•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

is the tri bahtinov mask the best way to collimate my Edge11

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 adamphillips

adamphillips

Messenger

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:10 PM

First my collimation seems fine, im sure its pretty good.

But if i can improve it i would like to.

I have used the out of focus star method and the big donut looked pretty perfect. I blew it up as big as i could on the screen and got my ruler out and i adjusted it just barely, hopefully improved it.

i saw somebody post some pics before and after with the tri mask and it looked pretty impressive. then i read that its better to collimate while its in focus rather than out of focus, and that makes sense to me.

Ive heard bad things about lasers so i dont even want to bother with that, sounds like they are not perfect.

#2 markb

markb

Apollo

• Loc: Arizona at last, goodbye NY. Light pollution still awful though

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:34 PM

Collimation, I'd go to an easy to make Duncan mask.

Read through 

https://www.cloudyni...ation-question/

And 

https://www.cloudyni...w-to-collimate/

I was working through trying Duncan Masks through these threads, sorry if they wander.

I just banged out a fast mask and finalized collimation of my GPS11 despite poor atmospherics. I'll check it when I get a good night, but all of my star collimated refractors matched the subsequent Duncan mask collimation checks.

This is the first method I've used that shows the extreme sensitivity of collimation to small screw adjustments, plus it works in non optimal conditions, and, importantly, in daytime on a 3/8" chrome ball bearing in the Sun artificial star.

Ordinary lasers simply don't work on SCTs. They might be used to replicate a prior collimation, but the Duncan mask accuracy blows even that small utility out of the water.

Edited by markb, 20 October 2020 - 10:36 PM.

• Dynan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics