•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY600M optical fiber ports & card question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 deonb

deonb

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:05 PM

What is the protocol that the QHY600M runs to their "PCIE Graber" card? I see their PCIE card come with a set of SFP+ to FC-FC transceivers, so I'm hopeful it's something standard like 10GbE Fiber Ethernet or 8 or 16 GB Fiber Channel?

If anybody has that setup right now, can you perhaps post the the model number on the SFP+ transceivers on the "PCIE Graber" card?

Reason for asking: I have both 10GbE Fiber Ethernet and an 8 FB Fiber Channel Fabric at home over an OM3 network (including to the observatory). It would be very useful if I can connect to a camera over a switched protocol instead of a protocol that's bound to a single device. e.g. Sometimes it would be nice capturing directly to my processing PC instead of to my observatory PC.

Edited by deonb, 21 October 2020 - 05:08 PM.

#2 dghent

dghent

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:00 AM

There's a post I made earlier this year about this, which includes some movies.

I know it's not an open protocol but the details of it are unpublished at the moment. The PCIe capture card implements a Xylinx FPGA that replaces completely the USB connection between the host and camera. The SFP+ modules that shipped with my sample were, surprisingly, 10GBASE-IR 1310nm (blue banded), so 2km range single mode signalling. They're unbranded, and I haven't yet read their EEPROM info to get the manufacturing codes because the host I use in my house for 10Gb NIC driver testing for $DAYJOB has all its ports filled with $DAYJOB-related stuff at the moment. I do want to test DAC connections with this, though. I just need to get some DAC cables that are long enough for my office setup and the peecee that the PCIe card is sitting in at the moment.

Commands from the host are multiplexed over the 2x 10Gb connections and frame data and camera telemetry is received the same way. In its current state, both connections must be present (you can't run with just 1, but then again why would you.) QHY does want to get the on-board FPGA running with an IP stack and be able to talk over a UDP-based protocol which would obviate the need for the PCIe frame grabber and allow use of generic 10Gb NICs (Intel X520, X550, Myrinet, etc). They're working on that in the background amongst their other projects.

The frame rates over the existing PCIe frame grabber is very consistent when running the camera via SharpCap, which runs the camera in stream mode. 4fps for full 16bit resolution with an early version of the QHY SDK in pace. This is 480MB/s of frame data, or just under 4Gb/s of data that the camera is pushing out. While this doesn't get close to filling the 2x10Gb/s pipes, It would seem that the bottleneck is the FPGA or the host CPU. At any rate, 5fps at full resolution is pretty mighty and you would still need backing storage that would be able to ingest that data rate. FPS increases in a predictable manner as one specifies smaller ROIs on the sensor.

• deonb likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics