•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

46hrs Hubble Palette Eagle Nebula

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Narrowbandpaul

Narrowbandpaul

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Constrained by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:54 PM

Hi All

Finally the remote obs is running better in Southern Spain. Due to the wonders that is voyager and its dragscripts and also due to a superb 10micron mount. This replaced an unruly MX+

Here then is a hubble palette image of good ole M16. Its around 40-45hrs, I cant remeber the exact number. Taken from Bortle 2 ish skies...with dark skies and big pixels we get good data fast

5" refractor with PL16803 giving 3.2"/pix. Drizzle essential!

The processing took a while...trying to get colours looking OK.

I know my processing isnt yet good enough so some feedback welcome, and if you want the stacked images, pm me and you can tell me how to do it better!

Here is the AB link... get.jpg?insecure

The system will be replaced shortly with a 6" refractor and a QHY600....much better resolution!

Many more images are in the pipeline. A few in cyg, cep, per and gem....trying to get finished before iteration 5000 gets installed smile.gif

Thanks

Paul

Edited by Narrowbandpaul, 20 October 2020 - 07:41 PM.

• R Botero, PeteM, mrlovt and 7 others like this

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:59 PM

very nice , love the colors and details , thanks .

#3 BinoGuy

BinoGuy

Viking 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:07 PM

Really nice image, well done.  Amazing with a 5" scope.  Since you asked, do I detect redness in the stars?  Is this an artifact of using the Hubble Pallet? 

#4 Narrowbandpaul

Narrowbandpaul

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:11 PM

Really nice image, well done.  Amazing with a 5" scope.  Since you asked, do I detect redness in the stars?  Is this an artifact of using the Hubble Pallet? 

Thank you and yes....its a by product of stretching R and B a lot more than G. What is ended up doing is stretching the gas and stars seperately to minimise this issue. I dont have the data, nor skills to add RGB stars, but with the Starnet++ I think I could do it in future, and it will look better.

#5 Deesk06

Deesk06

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:26 PM

Very nice image! Just a little pointer, in Astrobin you can go to the "share" button on top(next to actions, edit and view). Then change the sharing mode from "simple link" to "forums". When you copy and paste that link into here it will post as a thumbnail embedded with a link to your image on Astrobin. 

• noodle and Narrowbandpaul like this

#6 csauer52

csauer52

Messenger

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:28 PM

Superb image, nicely done. Zooming in to the center gave me a 3D kind of feeling. Very deep!!

When you mention an unruly MX+, what was the issue? I'm using one now and would be interested in what to look for although I haven't had issues with mine. 

#7 Narrowbandpaul

Narrowbandpaul

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:42 PM

Very nice image! Just a little pointer, in Astrobin you can go to the "share" button on top(next to actions, edit and view). Then change the sharing mode from "simple link" to "forums". When you copy and paste that link into here it will post as a thumbnail embedded with a link to your image on Astrobin. 

new skill acquired. Thanks for letting me know

• Deesk06 likes this

#8 mrlovt

mrlovt

Mariner 2

• Loc: Smyrna, TN

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:16 PM

Gorgeous!  I think the color balance looks good.  Whatever time you put into the processing definitely shows.  Oh, to have those dark skies where I am!  

#9 mikeyL

mikeyL

Viking 1

• Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 20 October 2020 - 08:27 PM

That is a great result, but I am thinking that at 46 hours you are past the point of diminishing returns. I got an image of that area in about 13 hours that I was very happy with using a 4" refractor. Of course, a lot does depend on location. I was imaging from Green Valley, AZ. Not too bad there although Tucson is directly to the north. I do not know anything about your location.

In any case, that is a very fine result!

ML

#10 Narrowbandpaul

Narrowbandpaul

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:35 AM

Thanks everyone,

Yes at 40+ hrs it definitely is diminishing returns. What is amazing is despite all the integration time from excellent skies... the O3 and S2 is still so weak in places. There is no amount of integration that is too much it seems.

Also having the wide FOV means some very faint background stuff gets picked up in Ha and so you feel compelled to get a good SNR in the other filters to match it and that is not easy.

Paul

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics