•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nervous about my scope on order..

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#76 Sheol

Sheol

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2020 - 02:56 PM

Yeah, First Light might end up being Thursday or Friday, but oh well, if I'm going to do DSOs might as well let Luna get at least a couple days past full. That way, I'll have something to see on the Moon, 3 planets & some OCs to view. The Base is now finished, except for maybe a tweak or two. I found my cousin tighten the bolt to the 2 base plates a bit too tight. Now I might have to loosen them. Or maybe not, depending on surface tension. Now onward to the Mirror & OTA!

Clear Skies,

Matt.

#77 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Viking 1

• Loc: Saint Augustine, FL

Posted 01 December 2020 - 01:26 PM

Still waiting on my 10i.  Been waiting since May.  Was supposed to get it mid Nov but that has been pushed back yet again.

#78 Sheol

Sheol

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2020 - 02:10 PM

Now, that one is odd. You should have gotten that by now. It seems the average wait has been 2-3 months for most of us. And I'd think a solid tube would be easier to obtain; but maybe I am looking at it wrong. Truss tubes have been 2 months, maybe 10 inch solid tubes have had a higher demand. 

I had considered a 10 inch before deciding 2 inches was not enough increase in aperture to satisfy me after years with my 8 inch tube. Now I'm glad I did not, since I ordered my 'scope in late August. It would probably not get here until after the new year! I Think Orion has been caught off guard by the number of 'scope orders during the Pandemic.

Clear Skies,

Matt.

#79 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Viking 1

• Loc: Saint Augustine, FL

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:25 PM

Now, that one is odd. You should have gotten that by now. It seems the average wait has been 2-3 months for most of us. And I'd think a solid tube would be easier to obtain; but maybe I am looking at it wrong. Truss tubes have been 2 months, maybe 10 inch solid tubes have had a higher demand. 

I had considered a 10 inch before deciding 2 inches was not enough increase in aperture to satisfy me after years with my 8 inch tube. Now I'm glad I did not, since I ordered my 'scope in late August. It would probably not get here until after the new year! I Think Orion has been caught off guard by the number of 'scope orders during the Pandemic.

Clear Skies,

Matt.

The XT10i must be one of their most popular scopes.  I am first on the waiting list (according to the dealer) but have been waiting since May 2.

I should add that I didn't order from Orion directly, but rather highpoint scientific.  Searching other sites, I don't think anyone else has had one for awhile either.

Edited by Tom Stock, 01 December 2020 - 07:27 PM.

#80 GeoNole94

GeoNole94

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Bath, NC

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:43 PM

I can verify that there are/were no XT10i out there in stock, which is why I bought direct from Orion. Last Thursday I verified directly with Orion’s customer service that their 12/4 ship date for mine was still valid, but this week that date has been apparently been bumped (again) to 12/8. I imagine that hundreds of these scopes are sitting in shipping containers somewhere near or in California, but various factors require tweaking the shipping dates to vendors and customers.

#81 GeoNole94

GeoNole94

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 December 2020 - 10:16 AM

Update: Orion has charged my credit card and Customer Service says that I should get an email later today with the tracking number. WooHoo!

• Bill Jensen and cuzimthedad like this

#82 Sheol

Sheol

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2020 - 02:25 PM

Good news for you! Congratulations. Tom, I think I see your problem. That company has to order the parts from Orion, who in turn get most of them from China. With Covid 19 gumming EVERYTHING up, it explains why you are STILL waiting. I hope you get your scope soon.

Matt.

#83 Mitchell M.

Mitchell M.

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mountains of Western NC

Posted 02 December 2020 - 05:48 PM

Why don't you go ahead and order a xt10i from Orion? They usually have a estimated ship date listed on the website. Keep the order with HighPoint and whichever ships first/charged card, cancel the other.

• GeoNole94 likes this

#84 GeoNole94

GeoNole94

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 December 2020 - 06:42 PM

That is a good idea, the current ship date on the Orion website is 12/8.

#85 Sheol

Sheol

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2020 - 07:22 PM

Now I'm having a problem. My OTA won't quite line up with the Dob base. I cannot get the knob screws to the holes to get them properly aligned and inserted in the OTA. I never considered I would have a problem quite like this. Should I just try to get one in first & then try the other knob? I have done all this blasted work, I do not want to send it back!  I have a chance for first light tomorrow, but I cannot even collimate the thing, if I cannot get it mated to the base. This has been both a joy & a headache both. And why does that seem familiar?

Clear Skies,

Matt.

#86 GeoNole94

GeoNole94

Sputnik

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 02:19 PM

Orion shipped two boxes this morning, so one step closer!

#87 Sheol

Sheol

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 02:47 PM

I must succeed later today, the clouds have returned and gotten thicker than ever. bangbang.gif

#88 Sheol

Sheol

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 07:08 PM

I have discovered the problem. The Fast Stop Knob at the lower front of the base is sticking too far out. I will have to remove some washers tomorrow & see how that will work. Maybe First Light tomorrow? Well, I still have to collimate the beast as well, so there is that...

Clear Skies,

Matt.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics