•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nervous about my scope on order..

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Sheol

Sheol

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:51 PM

I'm waiting on a 12 inch truss tube Orion intelliscope. It was supposed to ship today, but apparently some components are not yet here. I have never before purchased a Scope from a company directly before. Are such delays common or unusual. Or are they common now because of the Pandemic? In the past, I have had many, many dealings with Orion with no problems at all. But that was for oculars, filters, other equipment, & an equipment case. I just ordered a red LED flashlight & a light-shroud for the 12 inch. They are already here. Am I just being too nervous? 

Anyway, between the Moon & the weather here, there won't be much time for DSO hunting with a new scope or my old 8Xti. Well, the planets are out & Mars is pretty darn spectacular this year. wink.gif smile.gif

Clear skies,

Matt.

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:57 PM

They are common now because of COVID-19.  COVID-19 delays...!

• Pinbout likes this

#3 whizbang

whizbang

Viking 1

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:12 PM

I ordered an Orion Mak back in July.  The order got rescheduled three times but finally showed up.  Just be patient.

#4 aa6ww

aa6ww

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:22 PM

There is still plenty to see even with the moon in the sky. On moon lit weekends, I focus more on stary objects like Open clusters, globulars, double stars even just plane ol' nebulas since they can be enhanced with a filter. There are always planets in the sky, the most fun to me are Uranus and Neptune, since they are challanging to locate.Its also just fun to polish up your astronomy techniques on whatever it is you are doing.

Cold weather isnt so fun any more, unless I do this with friends, then we use propane heaters and all is good.

...Ralph

#5 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:36 PM

Orion has good customer service and will take care of you if there are any issues.  Astro accessories and Dobs have been hit/miss for a while due to the pandemic.  At least you have a scope to use while you await the new one.

• cuzimthedad and helpwanted like this

#6 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Messenger

• Loc: Owensboro, KY

Posted 22 October 2020 - 12:30 AM

I've never had a problem with Orion, with the exception of the 8" Intelliscope I had. It was when the Intelliscope line just came out. It came with a few scratches on the primary. Everyone says not to shine a flashlight down the tube because if there is dust, you'll want to clean it. But if I did do that as soon as I got it, I would've noticed it in time and sent it back for a replacement. Now I know why my views were terrible. I just got an Orion XT10" Plus and checked the mirror right out of the box. No blemishes. Now, I'm just waiting for the first hard frost to kill off the bugs. I won't tolerate bugs setting up shop in my scope.

~Robin

• cuzimthedad and stargazer193857 like this

#7 Sheol

Sheol

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 12:50 PM

Why? Do you leave it set-up outside between observing sessions? I haven't had any issues even with flying insects getting in the scope. Drinking blood from the astronomer, now that is another matter! LOL

OK, I've re-read Orion's notice. It doesn't sound too bad. I'd rather wait instead of getting it in different sections. anyway. That would be much more frustrating!

The 8 inch is getting used now, mostly thanks to Mars. wink.gif

Sincerely,

Matt

PS. But it does show some of its age, I got it back in 2009 & it saw heavy use for several years including my unforgettable trip to Ft. Davis for the TSP in 2010. Where I met some Cloudynights vets & alumni. It has a few dings, nothing major, but I've noticed the base bearing will no longer turn easy like it used to do..

#8 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Messenger

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:29 PM

Why? Do you leave it set-up outside between observing sessions?

No. I've never left my scopes outside. Skeeters are another matter. I must put out a lot of CO2 cause they love me. We have a problem with Brown Recluse spiders and ants so they are not welcome here. That's bad cause it's a new house!

#9 Sheol

Sheol

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:50 PM

Spiders are not too bad, but the Mozzies are awful here, too. Somehow just a trace of water is enough for some species to multiply. They are not as big as mosquitos on the East Coast & in the area near you ( I lived in east Tenn. for about 4 years) but they bite just the same. Also, we have Fire Ants. I put that in caps because if you get stung by just one you would know why. And some people think this is a safe hobby made up by boring people who never take chances. lol.gif

Well, the weather is going to turn nasty just about the time the new scope arrives. Figures. I better haul out the smaller Intelliscope tonight before the first cold front gets here in the morning.

Clear Skies,

Matt.

#10 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Messenger

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:38 PM

Spiders are not too bad, but the Mozzies are awful here, too. Somehow just a trace of water is enough for some species to multiply. They are not as big as mosquitos on the East Coast & in the area near you ( I lived in east Tenn. for about 4 years) but they bite just the same. Also, we have Fire Ants. I put that in caps because if you get stung by just one you would know why. And some people think this is a safe hobby made up by boring people who never take chances. lol.gif

Well, the weather is going to turn nasty just about the time the new scope arrives. Figures. I better haul out the smaller Intelliscope tonight before the first cold front gets here in the morning.

Clear Skies,

Matt.

I found out the hard way that the skeeters here can bite through jeans. I never thought that possible but I have the bite marks to prove it. One thing that bothers me the most is BATS!! Sometimes I wonder if their echolocation is off cause they get close. And I haven't been vaccinated against rabies. My nephew is going to love this scope. I don't expect Hubble images, but I hope, images better than my XT8". The images of Jupiter were smaller than the size of your laughing emoji through the 8".

~Robin

#11 Sheol

Sheol

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 05:59 PM

Bats don't bother me at all. In fact, I have done some wild caving in the past. Do not mind bats, they get some awfully bad press. What startled me more than anything ( & I have told this story on CN many years ago) was the barn owl that snatched a wood rat out of a bush right behind my shoulder. We had almost a plauque of rodents that year, inside & out. Also, I nearly melted at the EP, terrible heatwave. LOL

Now? Its turned cloudy, windy, rainy. Probably stay that way through the delivery & time for 1st light of my new 'Scope. 

Clear Skies,

Matt.

#12 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 October 2020 - 06:43 PM

Bats don't bother me at all. In fact, I have done some wild caving in the past. Do not mind bats, they get some awfully bad press. What startled me more than anything ( & I have told this story on CN many years ago) was the barn owl that snatched a wood rat out of a bush right behind my shoulder. We had almost a plauque of rodents that year, inside & out. Also, I nearly melted at the EP, terrible heatwave. LOL

Now? Its turned cloudy, windy, rainy. Probably stay that way through the delivery & time for 1st light of my new 'Scope. 

Clear Skies,

Matt.

That’s what you get for making your CN moniker Hebrew for “hell”lol.gif

Edited by Spikey131, 23 October 2020 - 06:44 PM.

• 25585 likes this

#13 Dennis Tap

Dennis Tap

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: 53° N, The Netherlands, Bortle 5

Posted 23 October 2020 - 07:10 PM

I'm waiting on a 12 inch truss tube Orion intelliscope.

In Europe we have the solid tube... https://nimax-img.de...liScope-DOB.jpg

Uhm that scope doesn't come in a truss tube form?

• 25585 likes this

#14 helpwanted

helpwanted

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:24 PM

I've never had a problem with Orion, with the exception of the 8" Intelliscope I had. It was when the Intelliscope line just came out. It came with a few scratches on the primary. Everyone says not to shine a flashlight down the tube because if there is dust, you'll want to clean it. But if I did do that as soon as I got it, I would've noticed it in time and sent it back for a replacement. Now I know why my views were terrible. I just got an Orion XT10" Plus and checked the mirror right out of the box. No blemishes. Now, I'm just waiting for the first hard frost to kill off the bugs. I won't tolerate bugs setting up shop in my scope.

~Robin

I had bats buzzing my head in the spring time!

#15 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Messenger

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:50 PM

I had bats buzzing my head in the spring time!

That makes my skin crawl when they do that. That's why my scope is dormant during the spring and summer. I try to do some night fishing but the bats run me off. I know if it weren't for them we would be up to our eyeballs in bugs. So I try to stay out of their way while they do their thing.

~Robin

#16 HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Sheboygan Falls, WI

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:36 AM

I ordered my 10" Orion using the "build a scope" where you can pick and choose components.  I ordered on 8/17/20 and they said same thing...some things were back order.  Then finally about 2 weeks ago (approx 2 months later) it arrived all together in one day.  

I assembled it one afternoon,  final touches the next day.

This morning saw my first view of the Orion Nebula!  Yep, well worth the wait.  In the meantime, I was able to do a lot of learning online and on this site.  the folks here helped me above and beyond as a newbee.

Patience was key for me.  In hindsight I could have done more learning, as this was my 1st scope ever.  I jumped right on in to the deep end of the pool.  Now I get to learn to swim :).

Edited by HeavensAbove, 24 October 2020 - 07:40 AM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#17 Sheol

Sheol

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2020 - 06:13 PM

Oh, I know what my handle means. Plus, its the name of a character in a Fantasy novel series from the 1970s one of the 1st to start after "Lord of the Rings" became popular with junior high schoolers ( including me..) . Pretty nasty character, actually, LOL. But I took the name back in the 80s mind you. Sheol was a being without a physical body & since we were jumping around on BBS systems it seemed apt at the time. I use it in MMOs ( well 1 or did until FB just killed my access. bawling.gif ) I don't mind the bats, they are probably eating moths & mosquitos.

Hmm, I would never skip an entire season, esp. summer! Man, that is when the center of the Milky Way is right in front of me in my backyard. No way, more things to see, than even Winter. But M.42 is a must see for ANY size scope for me. I cannot wait...

Clear Skies,

Matt

#18 Sheol

Sheol

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:54 PM

Well, this was to be the day my 12xxi shipped. However, my E-mail shows no activity on Orions's part. I guess at this point that not all the parts have come in. I'm still being patient. Actually, if it arrived in the next two days, I don't know if it would see 1st light. I am not feeling well. Looks like I will be getting another Covid test this year. It will be #3. <sigh> Got to do it, I care for my senior, disabled mother.

Clear Skies,

Matt

#19 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 27 October 2020 - 06:24 PM

I found out the hard way that the skeeters here can bite through jeans. I never thought that possible but I have the bite marks to prove it. One thing that bothers me the most is BATS!! Sometimes I wonder if their echolocation is off cause they get close. And I haven't been vaccinated against rabies. My nephew is going to love this scope. I don't expect Hubble images, but I hope, images better than my XT8". The images of Jupiter were smaller than the size of your laughing emoji through the 8".

~Robin

The fact the bats don’t collide with you means there echolocation is excellent. They a zipping around picking off the skeeters/insects closing in to bite you. Don’t worry about the bats, they don’t want to run into you more than you want them to. Where I live as well as where I do most of my observing from have healthy bat populations. The observatory actually has a small pond/swamp less than 50m away. I don’t think I’ve ever had a mosquito bite there, probably because bats are buzzing around me all night long.

Bill

• Old Rookie likes this

#20 Sheol

Sheol

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 01:02 PM

I found that out in Louisiana, when a swarm of flood mosquitos attacked me through my shirt. I had no idea that the mozzies could do that. In La. more observing nights were cut short due to being bitten by these pests than any other reason. BY FAR. In Texas, some years have been bad, some not so much, but there are always a few about. I barely feel the bites anymore. Not a good thing though, here in Texas, they carry West Nile Virus. So you have to be on guard all the time & try to get rid of any standing water. Still, astronomers just seem to have magnetic fields that attract these pests. I would welcome the bats. Love to be observing, say in Carlsbad, N.M. LOL

Clear Skies,

Matt

#21 Sheol

Sheol

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 05:54 PM

Still no movement. Well, even when I ordered the red LED & my light shroud it took a few days before they shipped. I guess the warehouses are short on help now, because of the Pandemic. Covid19 has totally screwed up everyone's lives this year. Does not look like it will get better until well into next year. 

Clear Skies,

Matt.

#22 TheBrianNebula

TheBrianNebula

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:02 PM

I'm waiting on a 12 inch truss tube Orion intelliscope. It was supposed to ship today, but apparently some components are not yet here. I have never before purchased a Scope from a company directly before. Are such delays common or unusual. Or are they common now because of the Pandemic? In the past, I have had many, many dealings with Orion with no problems at all. But that was for oculars, filters, other equipment, & an equipment case. I just ordered a red LED flashlight & a light-shroud for the 12 inch. They are already here. Am I just being too nervous? 

I'm in the same boat, and relieved to know others are experiencing this. My Orion scope was supposed to ship today - have been checking my email every 5 minutes and nothing. Well, I can understand why, but it's frustrating. Mars is getting smaller every day...

• GeoNole94 likes this

#23 GeoNole94

GeoNole94

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Bath, NC

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:01 PM

I have jumped in this same boat, although I am a few weeks out from the projected ship date of my Orion XT10i. OTOH, they have just received and immediately shipped my 7-21x zoom eyepiece a week early, so there is always hope!

#24 jlcop

jlcop

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Meridian, Idaho

Posted 30 October 2020 - 03:21 PM

My 12" Skywatcher Flextube  through Astronomics has been on backorder for almost 6 weeks. We just have to be patient as everyone is doing the best they can. Fortunately I am not in a hurry and  have plenty to observe naked eye while completing the A.L.'s Constellation Hunter Program plus I still have my binoculars and AWB OneSky to pay with.

John

• GeoNole94 likes this

#25 Sheol

Sheol

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 October 2020 - 06:33 PM

Well that is good. I DO still have my 8XTi, though I need to collimate it some more. Or maybe not. Got a SUPERB view of Mars just a couple of weeks ago. Best I've ever had. .But the Finder has take a few hits & quite a few falls, even though I try to check on the tightening screw often. Problem is, I usually try to take the whole thing out as one unit, but there are two doorways out of my bedroom where it resides, & then an old fashioned door ( non-glass sliding ) to my backyard. Well you get the picture. It has had some bumps. Usually very gentle, but over time, things start to get loose..

Clear Skies,

Matt.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics