•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I need things to put my things in

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 AstroPotamus

AstroPotamus

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:42 AM

So what started out as a classic C8 with a clock drive, wedge, tripod, two EPs and a barlow has become all that plus SolarMax II DST, 130SLT, 4SE, 100ED, and 20x80 binocs.  A 6EQR was added recently (which I'm in love with), plus...um, I have no idea how many EPs, barlows, finders, diagonals, bars, bolts, boxes, and bric-a-brac that needs to go somewhere.  Honestly, right now, most of it lives in the trunk or a box of a car in the driveway that was sidelined as part of pandemic lockdowns.  That is not sustainable (nor, ultimately, secure).

Besides raiding Harbor Freight for a bunch of Apache boxes, what do y'all use to store stuff?  The C8 comes in its steamer-trunk style box and the 100ED has its own case, but everything else, including a bunch of tripods I use for my Star Adventurer and for mounting the nocs, literally lives in the car in cardboard or stacked "pretty well."  I'm scared that someday it will all disappear or at least fall over and damage something.

Helpful suggestions, anyone?

#2 Mike G.

Mike G.

Vanguard

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:51 AM

I have commandeered a spare bedroom when my stepdaughter finally left the nest.  then I added a table and a cabinet after filling the closet.  then I added another cabinet, then another.  then I bought a big free standing cabinet in the basement.  and it's still a problem to walk through the room.

#3 wrvond

wrvond

Vanguard

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:51 AM

All my scopes with mounts and parallelogram with binoculars are assembled and stand in my telescope room. When I travel to a dark sky site, I lay the scopes on the bed of my travel trailer and the mounts/tripods on the sofa.

"Stuff" goes in plastic totes ranging from "big" to "shoe box" size so everything is grouped together. These totes are on plastic shelves from Lowe's down in the basement. 

I have a folding table I use as a work bench in the telescope room when I want to work on something.

Alternatively, the dining room table is a handy surface to work on as well.

#4 AstroPotamus

AstroPotamus

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:54 AM

Let's assume I do not have a basement (which I don't) nor an attic (which I don't) nor a truck nor a trailer (both of which - you guessed it - I don't have) nor any spare space that can be converted into my "space room."  Everything will be stored outside in a barn.  The problem is how to keep mice out of stuff.  Or bats.  Or the occasional weasel.

So I'm mainly interested in what people use to put scopes in when they're not using scopes.  Bins, boxes, bags, that sort of thing.  I'd like hard sided stuff so thing can't chew through it.

#5 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:55 AM

I found one of the storage box that was around a meter long, all come with a clip on lid. They do smaller "under bed" ones, just unsure of the name for them in the US. All my bits live in that. Could get 2 and then stack one on the other. Semi clear so can get an idea of what is in the thing - although I just have the one. Just getting full now, same things as you likely have.

Main aspect is I have a good idea where everything is or should be.

Scopes live in their own boxes or cases usually on top of the storage box thing.

#6 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:59 AM

Your last post appeared: For scope storage as described I think you will have to build yourself a suitable wooden box or two with cut outs lined to sit the scopes on.

You will still get temperature changes and so varying moisture levels.

Could do the scope stand aspect first, wooden frame then box that in.

#7 AstroPotamus

AstroPotamus

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:03 AM

Thanks.  I may just buy another car and keep everything as is.  :-)

#8 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:07 AM

You wrote in part:

"Everything will be stored outside in a barn.  The problem is how to keep mice out of stuff.  "

Solution:

Attached Thumbnails

• Can.jpg

• Steve C., krahling and AstroPotamus like this

#9 AstroPotamus

AstroPotamus

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:10 AM

Don't know if you were trying to be cute or not, but that is a most excellent idea, actually!

[Edited typo]

Edited by astropotamus, 21 October 2020 - 07:07 AM.

• rowdy388 likes this

#10 Napp

Napp

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:22 AM

I mostly observe at remote sites.  So organization and protection are my two big requirements.  I raided Harbor Freight for various Apache cases.  If I am transporting and using a particular scope I know which cases to load in my truck.  Since I’m only loading a few cases and not a bunch of things I don’t forget things.  Empty slots mean something is missing.  Very helpful when packing up at the end of a session.

For tripods I just roll them up in a blanket or just lay them in the truck.  Too bulky for a case.

#11 Arthur NY

Arthur NY

Vostok 1

• Loc: Metro NY

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:26 AM

Apache cases for smaller stuff, plastic bins for larger. My largest "case" is a Home Cheapo Husky contractor wheeled plastic cart. I keep my 8" CPC in there for storage. For actual travel, I take it out and it rides as a passenger in the car, belt and all.

#12 AstroPotamus

AstroPotamus

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:29 AM

I've transported the EQ6R Pro on the passenger seat and the car whines at me that the seatbelt isn't connected.  I guess it's heavy enough to trip the sensor. :-)

#13 Napp

Napp

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:48 AM

I've transported the EQ6R Pro on the passenger seat and the car whines at me that the seatbelt isn't connected.  I guess it's heavy enough to trip the sensor. :-)

Just buckle the seatbelt.

• izar187 likes this

#14 AstroPotamus

AstroPotamus

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:01 AM

I did.  I just thought it was funny that it yelled at me for not doing so.

• izar187 and Napp like this

#15 SkippyMcSkipperson

SkippyMcSkipperson

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Troy, Illinois

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:41 AM

Apache cases for smaller stuff, plastic bins for larger. My largest "case" is a Home Cheapo Husky contractor wheeled plastic cart. I keep my 8" CPC in there for storage. For actual travel, I take it out and it rides as a passenger in the car, belt and all.

That Husky rolling cart, is perfect for an EQ6R Pro.  The original foam fits inside it just fine.

#16 AstroPotamus

AstroPotamus

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:47 AM

Thanks for the tip. Will stop at the Depot after work!

#17 randcpoll

randcpoll

Ranger 4

• Loc: New York

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:25 PM

I generally prefer soft cases, except for small eyepiece and accessory cases, since they are easier to manage both in storage and in a vehicle for me.

For my C8 OTA I use a Gator Double Pedal bag (I think it's GP-66). It fits just just right and has a wonder velour interior and an external pocket for accessories. Now that I've added the Celestron motorized focuser the focuser peaks out of the end, but it still works.

For my Star Adventurer I use a Lowepro Nova 2 bag. It is perfect for the mount since the bulk of the mount fits perfectly in the main compartment. The polar light and some small accessories fit in the front pocket, and the counterweight and bar fit nicely in the loops on the back as the photos show. It's a perfect small package.

For my AVX mount I found a heavily padded custom bag someone developed for a sales project that also fits perfectly. However, that's not useful for others.

But I have used a smaller-sized gym bag for similar mounts in the past. These are also about the right size. The head fits in the main compartment, the counterweight bar, hand control, and power supply fit in the inside pockets, and the weight(s) fit in the end pockets.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8304.JPG
  • IMG_8305.JPG
  • IMG_8306.JPG
  • IMG_8307.JPG
  • IMG_8308.JPG

#18 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:36 PM

Let's assume I do not have a basement (which I don't) nor an attic (which I don't) nor a truck nor a trailer (both of which - you guessed it - I don't have) nor any spare space that can be converted into my "space room."  Everything will be stored outside in a barn.  The problem is how to keep mice out of stuff.  Or bats.  Or the occasional weasel.

So I'm mainly interested in what people use to put scopes in when they're not using scopes.  Bins, boxes, bags, that sort of thing.  I'd like hard sided stuff so thing can't chew through it.

To keep stuff in storage outside in a barn protected from critters, I'd suggest something like the 27 gallon Greenmade heavy plastic storage bins. The lid seals very securely and they are robust. They are big enough for a few items, but probably not for a tripod.

#19 randcpoll

randcpoll

Ranger 4

• Loc: New York

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:38 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that the large number of "other" accessories just go in a very sturdy beach bag! crazy.gif

#20 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 20 October 2020 - 01:16 PM

Dead serious...

Around here, mice, chipmunks, spiders, etc,  will "eat" or "sneak"  into most "plastic /wood" type storage containers or closets. 

Must be the water...lol.gif

You can place those Harbor Freight Apache cases with Desiccant packets inside the "metal" cans, ready to go whenever you are going to a dark site.

Place a 10  drops of Peppermint Essential Oil into a 5 oz spray bottle and spray the cans on the outside, spiders hate the aroma of Peppermint.

Don't know if you were trying to be cute or note, but that is a most excellent idea, actually!

#21 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:56 PM

Lots of different storage type things can be found at your local thriftstore for pennies on the dollar.,Old suitcases come to mind.,good luck.,I took over the porch.,lol.,

#22 AstroPotamus

AstroPotamus

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:07 AM

The thrift store is where most of my telescopes have come from.  :-)  I have six scopes, only one of which was purchased new, and that was a cheap 4" tabletop Dob I got for my wife for the 2017 eclipse (which is where my profile pic comes from).  I did consider suitcases, but pandemic being what it is, I've been looking online mainly, and it's tough to gauge "ickiness" from an auction posting.

• clearwaterdave likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics