 900mm fl.

Some peoples Christmas presents that didn't get used.

They easily handle X150 and you get a pretty wide field with a 32mm X28

Mount is poor, even shakes when you focus.

I adapted mine to a pipe mount. (although I like the Dob posted above.)

Aluminizing mint condition.

They Cool pretty quick.

Great grab and go.

• Jon Isaacs and stargazer193857 like this

#21 AstroPotamus

AstroPotamus

Mariner 2

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:03 AM

Do you know if the mirror in your 130 slt is parabolic or spherical?  I have seen reports that it may be spherical but have not seen anyone confirm it.  If it is, that Meade may actually perform better at high magnification than the 130 slt.  The Meade is definitely spherical, but it has a long enough focal length for it's aperture that it doesn't matter.

I've got the 130SLT and while I cannot find anything in the docs that say it is parabolic, a couple of review sites claim it is.  Honestly, I think it's a great little 5" Newt for the price, and since I got mine new at auction, it was even cheaper.  The mount arm is perfect for that scope.  Don't try anything else on it - especially nothing longer that doesn't balance perfectly in the middle, or else you'll be cursing the fact that you can't adjust DEC tension.

Before I got my EQ6R Pro, but just after I got my Evostar 100ED APO doublet, I had to try the APO on _something_, so I jerry rigged it on the SLT mount.  It worked, and even tracked, but every time I changed EPs or focus, it would slowly pitch up or down.

#22 ed_turco

ed_turco

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:32 AM

That telescope is worth the $20 just for parts.   Fixed up, it would be great deal as a scope for a young person, a beginner.

• planet earth and stargazer193857 like this

#23 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Voyager 1

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:10 AM

I once owned the alt az version of the scope. I drilled a third side hole on each side equal distant behind the first two, removed the fine alt bar, moved the scope forward in the yoke, and had friction slew.

Great grab n go, but shook during focus, and not as bright as I wanted. Wonderful scope. I gave it to a friend.

I also got a 130 mm f5 eq once. Way heavy. Sold the eq on cloudynights for $100 shipped. Kept the OTA. Made a minidob mount for the OTA. Saw coma for the first time. Gave the scope to a different friend.

8" and 6" cost a lot more but give better planetary views. Actually everything better, but the view improvement only scales with weight.

6" is the most my tendons can handle right now.

You can buy a 114mm mirror see for $30 shipped and build a minidob around it, or pay $200 for the Orion 4.5 xt. Best ATM idea ever.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics