•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

No surprise

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 George Methvin

George Methvin

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Texas

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:21 PM

I had three scopes out this evening side by side they all had plenty of time to cool down the scopes were a C-6 a 127mak and a 80mm ed refractor. The objects that were viewed were the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn the skies were fairly standee.  When viewing the C-6 gave a much better view on all three object then the other two the 127mak coming in second and the 80mm ed refactor last, this was of course no surprise. All the scopes gave good views of all the objects there was details to be seen through all of them but in the end size does matter on most nights. The views of Saturn through the 80mm ed using a 4mm eyepiece was very sharp but the views through the 127mak was brighter and better with a little more detail to be seen then with the 80mm ed as was the same with the C-6 giving a brighter and more detail image then the 127mak, like I said no surprise to be had here.

• JMP and Rick-T137 like this

#2 Bean614

Bean614

Apollo

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:45 PM

Hello George!  At approximately what powers were you using the C6 and the 127 Mak?  I note that your 4mm in the 80ED is 150X

Thanks George! 

#3 maroubra_boy

maroubra_boy

Vendor - Gondwana Telescopes

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:54 PM

Well, not surprising is it.  In astro it is all about aperture.

HOWEVER, the BEST scope is actually not necessarily the biggest, but the one that gets used.  If all you can afford is a modest 80mm achromat, then THAT scope is the best.  Or if you dread hauling out the 20" dob but use your 8" dob most of the time, then the 8" is better...  And of course the best scope is the one that is best suited to a particular job or conditions - when seeing is not great, that 6" SCT may well play second fiddle to the ED80 on the night...

Semantics, maybe.  But as a wise man once said:  "It all depends" lol.gif

Alex.

• stevew and jjack's like this

#4 George Methvin

George Methvin

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Texas

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:06 PM

Yes I believed I used a 16mm in the 127mak and I believe a 11mm in the C-6 or was it the other way around lol.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics