•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Over 170 Join SDAA Livestream Event from Mt Helix

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 garyhawkins

garyhawkins

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:06 PM

Our first 'official' SDAA EAA livestream proved a big hit last night as our club finally got our public outreach program up and running again -  https://youtu.be/cgfKyMQmAWM . We peaked at 173 concurrent streams so, in actuality, the viewing audience must have been well over 200.  Since the video published on YouTube 12 hours ago we've had nearly 3.4K views.  For those clubs looking to get your public outreach programs running again EAA livestreaming is a great way to go.  Thanks to the Mt Helix Park Foundation (https://www.mthelixpark.org/) for hosting us, and helping to advertise this event to the broader public audience.

The stream itself was a lot of fun.  It was great having a co-narrator, and we managed to cope with a whole host a problems.  I've never seen so much water on telescope and computer gear due to humidity, and the event was definitely saved by the timely arrival of a hairdryer!

Edited by garyhawkins, 20 October 2020 - 12:07 PM.

• Relativist, mikenoname, Alien Observatory and 3 others like this

#2 Sky King

Sky King

Vostok 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:22 PM

Way to go Gary and Dave! It reminds me of the saying, "Will those who say it can't be done, please get out of the way of those doing it." SDAA outreach has quite the long reach!

• Alien Observatory, cmooney91 and garyhawkins like this

#3 bouvier_1

bouvier_1

Vostok 1

• Loc: Sundre, Alberta

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:31 PM

Great for those of us needing/wanting to learn too!

I haven't had a clear night for weeks and it's been snowing the last 4 with several more in the forecast. 

Thanks again Gary, Dave and the entire SDAA

• Alien Observatory and garyhawkins like this

#4 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Apollo

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:42 PM

Gary, Very Good broadcast, largest viewing audience I have seen in years, tells me that EAA (with the Covid Restrictions) might get more interest from other Astronomy Clubs in the future...  Pat Utah :)

• garyhawkins likes this

#5 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 20 October 2020 - 12:53 PM

Wow, with over 3,400 youtube views in 12 hours, I wonder if we are going to see a big spike in people coming to CN and this forum? Everyone is welcome, and I hope some people find their way here, but 3,400 would be overwhelming.lol.gif

• Alien Observatory likes this

#6 SDProfX

SDProfX

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:26 PM

Last night on Mt. Helix was a real HOOT! Gary and I knew there would be challenges with network connectivity, site lines, power, and transporting equipment to an untested site. But "Murphy's Law" prevailed in spite of serious planning anyway. It was lessons learned for us, and a clear direction for improvement. We will have a post session review soon.

I would like to thank Gary for working diligently on his skills and techniques, and for nudging this ole' cynical outreach coordinator into some brave new world for traditional club events. This method of reaching public audiences will certainly take a front seat for a long while.

Dave

• mikenoname, Alien Observatory and garyhawkins like this

#7 mikenoname

mikenoname

Viking 1

• Loc: Death Valley Region (Bortle 2 - SQM 21.9+)

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:57 PM

As I said last night, Great Job Gary and Dave. You worked through the minefield with far more grace than I would have. LOL

Everyone really enjoyed what you showed them and I'm sure will be back for more!

• garyhawkins likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics