•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DSLR & telescope

beginner
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bbradford

bbradford

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:25 PM

Hi everyone.   I'm using a meade etx125 and nikon d300. When I look thru scope with 26 mm eyepiece without camera attached I see rings of Saturn great. The problem begin when I attach the camera.  I put on live view and I  see zero light on screen. I've tried all the settings i  can think to change and no results. Any ideas? Thanks Bryan      p.s. on this camera changing the iso does not show on screen in real time , you can only tell you changed iso after picture is taken.

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:28 PM

This really is not the right forum.. I will ask the moderator to move it.

#3 Starman27

Starman27

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:03 AM

Moving to B&II for a better fit.

#4 michael8554

michael8554

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 21 October 2020 - 11:09 AM

The ETX125 has a flip mirror built in, so no need to swap between DSLR and eyepiece..

Unscrew the cap on the ETX rear port and attach your DSLR with the necessary adapters, should look like this

https://www.amazon.c...X/dp/B00009V38M

And a T Adapter for Nikon cameras.

Focus the DSLR on the moon, then flip the mirror and insert an eyepiece in the top port. 

Don't alter the focus, instead move the eyepiece in and out of the port until the moon is in focus too.

Note the position of the eyepiece, make a mark, or use a Parfocal Ring, so that you can insert the eyepiece to the right depth every time.

• Chuckwagon likes this

#5 Eddie_42

Eddie_42

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:32 PM

Not having this scope, my only inference is from a google search. With the eyepiece port on the top, and the camera port in the rear, this is a different style from most other scopes that only have one view option at a time. The principle is the same though. The camera chip has to be the right distance from the license/mirror. Are you using the meade 64 t-adapter? It appears it can be two lengths, did you try both?

Have you tried taking a picture through the scope during the day? Something like a horse on a hill, or a cell tower. If there is an obstruction blocking light, it would be obvious in a daylight situation. Light from night objects can easily be lost if the optics are far out of focus.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics