•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

7x50 ww2 vintage U.S. NAVY BINO?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 publin

publin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:08 PM

HI!    is  some one   familiar   with  this vintage bino  sale on UK EBAY?   on   prism  plate    writen   U.S.A NAVY 1944  on  the   right  obgective barell    3rd marine division    william e.  riley 315924.     the  body  like the  candian  7x50  REL    from  the  ww2  era.  pictures   not so  sharp   take from my   laptop    but  the  writen    above  is  the   details  on the bino  body   https://www.ebay.co....ar/333742436055

Attached Thumbnails

• P_20201021_193623.jpg
  • P_20201021_193754.jpg
  • P_20201021_193726.jpg

Edited by publin, 22 October 2020 - 05:10 AM.

#2 Pinewood

Pinewood

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:54 PM

Hello Publin,

What is written on the other prism plate, which may read "New York" and more, perhaps someone's initials.?  RWJ?

This binocular is a Porro II type, which I do not think was ever a US Navy or US Marine Corps contracted binocular, during WWII.  In fact, I do not think the Navy ever contracted for a PORRO II binocular.  Clearly, it was used by a US marine, named Willian E.  Riley 

I am going to guess that William E, Riley is the same as:

https://en.wikipedia...illiam_E._Riley

who served as assistant Division commander of the Third Marine division.  I am going to guess that 314924 was his serial number.

Another guess is that this binocular was privately acquired by General Riley from whoever those initials stand for.  

Do you have a link to the ebay posting?

Stay safe,

Arthur Pinewood

#3 Ant1

Ant1

Messenger

Posted 21 October 2020 - 01:11 PM

Hi

For reference the link to the sale is https://www.ebay.co....ar/333742436055

The binoculars are a pair of british Ross 7x50 on which engraving seems to have been performed quite recently. Looking at the seller's other items, some other one seem to bear similar engravings.

In my view the engraving is completely phoney and is a rather crude attempt at boosting sale value by luring the uneducated buyer into believing the binoculars were once the property of William E. Riley

Regards

Ant1

• Jon Isaacs, FrankL and Foss like this

#4 FrankL

FrankL

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Posted 21 October 2020 - 01:31 PM

Hi

For reference the link to the sale is https://www.ebay.co....ar/333742436055

The binoculars are a pair of british Ross 7x50 on which engraving seems to have been performed quite recently. Looking at the seller's other items, some other one seem to bear similar engravings.

In my view the engraving is completely phoney and is a rather crude attempt at boosting sale value by luring the uneducated buyer into believing the binoculars were once the property of William E. Riley

Regards

Ant1

I entirely agree with this assessment. Well spotted. 

• Foss likes this

#5 Cestus

Cestus

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 21 October 2020 - 01:33 PM

Always impressed with the knowledge on this site.

• Foss likes this

#6 MisterDan

MisterDan

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 21 October 2020 - 02:16 PM

The binocular's prism plate engravings are upside-down, as well, relative to in-use orientation. The barrel engraving simply looks...wrong - in both orientation and font.

I then began noting my observations with regard to the engraving on each/every personalized item in seller's store, but it became far too tiresome.  Some of them are actually worthy of a chuckle and rolled eyes.

Best wishes.

Dan

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#7 opticchase

opticchase

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Mission Viejo, CA

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:29 PM

This is a good mystery. Why would someone go through the trouble to disassemble the prism caps, grind off the original Ross markings, repaint  then re-mark them and offer them for 50 pounds British? Seller will not get rich that way? Why should the markings look traditional when the entire glass is marked non-traditional.  The glass fraud would have been targeted for the collector community but, we in the community would reject that as seen here.  Very interesting Watson.

Richard

On the other hand maybe they were targeted for the military collector community.   I still think 50lbs is a low start for all that effort.

Edited by opticchase, 21 October 2020 - 10:55 PM.

#8 publin

publin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:44 AM

Hello Publin,

What is written on the other prism plate, which may read "New York" and more, perhaps someone's initials.?  RWJ?

This binocular is a Porro II type, which I do not think was ever a US Navy or US Marine Corps contracted binocular, during WWII.  In fact, I do not think the Navy ever contracted for a PORRO II binocular.  Clearly, it was used by a US marine, named Willian E.  Riley 

I am going to guess that William E, Riley is the same as:

https://en.wikipedia...illiam_E._Riley

who served as assistant Division commander of the Third Marine division.  I am going to guess that 314924 was his serial number.

Another guess is that this binocular was privately acquired by General Riley from whoever those initials stand for.  

Do you have a link to the ebay posting?

Stay safe,

Arthur Pinewood

Arthur!   I  post   the  EBAY  UK   sale.   they look   original  made  and maybe  rarely   product  series.  but  the  big   qustion  is  there quality  comparison   to   sard   7X50  MK21  OR MK28  or the  ROSS "Ross supplied the military during WW 1 and WW 2, manufactured at their London plants in Clapham, Camberwell & Bittacy Hill. The most well known of the military binoculars are the British Army's 7x50 Prismatic No.5. They were derived from the Ross Stepnite,"    I   believe    they  are   real   NO  facke  bino  as  ANT1   said.   

#9 publin

publin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 11:45 AM

HI!    is  some one   familiar   with  this vintage bino  sale on UK EBAY?   on   prism  plate    writen   U.S.A NAVY 1944  on  the   right  obgective barell    3rd marine division    william e.  riley 315924.     the  body  like the  candian  7x50  REL    from  the  ww2  era.  pictures   not so  sharp   take from my   laptop    but  the  writen    above  is  the   details  on the bino  body   https://www.ebay.co....ar/333742436055

probably   this  is  ROSS  7X50    review     by  Simon    SPIER https://www.flickr.c...57623391404840/ S P

Edited by publin, 22 October 2020 - 11:46 AM.

#10 opticchase

opticchase

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Mission Viejo, CA

Posted 22 October 2020 - 12:48 PM

Ebay UK auction number

#11 Pinewood

Pinewood

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W

Posted 22 October 2020 - 12:50 PM

Hello Publin,

It is a real 7x50 binocular.  It is not a US Navy binocular.  Others say it is a Ross, with which I cannot argue.  The picture shows a binocular with what looks like purging points, so it may be later than WWII and thus likely to have never been owned by General Riley while he was in the Third Marine Division.  By 1948, he was in Palestine, serving with the UN truce supervision. 

Why someone would doctor a binocular like this, assuming the seller was the one who doctored it is a good question.

Before googling was common, I passed on an unusual Zeiss binocular, which turned out to have been the private property of a destroyer skipper off Omaha Beach on D-Day.  Many things are possible.

Stay safe,

Arthur 

#12 publin

publin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 02:24 PM

Hello Publin,

It is a real 7x50 binocular.  It is not a US Navy binocular.  Others say it is a Ross, with which I cannot argue.  The picture shows a binocular with what looks like purging points, so it may be later than WWII and thus likely to have never been owned by General Riley while he was in the Third Marine Division.  By 1948, he was in Palestine, serving with the UN truce supervision. 

Why someone would doctor a binocular like this, assuming the seller was the one who doctored it is a good question.

Before googling was common, I passed on an unusual Zeiss binocular, which turned out to have been the private property of a destroyer skipper off Omaha Beach on D-Day.  Many things are possible.

Stay safe,

Arthur 

HI  Arthur!   open  my  link   -    review     by  Simon    SPIER https://www.flickr.c...57623391404840/ S   it is   the  same  bino  but without  the  engravings  or any   sketch  like     US NAVY   or   RWJ   or  WILLIAM E. RILEY  this   realy  odd   for this bino! regards  -  publin

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics