•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finally! -No clouds @ home...but quite a few on Mars. ;)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:06 AM

Hi all - we finally got to image on a passable night at home on the 18th...somewhat amazing because clouds have torpedoed nearly all our efforts here except for a few poor outcomes in lousy seeing.

So it was quite nice to find that Mars itself displayed quite a bit of cloud, over S. Meridiani, Deucalionis Regio, Aurorae Sinus etc & of course both limbs & the North Polar Hood... smile.gif The best display/coverage we've been privileged to see/capture this year when (certainly for us) there has only been limb & Polar Hood clouds mainly to date...

Here's our annotated image of the night's results: rgb @ 150% with an annotated version...as well as the rgb, r, g & b at around capture scale.

I'm starting to put together the images but we're holding our breaths in the hope that we can grab Syrtis Major full-faced in 5 or 6 days time fingerscrossed.gif to complete the vistas - probably have to travel to Yongala or Hawker to do so if the forecasts hold the way they presently suggest...but if it does then we'll be extremely happy in an apparition where we thought we'd be really scraping to get any decent images! smile.gif

Pattie came up with the thread title - a very apposite one, I thought..! lol.gif waytogo.gif

Anyway, here's the images from the night at home - I'll post a compendium of the images here in the next post but only at 77% of captures scale - & a jpeg to boot - unfortunately due to CN file-size limitations...but I'll provide a link to our website & a full-sized .png-24 image (well over 1Mb) for anyone wanting to see it there.

mars20201018_144418_rgb_dpm@150%FIN.jpg

Edited by Kokatha man, 21 October 2020 - 05:17 AM.

• zjc26138, Sunspot, Magellanico and 50 others like this

#2 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Messenger

• Loc: Delaware beaches

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:15 AM

Nice image.  Also, I love seeing images with planetary detail labeled.  That is an educational service for many on CN, myself included!

• dcaponeii likes this

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:16 AM

Here's the compendium of images - we need a "filler" between the images in the 1st column & the 2nd as currently shown...this 2nd displays Syrtis Major setting (rhs) but if we're lucky we'll have that Syrtis Major soon fingerscrossed.gif to just about span Mars' globe.

Anything I post on CN will then have to be highly-compressed to fit it here...this is a jpeg at only 77% of capture scale as I said in the first post - you will still need to click on the thumbnail here to see it at the largest sizing I can fit. (77% capture scale)

But you can go to our website where the wonderful Pattie has uploaded the .png-24 in this link: http://www.momilika....IN ExtraSet.png but you will still need to click on that set of images when you get there to see it at the proper size! wink.gif

More images, plus a short blue animation later...

CaptureScaleCompendium-FIN+ExtraSet@77%.jpg

Edited by Kokatha man, 21 October 2020 - 05:19 AM.

• zjc26138, JMP, Deven Matlick and 14 others like this

#4 Quaternion

Quaternion

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:41 AM

Wow.  Just wow.  Can't wait for the animation.

#5 AstroPotamus

AstroPotamus

Mariner 2

• Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:11 AM

I'm so jealous.  This is the best shot I was able to get in the two hour window Saturday night when it wasn't raining.

Attached Thumbnails

• mars.jpg

• TerryWood likes this

#6 tchelo

tchelo

Sputnik

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:37 AM

Hi all - we finally got to image on a passable night at home on the 18th...somewhat amazing because clouds have torpedoed nearly all our efforts here except for a few poor outcomes in lousy seeing.

<...snip...>

Impressive! I am surprised though that you did not label the Schiaparelli Crater - You captured it beautifully...!

#7 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:56 AM

Impressive! I am surprised though that you did not label the Schiaparelli Crater - You captured it beautifully...!

Thank you everyone - appreciated! smile.gif

If you look at the compendium of images you'll see that feature in a couple...I've annotated it beforehand in anther 150% image & I have no wish to place the same annotations over & over again, they'll all be loaded onto our website soon enough: I'll do it for some regions to place reference features between one annotated image & another adjacent image, but that's about all...there are plenty of other craters also that could be catalogued in the images, but that's for a later date - at 71 it's an effort to stay vigilant & just get out there to image whenever we can - that's why getting the chance to do it from home was a bonus for this latest one! smile.gif

I've still got some data to post from this session but I look at the project as a "steady as I go" affair. I'm past the eager schoolboy phase of rushing to get our images posted or sent to the various agencies! gramps.gif  Of course if we detect something dramatic (not likely on Mars, more so on Neptune) I'd rush to send out an alert..! lol.gif

• tchelo likes this

#8 descott12

descott12

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:31 AM

Fantastic shots. I am curious about the blue channel. It doesn't seem to provide much information but all the best RGB imagers seem to include it. It must provide some benefit or is it just needed for color balance??

Edited by descott12, 21 October 2020 - 08:58 AM.

#9 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:56 AM

I love how well you've captured the clouds, Darryl.  Martian clouds seem to be increasing now, and I'm hoping for a few nice days in the coming week to try to capture them myself.

I also notice that Hellas has changed from almost a uniform gray to a region with much clearer surface details.  I know I'm not the first to note this, but I thought it was just because resolution for smaller scopes like my C9.25 improved past some threshold for picking out these details as we got closer.  But your C14 images show the same change.  What physically would cause this change?  Dusty fog dissipating? 

#10 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2020 - 03:21 PM

Thank you to everyone! :)

Dave, apart from the colour balance the blue channel can pick up a lot of detail, theoretically providing the best resolution but very subject to seeing: it is where (most of) the cloud information comes from also. ;)

Hi Ray - yes, detail in Hellas appears to come & go...your guess is as good as mine...especially this early in the day when I couldn't sleep much last night after over-exerting myself in the garden yesterday! :lol:

• KiwiRay and descott12 like this

#11 leoyasu

leoyasu

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:11 PM

Amazing takes Darryl, as usual! +1 on KiwiRay's comment, beautiful treatment on clouds.

#12 Foc

Foc

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:01 PM

Dazzling work Darryl,

The change in the shape of the ice cap as Mars rotates stands out and looking at the clouds in your blue channel is very interesting.

I was thinking your big set of Mars images on screenshot 3 suggests that you could issue a commemorative set of dishes or saucers for this 2020 Mar Opposition.  A different way to have clouds in your coffee

• Kokatha man likes this

#13 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:14 PM

superb work , thanks .

#14 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:58 PM

A most excellent set of images Darryl, and the annotations continue to be a welcome addition, as I'm sure everyone will agree!

#15 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:22 PM

Thanks once again for the posts & the "Likes" from everyone! :)

I was thinking your big set of Mars images on screenshot 3 suggests that you could issue a commemorative set of dishes or saucers for this 2020 Mar Opposition.  A different way to have clouds in your coffee

Ross - that is so idiotic that I like the idea..!?! :rofl:

...sort of around a wide rim of a small (or large) plate - I've asked Pattie to investigate...pre-orders accepted..! :rofl:

The forecasts are chopping & changing & it's still a long way from Thursday morning till Sunday/Monday nights...but we live in hope! ;)

I love to get the Summer gardens going (veggies, that is) although my body tells me that possibly I don't after my agony last night :lol: but I'm really looking forward (hopefully) to not constantly scanning the forecasts & checking WinJUPOS to see which Mars vista is where for hopeful occasions in the next 10 days while it is still 20" or so: we'll still continue to image as Mars shrinks but in a more leisurely way as far as being constantly looking for when & where - I still have a Neptune set from nearly 2 weeks ago to process!

Watering & watching the garden grow will be nice! :)

In the meantime it's getting ready for a (hopeful) trip to Hawker (450km/180miles) on Saturday or Sunday...

• Foc likes this

#16 Unknownastron

Unknownastron

Apollo

• Loc: CatsEye Observatory,Rural Southern Oklahoma

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:46 PM

Great images!  I have given up most photography and gone back to visual, but the two compliment each other.  The most recent clear night my wife saw clouds in the atmosphere of mars.  We hope to get a good night tomorrow.

Clear skies and clean glass,

Mike

#17 h2ologg

h2ologg

Ranger 4

• Loc: Southern California Beach area

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:51 PM

Simply breathtaking Darryl!!!!!  It doesn't make sense how good these images are.  I'm throwing my images out.

Dan

#18 Vega700

Vega700

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:49 AM

Some of the best images this season Darryl, and you can see the ADC sharpening up the blue channels.waytogo.gif

#19 HentySky

HentySky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:54 AM

Darryl, great set of vistas, hope you get Syrtis Major soon.  I got it 2 nights ago.  I am missing Elysium Planitia/Terra Cimmeria, that will appear in about a week for me.

#20 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:35 PM

Thanks once again fellas - we hope we get a chance re the remaining Mars aspects on this coming Sunday or Monday - at Hawker probably... fingerscrossed.gif

#21 troyt

troyt

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 23 October 2020 - 07:08 AM

Good image Darryl and hopefully some cloud free nights waytogo.gif  

#22 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 07:55 AM

Thanks Troy - & for the "likes" everyone!

The annotated images are now all uploaded onto our website at: https://momilika.net...ars2020Pics.htm  but each image can be clicked on to take you to another page where they can be clicked on again to bring each up to their full scaling. wink.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics