•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CELESTRON 25 X 70MM SKYMASTER

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 alder1

alder1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:44 AM

Hi all. I’m thinking of getting a pair of binoculars to fit between my 10x50’s and my 25x100’s. The Celestron 25x70’s are just right size-wise. And the price is amazing! Anyone out there have a pair? What do you think? Too good to be true?

Thanks!

#2 Cestus

Cestus

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:46 AM

I don't have them, but others have stated that they have quality control issues.

#3 ihf

ihf

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:58 AM

In a geometric progression 16x70s would fit precisely between 10x50 and 25x100 giving you an intermediate perspective with similar exit pupils. Not sure what you would expect from 25x70, they would be redundant with the 25x100 (just dimmer, still need tripod).

#4 LIVE LONG

LIVE LONG

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:18 AM

You will have an exit pupil of 2.8. Make sure that is not too dim for your viewing.

As already stated, Celestron has a reputation for poor quality control, for their bino's.

You get what you pay for!!!

Clear Skies!

• SonnyE likes this

#5 Antonio R.G

Antonio R.G

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:23 AM

I'm agree too. More natural step will be 15x70. I have Celestron Skymaster 12x60 and 15x70. I bought 12x60 from second hand very, very cheap and if it is ok, it can give a good image quality, you could try it. My Skymaster 15x70 was different, I received it lightly discolimated (as a lot of people) although I'd could to fix it. I think small problems with collimation can be more evident with more magnification. This cheap series of Celestron have too much problem with quality control, this is a "lottery" to find one in perfect shape. In whatever way if you can find a Celestron 15x70 well collimated and if you aren't very demanding you can be happy with it.

#6 Allanbarth1

Allanbarth1

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:30 AM

I don't have the 25 x70's but do have a pair of the Skymasters 15x70. I've had them for almost 4 years now and they are still like the day I got them. I like them a lot with no plans of getting rid or them.

When I got them there was a lot of folks that were receiving them (actually any of the Skymaster binos had quality control problems) with collimation problems. Mine were a good pair. I don't know it this issue was resolved, but it's something for you to look into if you decide to go with them. 

I'm happy with mine. The cost was great and I have no complaints about the performance. Just look into the issue I mentioned as that was the problem that the Skymster line had.

Hope this can help you some in your decision. 

• Sarkikos likes this

#7 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:01 AM

If and its a big if you get a pair that mechanically and more importantly optically usable then they can offer enjoyment, however most people including myself have had to return them and in some cases several pairs for issues, my own feelings?, never again.Dave.

• hallelujah and jcj380 like this

#8 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:09 AM

The 15x70 Skymaster is delicate and has a long record of having a higher likelihood of arriving out of collimation or easily losing collimation than many binoculars.  You're only increasing the odds of misalignment at 25x.  Higher magnification and the chance of misalignment go hand in hand.

There are a number of better options in a 70mm bino but none are at such a low price point as the Skymasters.  Low price and high quality usually have an inverse relationship; know what you're getting yourself into before you buy.

Rich

• hallelujah, Binojunky, Pinac and 1 other like this

#9 alder1

alder1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:37 AM

Whoops! My mistake here. As Vostok pointed out, the natural mid range bino is 15x70, which is what I’m interested in. (This kind of error seems more frequent now that I’m in my 7th decade. :-) At least I didn’t buy it!) Anyhow, lots of good information anyhow. Can anyone suggest a good 15x70 at a reasonable price? 
Thanks again

#10 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:25 PM

Whoops! My mistake here. As Vostok pointed out, the natural mid range bino is 15x70, which is what I’m interested in. (This kind of error seems more frequent now that I’m in my 7th decade. :-) At least I didn’t buy it!) Anyhow, lots of good information anyhow. Can anyone suggest a good 15x70 at a reasonable price? 
Thanks again

For a reasonable price, this is a good option

https://www.firstlig...binoculars.html

I have them and i am very satisfied, long eye relief, nitrogen filled, effective 70 mm aperture.

Carlos

• jcj380 likes this

#11 Cestus

Cestus

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 October 2020 - 01:18 PM

Oberwerk Deluxe are good. You could also consider the APM model.

#12 publin

publin

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:52 AM

Hi all. I’m thinking of getting a pair of binoculars to fit between my 10x50’s and my 25x100’s. The Celestron 25x70’s are just right size-wise. And the price is amazing! Anyone out there have a pair? What do you think? Too good to be true?

Thanks!if

if  you have  the  celestron 25x100    what  you  expecting   from  25x70  much more dimmer  view  and   the same magnification!  so  your  solution is  the 15x70   but  you  can  choose  better  then  the  celestrone   low quality  and  collimation common  problems comparison   to   HELIOS  or OBERWERK  or   ORION   best  brunds  with  good optical quality  and  less or  no  collimation  problems!    -  publin

#13 Chuck2

Chuck2

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago, IL

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:45 PM

I received a Celestron 25x70mm Bino from United Airlines as a mileage gift, over 10 years ago. At the same time, I purchased a hard plastic shell case from Oberwerk to protect them from occasional bumps that could knock them out of alignment.

For the price, Celestron's 25x70's are obviously not the same optical or physical build quality as my 7x50mm Nikon's or Oberwerk 20x80mm Deluxe III. However, considering the 25x70's higher magnification, the images are surprisingly sharp and contrasty with very little CA. The lightweight 25x70's are not for wide sweeping views of the Milky Way, but the pure fun of tracking Jupiter's moons, deeper views of lunar craters, resolving more stars in the Double Cluster, viewing of wildlife at Yellowstone Ntl Park, and fitted with solar filters, spotting sun spots!

These are also not that delicate. I have shared my Celestron 25x70mm binos with club members and the general public at Astronomy Day, STEM events and star parties for a decade without issues (and no worries because of $70 value). They only needed to be recollimated every few years. I invested an hour to learn how to collimate binos, it's part of the astro hobby and it's relatively easy to do with a jewelers screwdriver and these instructions from Oberwerk...

https://oberwerk.com...mariner-series/

For a $70 bargain, and the occasional conditional collimation, they will bring years of fun!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• ihf likes this

#14 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 27 October 2020 - 06:32 PM

Bought the 15 x 70's thinking if they where poor I'd send them back.  Tweaked the collimation a little to make them perfect (easy easy easy !!!).  I use them om my zero gravity chair and they make the Milky Way scanning a joy.  Love them !  At the price point they are amazing. 

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#15 alder1

alder1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:54 PM

Thanks for the link to the article on collimation. I suspect my 25x100’s could use a tweak. 

#16 Chuck2

Chuck2

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 October 2020 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for the link to the article on collimation. I suspect my 25x100’s could use a tweak. 

There are multipe ways to collimate binos, based on the design and construction. Oberwerk not only sells and services the best binoculars, they also provide instructions on how to maintain them...

https://oberwerk.com...lar-telescopes/

https://oberwerk.com...d-ultra-series/

https://oberwerk.com...-the-xl-series/

#17 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 28 October 2020 - 01:02 PM

You will have an exit pupil of 2.8. Make sure that is not too dim for your viewing.

As already stated, Celestron has a reputation for poor quality control, for their bino's.

You get what you pay for!!!

Clear Skies!

In my case, I think I got less than I paid for.

I know better, but sometimes I get so impulsive. gaah.gif

#18 Chuck2

Chuck2

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:31 AM

In my case, I think I got less than I paid for.

I know better, but sometimes I get so impulsive.

What are your issues? If collimation, follow the instructions below and watch the 'how to' videos. In less than an hour you'll be happy! waytogo.gif

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=2DQgMtCRmtE

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=XyVzYpTYWM0

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=kygO9VhKxIM

Edited by Chuck2, 29 October 2020 - 11:32 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics