•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Buying a refractor from an off-shore dealer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BigBanger

BigBanger

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:18 AM

Has anyone purchased or had any experience with an England-based retailer called Harrison Telescopes?

They seem to be one of a very few dealers stocking Altair refractors, a line I'm interested in for my next purchase.

Thanks!

#2 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:59 AM

Heya,

I haven't ordered from that store specifically, but I have ordered from teleskop-service (https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/) based out of Germany and shipped to me here in Florida. Several times. Big scopes. And it's been a good experience each time so far, fast shipping, reasonable prices, good quality stuff. Whatever Altair refractor you're looking at (they're all clones anyways) can be found there under T.S. photoline probably, same thing with different paintjob and name.

Very best,

#3 BigBanger

BigBanger

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:26 AM

Thanks MalVeauX,

I too have ordered from TE with good results. I'm looking at the Altair Wave series as they re-shape the objective and perform and provide final test results; very similar to Stellarvue but at about 70% of the cost.

#4 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:57 AM

Has anyone purchased or had any experience with an England-based retailer called Harrison Telescopes?

They seem to be one of a very few dealers stocking Altair refractors, a line I'm interested in for my next purchase.

Thanks!

Check out Ontario Telescopes up here in Canada they sell Altair scopes as well ! And the exchange rate is about 35 cents on the C $, thats a big bonus !

Edited by LDW47, 20 October 2020 - 11:00 AM.

#5 chakel

chakel

Vostok 1

• Loc: No. CA

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:05 PM

A UK-based dealer, First Light Optics (www.firstlightoptics.com) may be able to assist you as well.

#6 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:59 PM

Harrison Telescopes is a CN member I believe.

The Altair web site lists US & Canadian sellers.

#7 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:33 PM

Thanks MalVeauX,

I too have ordered from TE with good results. I'm looking at the Altair Wave series as they re-shape the objective and perform and provide final test results; very similar to Stellarvue but at about 70% of the cost.

"...reshape the objective..."  I doubt it.

Dom Q.

#8 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:40 PM

I ordered my Starwave 152 RFT (red tube)  directly from Altair.  Ordered it on Tuesday and received it on Friday the same week.   Nicely packaged and perfectly collimated right out of the box.  

Dom Q.

• 25585 likes this

#9 alan.dang

alan.dang

Ranger 4

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:24 PM

"...reshape the objective..." I doubt it.

Dom Q.

I did some reading. It sounds like they re-collimate and rotate elements as needed.

Agree that reshaping the objective is unlikely. There is speculation that the AP92 has some 3rd party optics involved based upon the loss of “USA” on the front ring and different AR coating.

There is a good post on the APUG groups.io that emphasizes that glass is the most important cost followed by attention to the figure and alignment.

Edited by alan.dang, 21 October 2020 - 08:52 AM.

• 25585 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics