•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

This hobby is too easy...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 stardustborn

stardustborn

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: LI, New York

Posted 20 October 2020 - 05:29 PM

You just throw together some scopes and motors and wires and point the camera up and take some pictures and then jam them into the latest greatest gee-whiz software which is easily mastered and never confusing and presto......amazing images of deep space objects.

The scope never slews toward the earth's core.  Nor does dew appear out of nowhere.  

Upgrading always goes smoothly and there is always a spare powered seven port USB hub with the USB 3.14...,to M/A/ ...W.T.H. adapter extension wire thingy to plug everything into.  And we know what it's called.  The scope starts to look a fusion reactor but hey, it's still pretty.  The coiled wires sort of look like Medusa's hair, which is nice.  Try not to look.

Everything just works, with little effort....... and the photos!  

I see them do it on Youtube all the time.

Maybe I need a YT channel.  

• Stelios, dswtan, Ishtim and 19 others like this

#2 imtl

imtl

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: On earth

Posted 20 October 2020 - 05:33 PM

Yep. That's exactly the description of the HST on NASA website. A pile of bolts and wires thrown into a large tin can and just aimed at the cosmos. lol.gif

HST in the making below

gobot.png

• Stelios, markb, dswtan and 6 others like this

#3 ponybird

ponybird

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 20 October 2020 - 05:47 PM

You just throw together some scopes and motors and wires and point the camera up and take some pictures and then jam them into the latest greatest gee-whiz software which is easily mastered and never confusing and presto......amazing images of deep space objects.

The scope never slews toward the earth's core.  Nor does dew appear out of nowhere.  

Upgrading always goes smoothly and there is always a spare powered seven port USB hub with the USB 3.14...,to M/A/ ...W.T.H. adapter extension wire thingy to plug everything into.  And we know what it's called.  The scope starts to look a fusion reactor but hey, it's still pretty.  The coiled wires sort of look like Medusa's hair, which is nice.  Try not to look.

funnypost.gif

#4 Djharutunian

Djharutunian

Sputnik

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 20 October 2020 - 05:48 PM

Works every time but I think you forgot every informational you tube video usually leaves out the most crucial detail that you happen to need

• Chunkles likes this

#5 bjulihn

bjulihn

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Langley, BC. Canada

Posted 20 October 2020 - 05:50 PM

And . . . figuring out the backfocus distance from the camera is self correcting every time!

Come to think of it, changing to a different imaging program never introduces an error in the mount's setting so that the mount thinks it's halfway around the other side of the world and can't find any stars in the entire sky. Boy, am I glad you reminded me how easy this is. I was starting to get discouraged that I had to plug in the power to make everything go!

• Swordfishy likes this

#6 dswtan

dswtan

Ranger 4

• Loc: Morgan Hill, CA

Posted 20 October 2020 - 05:51 PM

A wise person once said, "We choose to do astrophotography... Not because it is easy, but because it is hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win." bangbang.gif

• Astrola72, Deesk06, AtmosFearIC and 3 others like this

#7 chubster4

chubster4

Vostok 1

• Loc: Washington, D.C.

Posted 20 October 2020 - 05:51 PM

This could be proof of an alternate universe!

• B 26354 likes this

#8 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:04 PM

Also amazing how the clouds part just before the shutter opens, return after the final sub-frame, and then a deluge right after the dome shutters snap shut. We yawn of boredom, not exhaustion... and ask ourselves why we even bother to submit our fresh comet discovery to the authorities. Nature publishes our latest white-paper and the phone is ringing off the hook... from some bloke in Stockholm, wanting to hang heavy medals around our stout necks. We protest that we're not really into Classic Rock. Just another pleasant night of avocational astronomy. --- at least that's the way we imagine William, John, and Caroline would have put it...   Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 97 Caroline William and John Herschel 120.jpg

• sunnyday likes this

#9 idclimber

idclimber

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:04 PM

Yes this hobby is far too easy. It is far too easy to justify a bigger scope, the next greatest camera, a new mount, upgraded filters, a new computer, backup drives for my backup drives, oh don't forget a new observatory, a second home in Arizona..

So basically it gets hard when your bank account is empty?

• 17.5Dob, sunnyday, endlessky and 1 other like this

#10 litesong

litesong

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:30 PM

Yes, you are very write....I mean rite....I mean right....I think.....
What’s a DSLR?

#11 csauer52

csauer52

Messenger

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:37 PM

And you never have to hide the receipts of your latest purchases from the CFO of the house. 

• DaveB, Chunkles and sunnyday like this

#12 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:51 PM

it's so easy, that I leave it to others. wink.gif

that means you.waytogo.gif

• csauer52 likes this

#13 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:35 PM

I fondly recall the time my wife absolutely and seriously insisted that if I built the roads properly... that my hilltop observatory would be downhill both going to it from the house, and then returning. It falls in the same category that any household expense that I pay for is "free", and anything that she pays for is "too expensive". I tried to explain how that violates all sorts of laws, involving gravity, geometry, set theory, free lunches, monotonism, (a>b ^ b>a) = F, economics, etc. --- but she would have none of that theoretical malarkey! I built the two roads, one to the north and one to the south. She reluctantly blessed them as marginally-acceptable.    Tom

~click on~ >>>

Attached Thumbnails

• 98 Observatory Roads Paradox Coming and Going.jpg

• chubster4, Deesk06, idclimber and 5 others like this

#14 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:05 PM

I too agree this hobby is all too easy. My darksite chaufer does keep the wheels on our maybach nicely shined and the money trees are just spewing off $100 bills this time of year I buy so many things I dont need but whatever its always littering the backyard anyways.
  • Chunkles, Cfreerksen and sunnyday like this

#15 endlessky

endlessky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Padova, Italy

Posted 21 October 2020 - 04:19 AM

It's almost so easy that it makes me feel like giving up on it. I like challenges...

Where's the challenge when all the photos that basically capture and postprocess themselves, magically on their own, are all APOD quality, without user input?!

Might as well quit. It feels too much like cheating.

• SoDaKAstroNut likes this

#16 ShortLobster

ShortLobster

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stamford, CT, USA

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:13 AM

True, and it isn't expensive either!

#17 PederP

PederP

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denmark

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:44 AM

At least it's cheap..

• Chunkles, epdreher, Deesk06 and 2 others like this

#18 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:55 AM

My observing is flipping thru the pages of Astronomy Magazine... each time I flip a page, I log that as another successful image-capture, and scribble a few enthusiastic words in my Observing Log Book. "Andromeda Galaxy, well-resolved, good guiding. M32 and the fuzzy NGC one off to the side look especially good tonight. Reding lamp and eyeglasses help visibility. In the middle of my observation, a moth landed on M32."    Tom 

• Szumi, bjulihn and endlessky like this

#19 Andy Lucy

Andy Lucy

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: East Yorkshire

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:05 AM

What I really love is that if, by some rare mischance, a problem does arise then a question to the Cloudy Nights forum will rapidly resolve it.  All the contributors will draw on their own wisdom and unbiased experiences, deep insights will be concisely explained and a consensus way forward agreed.  What times we live in…

Andy

• NorthField and endlessky like this

#20 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

Posted 21 October 2020 - 02:22 PM

What I really love is that if, by some rare mischance, a problem does arise then a question to the Cloudy Nights forum will rapidly resolve it.  All the contributors will draw on their own wisdom and unbiased experiences, deep insights will be concisely explained and a consensus way forward agreed.  What times we live in…

Andy

Yeah... a Cloudy Camelot with no rain, impeccable observing conditions, and a helpful Einstein around every gravitational bend.    Tom

#21 acommonsoul

acommonsoul

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 October 2020 - 03:18 PM

Way too easy to justify spending your kid's college money on a new setup because he will probably not go to college anyway.

Edited by acommonsoul, 21 October 2020 - 03:19 PM.

• SoDaKAstroNut likes this

#22 chubster4

chubster4

Vostok 1

• Loc: Washington, D.C.

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:25 PM

I fondly recall the time my wife absolutely and seriously insisted that if I built the roads properly... that my hilltop observatory would be downhill both going to it from the house, and then returning. It falls in the same category that any household expense that I pay for is "free", and anything that she pays for is "too expensive". I tried to explain how that violates all sorts of laws, involving gravity, geometry, set theory, free lunches, monotonism, (a>b ^ b>a) = F, economics, etc. --- but she would have none of that theoretical malarkey! I built the two roads, one to the north and one to the south. She reluctantly blessed them as marginally-acceptable.    Tom

~click on~ >>>

Just take the uphill route backwards!

#23 SoDaKAstroNut

SoDaKAstroNut

Vostok 1

• Loc: Black Hills, South Dakota

Posted 29 October 2020 - 01:02 AM

And we are so blessed to have lots of bright street and property lights nearby to help illuminate the stars so they are even brighter and easier to focus on. Imagine how hard it is for those poor unfortunate souls, banished to distant dark locales, struggling to find those tiny dim stars among the immense darkness! We should pray for their astronomical suffering. Not like us blessed with the LED progress city/urban dwellers are blessed with.

• limeyx likes this

#24 stardustborn

stardustborn

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: LI, New York

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:51 AM

LOL, it looks like I hit a nerve with my OP.   But honestly, I don't think we would get as much satisfaction if it was all plug and play.  Overcoming the challenges is half the fun right?  RIght?  undecided.gif

But I was just getting to know NINA.  Starting to pat myself on the back ....and then made the mistake of loading the latest build.  The new sequencer confuses me, so I went back to the earlier build.  It's all a commie plot to keep me feeling dumb.

#25 mdavister

mdavister

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:18 AM

At least it's cheap..

And don't forget all of the equipment is rugged, light weight and compact.

• CCD-Freak and epdreher like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics