•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saturn System Video

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rehling

rehling

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:14 AM

Here is 100 minutes of moon revolution with one frame every 10 minutes.

Saturn is, obviously, very overexposed. Easy to see: Tethys (lower right), Dione (left), Rhea (upper left), and Titan (very bright, upper right). A couple of frames provide a glimpse of Enceladus more or less attached to the lower right of the Saturn blob.

This was taken on October 18 UTC 3:28 to 5:08. C9.25", ASI1600mm.

Webp.net-gifmaker-2.gif

• zjc26138, Magellanico, Kenny V. and 9 others like this

#2 skycamper

skycamper

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Beaverton OR

Posted 20 October 2020 - 01:30 PM

That is the coolest thing!!!! What kind of setting on the camera?   Did you have to process the individual frames much?  Need the juicy details buddy.

• rehling likes this

#3 rehling

rehling

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:00 PM

Thanks! No Barlow, no filter, ASI1600mm. 10 ms/frame, gain 480 (out of 600), 40 frames per shot, 40 darks. The only processing I did was to downscale each image 2x. As Saturn descended and my line of sight got close to a neighbor's roof, some noticeable worsening in the seeing occurred.

If I were to try again, I suppose I might try more frames at half the exposure time in order to get Enceladus to emerge from Saturn's glare. It's a bit of a mental grind to take a picture every ten minutes for almost two hours, as you can imagine. I kept popping inside to read a few pages before going back out for the next shot.

• skycamper likes this

#4 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:19 AM

Wow! Well done! I never would have guessed those moons would move that much during the period you animated over.
Cheers Paul

#5 rehling

rehling

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 12:23 PM

You're right, Paul. I actually did the math first to see how much Tethys would move and even though I knew the answer, it still looks like more than I expected. I've possibly never noticed Saturn's moons moving during any single night before, while I've certainly noticed Io and other Galileans moving. Io and Tethys actually have about the same orbital period, but Io is obviously far brighter, and the edge-on view we always have of the Jovian system means transits and eclipses that are hard to miss.

I did this with Uranus before, with 24 hours between frames, which makes the inner moons move frenetically while the outer two advance fairly smoothly. I'll repost that here as a reminder.

Uranus 201810 Sys.gif

• skycamper and Kiwi Paul like this

#6 skycamper

skycamper

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Beaverton OR

Posted 22 October 2020 - 12:49 PM

Wow, the Uranus GIF was also with your 9.25"  ?

#7 rehling

rehling

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:42 PM

Yes, that was one frame a night for 13 nights. On the one cloudy night that I couldn't snap a pic, I included the frame that shows the initials of the moons.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics