•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Camera Control Softwares

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fred72933

fred72933

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: West Arkansas

Posted 20 October 2020 - 11:42 PM

I was wondering if there was a list somewhere that shows which control softwares were compatible with which cameras.

I’m looking for software that works with the Celestron NightScape 8300. I have the AstroFX program from Celestron but was wondering who else made software that worked with it. I have the ASCOM driver but that only allows black and white images I hear.

Thanks!

#2 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:55 AM

Hi Fred:

I would be very surprised if the ASCOM driver only allowed B&W images.  I think I'd check with Celestron on that.

The ASCOM driver is the standard "go-between" for software and cameras.  If your camera has an ASCOM driver, it will work with any software that supports ASCOM - and they pretty much all do.

I'd check out NINA.  It's free and should work with your camera.

-Dan

• Raginar likes this

#3 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:01 AM

The ASCOM driver might be pulling b-w because it doesn't debayer the image. We usually save that till we'll processing images.

#4 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:10 AM

The ASCOM driver might be pulling b-w because it doesn't debayer the image. We usually save that till we'll processing images.

Good point!  

The image just looks B&W because it hasn't been debayered.  ALL images are in fact B&W from the sensor, until something picks out the red, green and blue pixels from the bayer matrix, and combines them into color pixels.  In a DSLR, that is done in the camera.  In an astro camera, it is not.  As Raginar points out, that is done in your processing software.

I use SGP, which shows a preview of the image immediately after being captured.  This shows up as B&W because SGP does not debayer the image.  Some image capture software will debayer and show you the image in color.  But either way, the image is stored in a file as B&W, and must be debayered by your processing software, usually during stacking.

-Dan

#5 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Soyuz

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:23 AM

I use SGP, which shows a preview of the image immediately after being captured.  This shows up as B&W because SGP does not debayer the image.  Some image capture software will debayer and show you the image in color.  But either way, the image is stored in a file as B&W, and must be debayered by your processing software, usually during stacking.

-Dan

If I am using my OSC camera with SGP and want to get a color preview of what the image will look like, I can use SharpCap and the Camera Folder option to pick up subs taken by SGP in real time, debayer and live stack.  Using the camera folder option I can also tweak the livestack settings, rewind and restack. Of course this is just for previewing and I do my normal calibration/registration/integration/post-processing in PixInsight afterwards. Who said you can’t have your cake and eat it too. 

#6 fred72933

fred72933

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: West Arkansas

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:41 PM

Hi Fred:

I would be very surprised if the ASCOM driver only allowed B&W images.  I think I'd check with Celestron on that.

The ASCOM driver is the standard "go-between" for software and cameras.  If your camera has an ASCOM driver, it will work with any software that supports ASCOM - and they pretty much all do.

I'd check out NINA.  It's free and should work with your camera.

-Dan

Thanks, Dan,

I got that impression because SharpCap only works with the NightScape by ASCOM and will only provide monochrome images. I mistakenly thought it was that way with all software that used the ASCOM drivers. I will check out Nina.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics