•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OSC, LPR and Dual Band filters

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MarcoItaly

MarcoItaly

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:28 PM

Giving the latest developments in CMOS technology that basically threw CCD technology in the bin, I was wondering if the combination of a very good OSC camera plus LPR filter and/or Dual Narrow Band filter can substitute a mono camera with RGB and Narrow Band filters.

OSC + LPR would be used for galaxies, clusters, reflection nebulae and OSC + Dual Band filter would be used for emission nebulae.

This would reduce overall filter number and maybe postprocessing...

What do you think?

Marco

#2 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Apollo

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:47 PM

There is a lot of discussion regarding multi-band filters with a OSC here on the CN. I don't believe shooting LRGBHa is going to be as good as with a mono camera as the OSC cameras have the RGGB Bayer filters block 50% of the light in the R & B spectrum.

I have an ASI294MC-Pro and will be getting a tri-band filter next year after I get guiding sorted out on my kit. Also, living in a Bortle 6 sky means using at least a sky glow filter is required and I current use an Orion Sky Glow filter which does its best to filter out my night sky but there are better sky glow filters.

#3 nic35

nic35

Apollo

Posted 21 October 2020 - 01:02 PM

You can find a lot of very good nformation here:  http://karmalimbo.com/aro/

Jim is pretty active on CN

john

• luvsungriter likes this

#4 MarcoItaly

MarcoItaly

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 03:38 AM

John,

that's a wonderful information source!

Thanks

Marco

#5 OrionSword

OrionSword

Messenger

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:13 AM

Here is a 10-min sub using a QHY268C with a 7nm Ha filter through SVQ100@F/5.8 , red channel extracted.  Yes OSC can do narrow band.  I have both mono and OSC cameras.

NGC7635_Ha_QHY268C_RedChannel.jpg

Edited by OrionSword, 22 October 2020 - 08:15 AM.

#6 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 22 October 2020 - 10:20 AM

Ugh, thanks to my Triad Ultra my monochrome gear has pretty much been retired. I really liked using it, but color cameras and multi-band filters have steadily improved to the point where I can get results that are as good or even a tad better with a _lot_ less fiddling.

Food for thought.

#7 MarcoItaly

MarcoItaly

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 10:39 AM

John,

exactly what I was wondering...

#8 JamesTX

JamesTX

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 22 October 2020 - 10:56 AM

I'm in the midst of finding out with my asi1600mm and asi533.  Sadly my asi1600 died, its been sent in for repairs but I've been without it now for months and don't expect it back for a couple more months :(

That said... in my limited work with both cameras.. I still think for pure SHO palettes I prefer the mono.  For broadband targets.. I actually think the 533 does a slightly better job.  The noise is so low with it once I hit a certain integration level... though this may have more to do with the two sensors and less to do with mono vs osc.  I'm also in a bortle 4.  Cant speak to LP filters because I don't own any.

I'm thinking about using my s2 filter with the 533 and combining it with l-extreme data to see how it does with a true SHO combination.  Should make for an interesting experiment.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics